Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best fantasy books

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

I found WoK to be far more addictive than the rest of Sandersons works, but that might just be me. Im upset I got to wait so long until the second book.

Ive reads the Mistborn trilogy and Way of Kings was on another level. Massive step up for me. One of the best Fantasy books of the last decade imo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Yeah it was a step up alright, same with the alloy of law, mistborn was good but alloy of law was better, he hit the way of kings out of the park. He's getting better.

Good interview here. Found it while looking at a rothfuss interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

Liveship Traders by Robin Hobb

Chalion Series by Lois McMaster Bujold

The Warrior King Trilogy by Chris Bunch

• Registered Users Posts: 28,139 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I am just coming to the end of the Tawny Man trilogy by Robin Hobb. I can see how she might not be to everyone's taste, but I think she is an amazing writer, her breadth of imagination is quite extraordinary. If you like loads of action and fighting then you might not like them, but for character development, writing style and imagination she is superb.

Soldiers son is a bit off on its own, I enjoyed it, but it is different from the other series. I would suggest the Farseer trilogy or the Liveship Traders to start, then the Rainwild, then the Tawny Man. Tawny Man follows directly from the Farseers and Rainwild from the Liveship Traders, then the Dragon series, but they all overlap somewhat. any series can be read on its own though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

This is one of my faves. It's an adventure in London but set in abandoned places, sewers, dumps, squats and so on. There's also some nasty creatures who live in Wimbledon Common and they're called "Rumbles" who make ill use of the things that they find...

200px-Borrible-Trilogy-TOR-UK.jpg

Great fun!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 498 ✭✭Splainc

On book 13 of Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series. Lull in the middle of the collection but otherwise incredible books.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

I have read and reread David Gemmell.

Legend is far and away my favourite.

Did you know it was based around him being diagnosed with Cancer and if it was terminal then then Dros Delnoch was due to fall.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭SepTomBer

Legend is one of my favorites too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

I have read and reread David Gemmell.

Although a long time back ,it's one of only four books that I have ever reread. I used to read most of Gemmells books in 2 or 3 days at the time. I also though his Troy trilogy was top notch at the time I read it. His wife stella did a great job of finishing it ,with his notes.
    I often wonder if he was still alive today how the new fantasy writers/ideas would influence his work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Starokan

I loved all the David Gemmell books, the characters just seem to drag you in. Really easy reads too.

Of recent years the books that have captivated me most have been from The Kingkiller Chronicle by Patrick Rothfuss

-The Name of the Wind
    -The Wise Man's Fear

Definitely up there with the very best fantasy books I think, cannot wait for the next in series

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Splainc wrote: »
    On book 13 of Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series. Lull in the middle of the collection but otherwise incredible books.

I don't think these books get the recognition they deserve. Yeah, they drag on a bit but there's few books that leave you feeling as though you've lost something when you finish them. I wonder how how they would be as a TV series...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

sup_dude wrote: »
    I don't think these books get the recognition they deserve. Yeah, they drag on a bit but there's few books that leave you feeling as though you've lost something when you finish them. I wonder how how they would be as a TV series...

Vaunted as one of the all time great fantasy series I think these books get a lot more recognition than they deserve.

Terribly edited, repetitive, with verbal, mental even physical ticks in place of character building *tugs braid*, stomach churning portrayals of women in general and relationships in particular and characters that lose the very basics of rationality whenever the author needs to get them to a place he can't figure out how to write them to cogently, these books are pretty awful.

The high points are undoubtedly the magical conflagrations which Jordan writes superbly. The last section of one of the books in particular has
    an enormous mage battle set across some huge valley or similar which is just fantastic

keane2097 wrote:
    Vaunted as one of the all time great fantasy series I think these books get a lot more recognition than they deserve.

Maybe amongst fantasy fans but not in the wider public. The likes of Tolkien, Martin and Rowling etc are and I think Wheel of Time should be among them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

I think the hardest part of putting WoT on the tv screen would be convincing the public that jordans Myrddraal were not the same as Tolkiens Nasgoul. Its been a while since I read them but the Myrddraal description always brought me an image of the nasgoul. Well.... maybe thats not the hardest part......

sup_dude wrote: »
    Maybe amongst fantasy fans but not in the wider public. The likes of Tolkien, Martin and Rowling etc are...

That should probably tell you something.

fizzypish wrote:
    I think the hardest part of putting WoT on the tv screen would be convincing the public that jordans Myrddraal were not the same as Tolkiens Nasgoul. Its been a while since I read them but the Myrddraal description always brought me an image of the nasgoul. Well.... maybe thats not the hardest part......

Or Trolloc as stupid Ork. I guess they'll just have to reimage them. The Myrddraal are common at least, unlike Nazgul so there's a distinction to work off already.
    keane2097 wrote:
    That should probably tell you something.

Yeah, that it hasn't been made into a film or TV programme which is usually what boosts a books wider popularity.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,168 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

keane2097 wrote: »

Terribly edited, repetitive, with verbal, mental even physical ticks in place of character building *tugs braid*, stomach churning portrayals of women in general and relationships in particular and characters that lose the very basics of rationality whenever the author needs to get them to a place he can't figure out how to write them to cogently, these books are pretty awful.

