Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M28 - Cork to Ringaskiddy [advance works pending; 2024 start]

Options
145791055

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 3,092 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl


    From Mahon Point, you'd take the Rochestown railway and up Garryduff, same as now.

    If this doesn't work for you, perhaps you could be slightly more specific on the route origin/destination?


  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21


    How would you cycle from Mahon Point to Cars hill if it was Motorway from the N40?

    The same way you cycle from Mahon Point to Glanmire, using roads which aren't made exclusively for motor traffic


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭kub


    marno21 wrote: »
    The same way you cycle from Mahon Point to Glanmire, using roads which aren't made exclusively for motor traffic

    The River Lee is in the way ;)


  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21


    kub wrote: »
    The River Lee is in the way ;)

    You go via town, as the shortest route is restricted to motor traffic only.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo


    moyners wrote: »
    I'd say they need the space to add a second lane on the other side if I'm not mistaken? Also the lanes are not separated by a barrier - they'll need space to put that in also. Space all the way up the hill is very constrained - either by existing houses or very steep inclines that will need filling in or leveling.

    Fair points. The second lane heading towards the n40 being important right.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus


    Who wants to have a guess at the re-envisaged scheme. I predict.

    1. Mount Oval slip to remain open.
    2. Maryborough Hill slip to remain open.
    3. Access to Carr's Hill junction from Maryborough Hill to be removed.

    Crazy if this happens but I guarantee they'll pander to residents who don't fully understand what they are trying to achieve which is better access to the M28 and better east - west local road access in the area.


  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21


    Who wants to have a guess at the re-envisaged scheme. I predict.

    1. Mount Oval slip to remain open.
    2. Maryborough Hill slip to remain open.
    3. Access to Carr's Hill junction from Maryborough Hill to be removed.

    Crazy if this happens but I guarantee they'll pander to residents who don't fully understand what they are trying to achieve which is better access to the M28 and better east - west local road access in the area.

    4. Once scheme opens frequent moaning from locals who complain that the setup creates congestion.
    5. Several million euros spent fixing the problems, where the money could be better spent on other projects.


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus


    marno21 wrote: »
    4. Once scheme opens frequent moaning from locals who complain that the setup creates congestion.
    5. Several million euros spent fixing the problems, where the money could be better spent on other projects.

    M7 - M20 junction


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭kub


    Who wants to have a guess at the re-envisaged scheme. I predict.

    1. Mount Oval slip to remain open.
    2. Maryborough Hill slip to remain open.
    3. Access to Carr's Hill junction from Maryborough Hill to be removed.

    Crazy if this happens but I guarantee they'll pander to residents who don't fully understand what they are trying to achieve which is better access to the M28 and better east - west local road access in the area.

    This is what i hope will happen, that they will retain everything as originally proposed.
    Have the M28 starting from the Carrs Hill interchange.
    Have a dual carriageway up to motorway standard but with a 100 kph speed limit on the section from Carrs Hill to Bloomfield (N40).
    Retain the existing on and off branches.

    So fast forward a few years after this has opened.

    Just consider all the traffic now on the 100 kph section, all those container trucks etc.
    At the best of times the filter lane onto the existing N28 from Maryborough Hill has a very short and indeed tight filter onto the main road. So it will become more challenging now with all those trucks on the 100kph section of the M28 braking as they do going down that hill.

    With regard to the existing exit for Mount Oval, I can picture trucks crawling up the incline in the direction of Ringaskiddy, I am also imaging impatient car drivers going up the outer lane and cutting in to exit at this point.

    So in the interests of Road Safety, the NRA will decide eventually to shut these slip roads. Then all and sundry will gladly use the Carrs Hill interchange.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo


    kub wrote: »
    With regard to the existing exit for Mount Oval, I can picture trucks crawling up the incline in the direction of Ringaskiddy, I am also imaging impatient car drivers going up the outer lane and cutting in to exit at this point.

    So in the interests of Road Safety, the NRA will decide eventually to shut these slip roads. Then all and sundry will gladly use the Carrs Hill interchange.

    How is this different to now?


