Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best fantasy books

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Lyanna wrote: »
    Lots of my favourites have already been mentioned but I'll add a vote for Daniel Abraham's "The Long Price Quartet". Good characters, interesting magic system and war by economic boycott. It takes a while to get going but it's a lot of fun.

Yeah they were different, little or no battles, crazy magic system didn't think i'd be into it but i couldn't put the books down. read the 4 in about a week and a half.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 coralkat

Patrick Ness's ask and answer trilogy is brilliant, aimed at teenagers but i found i couldnt put it down, i love when a book drags you in like that! On a tangent though i need a bit of help, i absolutely love, love, LOVE terry practhett. I've being reading them for years but they were all my brothers and he has them all kept hidden away now...very protective of his books, a familt trait i have to say :D but i want to collect them now for myself, instead of buying them one by one and taking forever does anyone know a good reputable book website that will deliver to Ireland? Most require damn postcodes grrr!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

coralkat wrote: »
    does anyone know a good reputable book website that will deliver to Ireland? Most require damn postcodes grrr!!
    Check out the Book Depository...

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/search/advanced?searchAuthor=Terry+Pratchett

Free shipping to Ireland - have used them a bunch of times. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Yeah they were different, little or no battles, crazy magic system didn't think i'd be into it but i couldn't put the books down. read the 4 in about a week and a half.

I'm glad to hear they're good, I just bought the first one second hand on amazon, I wanted to get ones with the Stephen martiniere covers.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Mexihalo

can't believe nobody has mentioned Julian May, check out Saga of the Exiles and The Galactic Milieu Series...stunning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Hobite

I really liked Roger Zelazny "Avolon" series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 thejair

Trojan wrote: »
    I certainly enjoyed it, nice spin on the usual magic vs assassin business.

Can anyone recommend any other "assassin" type books apart from Weeks and Hobbs?

Steven Brust - Jhereg is the first book of the Vlad Taltos Assassin series. Great stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

i really enjoyed the black magician trilogy by trudi canavan

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Ordin73

I quite liked Prince of Thorns the debut novel of Mark Lawrence..
    The story is told from the prespective of the young prince who is genuinely disturbed in the mind and is clearly aware of it, as he smashs his way through the country in a quest for lethal retribution. The magic system is unusual too..The action is fast and constant and then its revealed that this world is a post post-apocalyptic version of our world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Tym

@Ordin73:
    WOAH! Bit of a spoiler.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

New poster here, so hi to all!

Been reading fantasy since I was about 7 years old (The Hobbit got me hooked) and I can say, without a shadow of a doubt that Stephen Ericksons Malazan Book of the Fallen series is the finest fantasy series and also contains some of the finest individual novels I have ever had the please to read. His friend and co inventor of this fascinating world, Ian Claire Esslemont has also triumphed with his two side Novels, I have read plenty of very good posts dealing with this series of books and I cannot stress enough how amazing they are - if you are suffering from Robert Jordon stress or are just sick of where Terry Goodkind is going, then jump on, I can safely say there isnt one page of 'filler' in the entire series, every page is a classic, every character believable.

For a darker, more horrific look at fantasy, the Prince of Nothing series, by R Scott Bakker, is on a par with Erickson in terms of its sheer readability and in many ways they both ask some pretty deep (for a fantasy series of books at any rate) philosophical questions and even go so far as to pose some ideas as to the answers and for those who have yet to read either, dont worry if philosophy isnt your thing, in the Malazans Books a 10ft Humanoid known as a Tarthenol Posing these philosphical questions to a witch he is trying to bed just after hacking apart 30 'grey elves' with a massive flint sword might put it in the context its in!

The Characters in both series are fascination and there are two of note, one being the huge Anomander Rake, who might be described as a 'dark elf' in other series of books although beyond the eyes, features and ears, there isnt anything vaguely 'elven' about him, he's a massively complex character, too complex too discuss in my first post!

The main character in the Prince of Nothing series, Anasurimbor Kelhus, is more written about as he is somewhat of a mysterious figure - all I can say is think Derren Browne in a fantasy setting and what he could achieve and you are halfway there.

By other favourite authors include:

Alastair Reynolds

China Mieville

David Gemmel: RIP

Brian Keane (technically horror, but some of his books are as much fantasy as horror)

Iain M Banks

Will update when I can post again - thanks for having me!

:pac:

As a Erikson fan I tried the Bakker recommendation, I gave up after 200 pages which I rarely do. It seemed like a poor rip off of Byzantium History and the Crusades. Maybe I will go back someday to give him another chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Ordin73 wrote: »
    The story is told from the prespective of the young prince who is genuinely disturbed in the mind and is clearly aware of it, as he smashs his way through the country in a quest for lethal retribution. The magic system is unusual too..The action is fast and constant and then
    its revealed that this world is a post post-apocalyptic version of our world.

Great debut. One of my favourite reads last year.Lots of LOL moments for me.Part two out this year.I will be following Lawerence with interest ,from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

I recently read "The Painted Man" and "The Desert Spear" by Peter V. Brett, the third part of the trilogy will be out this year.

