Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(whisper) drugs?

Options
123457»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Blub2k

I just read back through the whole thread and spotted this.

"an 1/8 oz of Dope now costs roughly £10. £6 less than it did 10 years ago hardly evidence of a cartel forcing prices up,more likely evidence of more and larger shipments"
    CC

Are you talking about the Irish market?
    As a long time smoker an 1/8 of hash has NEVER been as low as £10 in this country for the end user, an eigth costs betwen £15 and £20 with £20 being the norm in Ireland, the going rate for larger amounts varies between about £450 pounds, almost at point of entry when buying a 9OZ bar, up to £800 pounds by the time it gets to the dealer who will chop it up into smaller "deals". A Kg will cost up to £2800 down to as low as £2100 for people who would sell that amount in a week, again this depends on how often they buy and the amounts and source.

With regard to the argument of the government being unable to undercut a dealers price because of taxation, what a load of rubbish. There was recently a bust in Holland (last 5-10 years) where 2 Irishmen were caught on the way back from India with 1.5 Tonnes of Hashish in a converted camper( I dont remember exact details but their flat in the Dam was done too and they had closets converted for storage), the report at the time said the price they had paid for the hashish was £200,000, now divide that by 1500, you get a KG price at point of origin of £133. That's from £133 to £2600 (to strike a middle ground) Are you telling me then that the Governments of the world could not undercut this? The reason for the huge increase in price from A--->B is huge risk and the need to set up elaborate and expensive schemes to outwit the law. So let the government take control of it and they can still add on quite a substantial sum of money and they will not have the costs and risks associated with smuggling so they can do this easily. If this happenes then Mr. Smuggler is still evading tax and customs by smuggling and with a product as bulky as Hash or even bulkier weed they will no longer take the risk if the profit to be gained is so much lower then presently.

Please people whereby you do NOT all need to have taken a drug or even have any experience as to it's use etc do not quote BS to fortify your points, someone had that problem already earlier in the thread.

P.S and if it isn't BS then please post your details I'd be glad if you could hook me up with some dope from your mega cheap source.(j/k)

P.P.S 10 FL which translates as roughly £4 is about right for the standard house dope that Bob was talking about in Holland, not the mega Nepali **** or whatever you buy when you go over ask the next time for "Frantje krantjes" (moroccan hash named after the french daily newspapers laid between slabs when smuggling it) that should cost about £4. I have lived 6 years in North Germany and travelled to NL on a regular basis to get good quality weed, the need however died out about 3 years ago when Germany liberalised their inofficial policy on homegrown and empowered the Germans to produce their own top quality weed so dope smokers stopped crossing the Border.

P.P.P.S If you wish to know my sources lets just say I know and cant divulge them , quite understandably I think.

Bob your writing is a pleasure to read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Bob the Unlucky Octopus

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Blub2k:
    ....The reason for the huge increase in price from A--->B is huge risk and the need to set up elaborate and expensive schemes to outwit the law. So let the government take control of it and they can still add on quite a substantial sum of money and they will not have the costs and risks associated with smuggling so they can do this easily. If this happenes then Mr. Smuggler is still evading tax and customs by smuggling and with a product as bulky as Hash or even bulkier weed they will no longer take the risk if the profit to be gained is so much lower then presently....

Bob your writing is a pleasure to read.
    </font>

Thanks for the kind words, Blub, they are much appreciated smile.gif

Thank you for that undercutting argument there Blub- you put it in a way far easier to understand than I did biggrin.gif

Basically, most of the sources from police forces in the UK (notably the Police Foundation and the Met) confirm that undercutting by black-market suppliers wouldn't happen to any significant extent. As Blub points out, the operational costs of evading the authorities, plus protection money would increase the cost of production above sustainable levels. The UK Drugs Czar himself agrees in principle that enforcement of the cannabis trade should be down-graded, with a view to long-term legalization. If such an opinion is to be stated in public by a government official who is very much in the public eye, surely there must be some truth in it. Expert opinions would be consulted, facts compiled, and successful models checked for comparison, before such a sweeping statement was made.

A couple of asides here:

1) I know I've promised more information on the medical properties of cannabis, history, web links etc...I'll do it within the next day or two- time is a most precious commodity atm...the same goes for answering excel's intriguing question- whether lines of hard drug enforcement are threatened by soft-drug legalization...

2) Excelsior: We're all eagerly waiting for what you have to say- especially me smile.gif

3) Blub is right about one thing in particular- verify the quality and legitimacy of your sources before posting them- I certainly try to- unless your post is an isolated opinion, and in fairness, the majority of people who have stated these, have qualified them as such.