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus


    kub wrote: »
    This is what i hope will happen, that they will retain everything as originally proposed.
    Have the M28 starting from the Carrs Hill interchange.
    Have a dual carriageway up to motorway standard but with a 100 kph speed limit on the section from Carrs Hill to Bloomfield (N40).
    Retain the existing on and off branches.

    So fast forward a few years after this has opened.

    Just consider all the traffic now on the 100 kph section, all those container trucks etc.
    At the best of times the filter lane onto the existing N28 from Maryborough Hill has a very short and indeed tight filter onto the main road. So it will become more challenging now with all those trucks on the 100kph section of the M28 braking as they do going down that hill.

    With regard to the existing exit for Mount Oval, I can picture trucks crawling up the incline in the direction of Ringaskiddy, I am also imaging impatient car drivers going up the outer lane and cutting in to exit at this point.

    So in the interests of Road Safety, the NRA will decide eventually to shut these slip roads. Then all and sundry will gladly use the Carrs Hill interchange.

    Only one northbound entrance can remain open. Carr's Hill or Maryborough Hill.

    Having 2 in such a short space would cause havoc on the dual carriageway. There is literally no reason to maintain Maryborough slip and every reason to have a 4 slip dumbbell at Carr's Hill.


  • Registered Users Posts: 78,316 ✭✭✭✭Victor


    Ludo wrote: »
    How is this different to now?
    With Tivoli closed to container traffic, there will be a lot more trucks between Douglas and Ringaskiddy.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo


    Victor wrote: »
    With Tivoli closed to container traffic, there will be a lot more trucks between Douglas and Ringaskiddy.

    Will it really make that much of a difference? Don't know the numbers so not sure.
    I also hope they address some of the points raised in the consultation report about Coach Hill. This road is totally unsuitable for extra traffic which may use it to get from Rochestown Road to the new interchange. Anyway..plans will be published in 30 mins.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo


    Update
    What's Happening Now?

    Cork County Council, in partnership with Transport Infrastructure Ireland (TII, formerly NRA), has today launched a public consultation on the next stage of the M28 Cork to Ringaskiddy Motorway Scheme.

    The Preferred Route Alignment and Junction Strategy for the M28 Cork to Ringaskiddy Motorway Scheme provides for 10.9km of motorway standard dual carriageway from Bloomfield to Barnahely and 1.6km of single carriageway from Barnahely to east of Ringaskiddy.

    As part of the proposed scheme a new link road from Maryborough Hill southwards to Carr’s Hill (R609) and joining the M28 will be provided, replacing the existing slip road at Maryborough Hill, which will be closed. The diverge lane and off-ramp at Mount Oval will be retained and upgraded. The proposed scheme also includes junctions at Bloomfield/Rochestown Road, Carr’s Hill, Shannonpark and Shanbally, with new roundabouts at Barnahely, Loughbeg and Ringaskiddy. A new motorway service area at Ringaskiddy also forms part of the plan.

    http://www.n28cork-ringaskiddy.com/Preferred%20Route%20Alignment%20Drawings.pdf


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus


    Ludo wrote: »

    The new Carr's Hill layout is beyond ludicrous.

    Instead of having a link road through Maryborough Ridge, the link road will now shoot northwards. Residents will still have to drive as far as before, but now the road is probably less useful as it doesn't align near as nicely with the Moneygurney Road as before.

    I have little opinion on the Mount Oval slip. Probably a good thing its being kept open overall.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo


    The new Carr's Hill layout is beyond ludicrous.

    I was worried about commenting in case I was completely misunderstanding the drawing. It seems crazy. To be honest the whole thing seems a mess on initial viewing. There is already a road and roundabout ready to be used at Maryborough Ridge which will now sit there forever disused. That new "link road" seems to make no sense.

    Also..where does it become a motorway? I notice a 60 | 100 note at the current position after bloomfield interchange..when does it become 120?


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus


    Ludo wrote: »
    I was worried about commenting in case I was completely misunderstanding the drawing. It seems crazy. To be honest the whole thing seems a mess on initial viewing. There is already a road and roundabout ready to be used at Maryborough Ridge which will now sit there forever disused. That new "link road" seems to make no sense.

    Its due to Maryborough Hill residents moaning about having to drive up Maryborough Hill to access the Carr's Hill interchange. This new setup is just stupid though.

    Can anyone confirm if the drawing is wrong and that the Maryborough Ride link road will also be done ?


  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek


    The new Carr's Hill layout is beyond ludicrous.

    Instead of having a link road through Maryborough Ridge, the link road will now shoot northwards. Residents will still have to drive as far as before, but now the road is probably less useful as it doesn't align near as nicely with the Moneygurney Road as before.

    I have little opinion on the Mount Oval slip. Probably a good thing its being kept open overall.
    What did they get rid of the connection from Mboro ridge to Carrs Hill interchange for??


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo


    Just had a read through the consultation report (http://www.n28cork-ringaskiddy.com/MCT0597Rp0054_Consultation%20Report_Carrs%20Hill%20Interchange_F01_cover.pdf) and in particular the section about Maryborough Ridge. It does make sense actually now having read that and looked closed at it on google maps. If I was living there, no way would I want an access road to/from a motorway to run through the estate I live in. I thought it was cut off from the actual housing estate...but it isn't.


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus


    Talked to an engineer. Main points:

    1. Traffic calming measures would be required on Maryborough Ridge and the residents objected.
    2. Rochestown Road Roundabout to eventually be signalised. Too much traffic and poor sight lines.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762


    I know this area quite well and the weaving problems coming off the N28 onto the N40 are quite severe. Its an interesting solution, and I think it might just work.


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus


    I know this area quite well and the weaving problems coming off the N28 onto the N40 are quite severe. Its an interesting solution, and I think it might just work.

    As do I. This scheme and the Dunkettle Interchange scheme are going to cause SRR chaos.

    Things are bad enough going westward over the Douglas flyover in the mornings. Traffic queues on both the SRR and the N28.

    The additional flow of traffic will cause huge traffic jams. The only solution will be widening the Douglas flyover to 3 lanes. And that's hugely cost prohibitive.


  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21


    As do I. This scheme and the Dunkettle Interchange scheme are going to cause SRR chaos.

    Things are bad enough going westward over the Douglas flyover in the mornings. Traffic queues on both the SRR and the N28.

    The additional flow of traffic will cause huge traffic jams. The only solution will be widening the Douglas flyover to 3 lanes. And that's hugely cost prohibitive.

    The rate at which freeflow M28, M8 and N25 traffic approach Douglas westbound will increase so much when these schemes are done. The tunnel and Douglas flyover will become serious bottlenecks


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus


    marno21 wrote: »
    The rate at which freeflow M28, M8 and N25 traffic approach Douglas westbound will increase so much when these schemes are done. The tunnel and Douglas flyover will become serious bottlenecks

    Sarsfield and Bandon opening have dramatically increased tailbacks travelling eastbound over the Douglas flyover.

    One obvious solution would be an M28 to N27 link road to send airport traffic up the M28. Won't happen.


  • Registered Users Posts: 78,316 ✭✭✭✭Victor


    Traffic management?

    Toll the bridge between Douglas and Mahon? :)


  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21


    Positive reaction to M28 development
    UPDATED plans for one of Cork’s most important infrastructural projects have been welcomed by residents on the south of the city.
    A two-day public consultation regarding the M28 motorway to Ringaskiddy is currently underway.

    Full article: http://www.eveningecho.ie/cork-news/positive-reaction-m28-development/1972997/


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus


    marno21 wrote: »

    The Echo described the link road through Maryborough Hill as illogical. What? The new 600m link road is a mad solution.


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus


    Victor wrote: »
    Traffic management?

    Toll the bridge between Douglas and Mahon? :)

    Politically improbable I'd say.


  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21


    Victor wrote: »
    Traffic management?

    Toll the bridge between Douglas and Mahon? :)
    No realistic alternative route in place that wouldn't cause gridlock.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym


    Motorway service area in Ringaskiddy is a surprise, I wonder will it include a shop and restaurant?


Advertisement