The high points are undoubtedly the magical conflagrations which Jordan writes superbly. The last section of one of the books in particular has
    an enormous mage battle set across some huge valley or similar which is just fantastic

Hah, not read any WoT but that's similar to something I noticed a lot of in Steven Erikson's writing too. There seemed to be two or three "wry smile" instances a page in Deadhouse Gates!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

keane2097 wrote: »
    I'd agree. Sure I felt a bit of something when I polished off Book 14 but that was a lot to do with the time committed over decades to reading the series and not the quality.
    Terribly edited, repetitive, with verbal, mental even physical ticks in place of character building *tugs braid*, stomach churning portrayals of women in general and relationships in particular and characters
    Blood and ashes! Tough but I agree. Also the "I'll never understand women like XXX" piece gets very very old.
    He does it well but are you referring to the final battle? That was Sanderson who I think has a far superior grasp on using the mechanics of magic.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

ixoy wrote: »
    He does it well but are you referring to the final battle? That was Sanderson who I think has a far superior grasp on using the mechanics of magic.

I much prefer Sanderson's treatment of the series, but the final battle was pretty awful. I think the OP is referring to the fantastic battle at Dumai's Wells.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Fat Christy

The mistborn series by Brandon Saunderson. Epic trilogy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

There's actually a really good write up in The Wertzone about Wheel of Time. Says what I want a lot more effectively than I could.
    In my view despite it's flaws, WoT should be viewed as one of the best. It genuinely attempted to tackle the mismatch of gender in fantasy (mostly failed), the world building is great, and it popularised the move away from trilogies opening up epic fantasy to allow for longer story arcs.
    Would there be a Game of Thrones, Malazan etc if Jordan hadn't of done the heavy lifting.

There's also just some great entertaining parts to WoT. It's unfortunately begins to pale when one starts to read other fantasy that has came out since.

I think the phrase -'you either die a hero or you live long enough to become a villian', applies to WoT.
    And I'm aware that that could be taken in bad taste but I'm not referring to Jirdans death, more so, if he could ha e wrapped it up in under ten books it would have been excellent.

I thi

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Hah, not read any WoT but that's similar to something I noticed a lot of in Steven Erikson's writing too. There seemed to be two or three "wry smile" instances a page in Deadhouse Gates!

If you had read the books you might make a distinction as I do.

A wry smile is a common human expression, if you think about how many times a day you make one yourself you'll probably agree. I remember noticing the words 'wry smile' appearing a lot in Erikson's books, but I couldn't tell you which character it was associated with, probably because as humans they were all smiling wryly quite often.

In WoT, character development is sacrificed at the alter of physical and verbal ticks. Nynaeve is a constantly irrational and angry character whose anger is constantly portrayed by tugging her braid, a habit she never notices and nobody else in the book has (even people from the same village as her).

Siuan Sanche gets the admirable back story that she was born in a fishing village, which is rammed down your throat for 14 books by the fact that every sentence she utters is some tortured fishing analogy.

The Aiel as a group have this honour system they all follow which is irrational to the point of extreme stupidity but it's an easy way to say 'this character is an Aiel, look at him talking about jietoh'.

There are a lot of others, as far as I remember Rand spends most of the books in an internal monologue about his need to be standoffish and emotionless, Mat is an artful dodger, Perrin is big but careful.

All the people in the books have shticks rather than fleshed out characters.

I'm sure anyone who has read the books knew immediately who I meant with *tugs braid* because that's what her character does over and over and over for 14 books, 'wry smile' in the Malazan books could probably be anyone.

There are 'wry smile' issues ad nauseum in WoT as well, the aforementioned 'I wish I was as good with women as Rand/Perrin/Mat' depending on which of them is having the four page monologue on the subject. The incessant smoothing of skirts by everyone, all the time. The how many more detailed descriptions of dresses do I have to sit through (this will appeal to the women readers no doubt :rolleyes:). The 'I have toes' Aiel shtick. Ugh, the whole thing is such a mess.

Last one, I actually forget about this but it just popped into my head and made my involuntarily roll my eyes. There is one character - one of Elayne's brothers - whose 'character' consists of an unwavering commitment to 'do the right thing' no matter what the cost to himself or anyone he cares about which he has always had since he was an infant. FFS - what a cop-out to writing a book about humans!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

ixoy wrote: »

wasn't there a similar sort of thing going on at the end of book 9 when
    they cleansed saidin?

strelok wrote: »
    wasn't there a similar sort of thing going on at the end of book 9 when
    they cleansed saidin?

I think that's the one I was specifically thinking of but there are a few brilliant set pieces along similar lines iirc

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

What's Janny Wurt's stuff like? Recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Heffoman

Trojan wrote: »
    I much prefer Sanderson's treatment of the series, but the final battle was . I think the OP is referring to the fantastic battle at Dumai's Wells.

I dont like Sandersons take on magic at all. He has a compulsion to explain everything to an nth degree.

He also still cant write a good battle scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,162 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I thought his description of some of the battles in The Way of Kings from the perspective of the bridge men were excellent...

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Brasros

Remond E fest, keep going back to these books.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭seagull

Brasros wrote: »
    Remond E fest, keep going back to these books.

The early books are really good. I thought it drops off towards the end of the series.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Plopsu

Over a decade of posts and no mention of Jacqueline Carey's Kushiel books.
    Also (not sure if it qualifies as fantasy but it does have magic) The Enterprise Of Death by Jesse Bullington is one of the most enjoyable books I've ever read.

Advertisement