I highly recomend them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

oeb wrote: »
    I recently read "The Painted Man" and "The Desert Spear" by Peter V. Brett, the third part of the trilogy will be out this year.

I highly recomend them.

Yeah both are well worth reading.Brett has created a unique world.He has also written two novellas .I have read Brayan's Gold which is pretty good,read it in a night.The Great Bazaar and Other Stories I would love to read,but because it is a limited edition it is going for mad money.Seen a second hand copy for sale @ €2000 at one stage.:eek:
    Some copies are now available @ $300.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

The Great Bazaar and Other Stories I would love to read,but because it is a limited edition it is going for mad money.Seen a second hand copy for sale @ €2000 at one stage.:eek:
    Some copies are now available @ $300.
    Get the Kindle edition. It's $3.87. Even if you don't have a Kindle itself, you can still read it on a smart phone or your PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I've only read the first. Interesting idea but I thought the world was lightly sketched and at times the book just felt shallow.
    Still a really good book. Have the second one and one of the novellas, I'll let ye guess which one, but just haven't got around to them.
    So many books and life keeps getting in the way.

I've only read the first. Interesting idea but I thought the world was lightly sketched and at times the book just felt shallow.
    Still a really good book. Have the second one and one of the novellas, I'll let ye guess which one, but just haven't got around to them.
    So many books and life keeps getting in the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭lestat21

Ordin73 wrote: »
    The story is told from the prespective of the young prince who is genuinely disturbed in the mind and is clearly aware of it, as he smashs his way through the country in a quest for lethal retribution. The magic system is unusual too..The action is fast and constant and then
    its revealed that this world is a post post-apocalyptic version of our world.

I read a review for this book and decided to buy it on amazon last nite, Thanks for been an ignorant and inconsiderate jerk for revealing the twist at the end :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

lestat21 wrote: »
    I read a review for this book and decided to buy it on amazon last nite, Thanks for been an ignorant and inconsiderate jerk for revealing the twist at the end :mad:

And when replying to him why didn't you spoiler space the spoiler, because now you ruined it for me too by replying.

I probably wasn't going to buy it anyway but still the principle stands :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭lestat21

And when replying to him why didn't you spoiler space the spoiler, because now you ruined it for me too by replying.

I probably wasn't going to buy it anyway but still the principle stands :p

I didnt know I could spoiler someone elses comments when reposting... neat trick... :) prince of thorns should be arriving dis week and im still looking forward to reading it !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Listening to feists stuff on audio format at the moment and must say i enjoy them. The plots are pretty tame after finishing up erikssons stuff but highly enjoyable none the less.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I just read the stormlight archive by sanderson, that shít blew me away. Great characters and an amazing world I would highly recommend it.

Started mistborn today and what little ive read already has me hooked.

I just read the stormlight archive by sanderson, that shít blew me away. Great characters and an amazing world I would highly recommend it.

Started mistborn today and what little ive read already has me hooked.

Way of Kings is really good. One word cosmere.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Xevkin

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Way of Kings is really good. One word cosmere.

Having read the rest of Brandon's novels, I've left WoK for a rainy day. Don't want to get be left pining for the next book when it's the only one of 10 or so series. With Mistborn is was perfect - finish one, and motor into the next.

Saying that, I have my apprehensions about WoK. How it does it compare to the rest of his works?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

Xevkin wrote: »
    Saying that, I have my apprehensions about WoK. How it does it compare to the rest of his works?

It's fantastic, easily on par with the rest of his stuff. Sucks having to wait for the rest of it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 petery

Marion Zimmer Bradley's Avalon Series

Robert Jordan's Wheel Of Time series

David Edding's The Belgariad series

George R.R. Martin's A song of Fire and Ice

Steven Erikson's The Malazan book of the Fallen Series

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Xevkin wrote: »
    Having read the rest of Brandon's novels, I've left WoK for a rainy day. Don't want to get be left pining for the next book when it's the only one of 10 or so series. With Mistborn is was perfect - finish one, and motor into the next.

I found WoK to be far more addictive than the rest of Sandersons works, but that might just be me. Im upset I got to wait so long until the second book.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 808SOS

If you are setting out reading any robin hobb books,

you have to start with the farseer trilogy because the following trilogies are related but stand alone books also [if that makes sense]

hobb is a serious writer and the style of writing is hard to read at first.
    she writes in the first person and puts so much detail into the tales.

failing that you could start the soldiers son trilogy, its not linked to any of her current series.

another couple of books to read are:

the reindeer people and wolf's brother by megan lindholm [robin hobb]

I have read Corsair by tim severn which was not too bad!

night of knives by ian c esslemont was very hard to read imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Dr. Fell

Pulmann's
    Northern Lights
    The Subtle Knife
    The Amber Spyglass

Pratchet's
    Small Gods
    Men at Arms
    Soul Music

Goodkind's
    Wizards First Rule

Heinlen's
    Glory Road

Barkers
    Weaveworld
    Imajica
    The Great and Secret Show
    Everville

Feist's
    Well, everything really.

United States Senate Commission
    Warren Commission Report
    911 Commission Report

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Dr. Fell wrote: »

Goodkind's
    Wizards First Rule

no

Advertisement