This has been a most interesting debate so far, long may it continue smile.gif

Thank you all for your time and patience

Bob the Unlucky Octopus
    =Vade Retro Centurion!=

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

And lo', Garda Commissioner Pat Byrne has said that it should be legalised for medicinal purposes.

The time they are a changin'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Excelsior

Hey Bob and all. I was planning to write a response this weekend but the time got away from me. As a result I have 3 paragraphs and not much else.
    I have a massively busy week at college and I think that it'll be next Sunday before I get any more time. So by then this whole argument will have petered out.

Bob if you want to continue tangental discussions about other issues that are raised then I would love to take part.
    And if this thread is still active at the weekend I will respond then. My opinions are kind of focusing.
    Sorry for the interruption.
    Now get back to the good stuff. smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Coyote

Ban chocolate, no just joking.
    But my point was that ever thing you eat is a chemical and it has chemical reactions
    in your body, it’s a sliding ruler that goes from a very small reaction (like chocolate)
    to things with medium reactions (like Tobacco, Alcohol, Cannabis) to stuff that is
    on the high range (like acid, Cocaine).

It’s just where you pick the point on what is too bad to be let be sold.
    I think the main point that is made about Cannabis, is that Cannabis is bad for you yes but it’s not any worst that other drugs like Tobacco or Alcohol, and that it’s a waste of money fighting some thing when we sell drugs just as bad in every shop in Ireland.
    The money made from selling it legally would help pay for the fight of other drugs.

One of the best ways to stop drugs I have heard of was. (It’s been done in a alps)
    Free hard drugs to people who are addicts all ready in clinics, with out trying to reduce the amount given to them, this cuts out the hard drug sellers as all the old clients get it for free now. By doing this it’s harder to get hard drugs on the streets.
    As the dealers do not sell it.
    + the legal selling of soft drugs like Cannabis

Coyote (Chocolate addict)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

yeah but i'll bet it wasn't anything to do with bob dylan...

seriously though, people do go on and on and on about the whole drugs issue, and at the end of the day the two most powerful threads of the debate can be summarised as "just say no" - a perfectly valid and acceptable response, and on the other hand making a decision based on information and experience.
    personally, having lived in holland for seven
    years i find that every time i go back i really really don't want to smoke dope. it's just an awful lot les fun when when you have to go to the shops in order to want to go to the shops smile.gif additionally going to visit my family [committed healthy dope smoking coke snorting farming couple] and seeing my eight year old sister making a mess of the living room, watching bear in the big blue house and
    wanting stuff from the shops made me really want to quit the ganj. it erally does turn you into an eight year old, and there is nothing more boring than a bob dylan lovin' free wheelin' hippie longhair crystal gazer being a fascist about how great and peaceful the world would be if we all like got stoned man.
    it is also very revealing that everyone is going on about dope here, it seems to be seen as the safe middle class labour voting drug that wont cause trouble because well, it's ganja man. i'm still surprised that hippie culture isn't as embarrassed by it's association to stoners as club culture has become of early hardcore ["..you and me together in ecstaseeeeee!"...you know what i mean here don't you?]. i also don't think you can really tar narcotics with the same brush,
    the whole experience is sooo subjective anyway; it's a synthesis between set nd setting; how you feel and your state of mind versus where you're taking a drug. tying someone to a chair and making them watch the omen whilst tripping is perhaps a different kettle of fish to taking the odd yoke down in switch of a friday night [adnan's do you work in that internet cafe in temple bar and were you in my gaff the other night? the night judge dread played and iffy and all them were there?....]. trying to legislate chemistry is tough but legislating experience? tricky.
    the thing is at the end of the day no one forced you to take the yoke, swallow the trip , inhale, open the beercan, whatever. and unless you're lucky, if you do get into trouble with shooting smack and robbing to feed the monkey no one will force you not to.

cyis down in switch. [i'm the bloke with the beard and the hat]

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Ozziej

Pompous ass. You really have to have a very weak unstable mind to get messed up on a smoke of hash. You should keep well away from real drugs. Fact of matter it takes a very strong personality to do hard even soft drugs and still hold down non-using girlfriend, white collar job and keep fit. So if you don't think you can handle it don't try it. The road of life is littered with the casualities.
    As for college, best to keep well away if you want to succeed and leave hard drugs like cha and pills till that window between college and your first child!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Ozziej, I'm not sure even how you found this four year old thread without the search ability but let me tell you some facts:

1. Personal abuse is not allowed on this and most other boards.ie forums, as you're new to boards I'll settle for a warning. Next time I will ban you though.
    2. A lot of the people who posted in this thread do not post regularly anymore.
    3. This thread is locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement