Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL Broadband sooooooooooon

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I'm in hillview but with the speed increased and smart coming soon, there is no incentive anymore to switch to NTL.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Well Cable BB will be the safer bet for the future as it runs off fibre optic and can reach speeds well in excess of the 4mbit which is the maximum rated for ADSL in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭Vadrefjorde

Well after endless "another two weeks" phone calls from Irishbroadband they've finaly gone live in Waterford. Now i've got to wait another "two weeks" for an engineer to install it for me. Now all i have to do is chop a tree down in the Ursuline school that's in my way :p
    At least I can finally give IOL the boot with their sucky 128k upload crap...

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Where are their masts situated. There was talk of Ard-ri hotel. Did that ever happen. Incidentally, I say a crane up there for a couple of days last week and it looks like there was some sort of transmitters put up there,

Yep they are on top of the ARd-Ri. They only appeared last week. I phoned them and asked if i failed the signal test what would happen. They said a second site is going up in Kilbarry, don't know exactly where.

• Advertisement

Good news for irish broadband users.. They are upgrading their 1mbps service to 2mbps :)

Wooohoooooo. I've already offered to be a "tester". 2MB Synchronous connection with low pings and no cap for €40 a month. You'd have to be mental to sign up for anything else in Waterford!! :D:D:D:D

indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Boomer23

hey murderer

the highest theoretical on fibre optic is 32mg, where you goin with 4??? Sure they already have 9Meg in Dungarvan!!!!

If you read my post properly, I was referring to the maximum rated speed of the (then) current DSL technology.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,355 ✭✭✭jmcc

There is supposed to be an announcement about NTL broadband in Waterford today, according to another thread. Anyone know if it just the usual branded Eircom product or it really is cable broadband? If it is cable broadband then a lot of people in the Viewmount, Powerscourt, Earlscourt area may have some hope of getting broadband.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭spartacus93

jmcc wrote:
    Anyone know if it just the usual branded Eircom product or it really is cable broadband?

It's NTLs own cable service. No Eircom needed! Also they are after increasing their speeds to make themselves very competitive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

From a post earlier today on the Broadband forum:
    Just got off the phone from NTL. Waterford has really only gone online (ntl wise) in the last few days or so. They are moving towards a blanket coverage of the area. Areas near the NTL operation are the first up apparently. Mailshots will announce availability of access in various areas. Eircom is now officially screwed if they don't get their act together in the Dunmore Road area (and of course this depends on NTL getting operation here).

The areas near NTL, Cleaboy etc seem to be getting connected first. Maybe now some of the people in Powerscourt/Earlscourt/Collins Ave will have a chance.

Regards...jmcc

Bout time they launched... pity its AFTER I've got my DSL installed :/ .

3 meg for 45 a month, 40 gig cap, cant beat it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I got a phone call from NTL this afternooon (was'nt in, said they'd phone back) I can only think they're gonna try and sell me BB!

Mike.

go for the 3 meg, free for first 3 months then you can downgrade

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

jmcc wrote:
    From a post earlier today on the Broadband forum:
    Just got off the phone from NTL. Waterford has really only gone online (ntl wise) in the last few days or so. They are moving towards a blanket coverage of the area. Areas near the NTL operation are the first up apparently. Mailshots will announce availability of access in various areas. Eircom is now officially screwed if they don't get their act together in the Dunmore Road area (and of course this depends on NTL getting operation here).

The areas near NTL, Cleaboy etc seem to be getting connected first. Maybe now some of the people in Powerscourt/Earlscourt/Collins Ave will have a chance.

Regards...jmcc

Upper Yellow Road ... connected
    Lower Yellow Road... not connected

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Must give them a ring just to see if I can get it...
    properly won't order it but it would be nice to always have the option

:D

• Advertisement

where you live cabaal???

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Boomer23 wrote:
    where you live cabaal???

Up around Barrack Street/Newgate Street area

Might not be available now but would be nice to get a "available" date

barrack street is August 1st.sssssssshhhhhhhh

Will Viewmount,Earlscourt,Powercourt etc get cable broadband before Eircom magically find that all the lines around here pass for DSL?

Regards...jmcc

It's up.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Spoke to a guy in ntl this morning and was given the rundown of things as regards the roll out of BB in waterford city. As was stated earlier in the thread, the top of the town up around tycor, hillview, Ashley Court, Lismore pk/lawn will commence in the next week if not already live. Cannon St, Slievekeale, Morrisons rd/ave will follow the next week,followed then by paddys browns rd/lisduggan/larchville/sunrise cresent/cork rd mid may. The folly, John's Pk then. Ferrybank and the Dunmore Rd are said to be late may/early June.

I will believe all this when I actually see it up and running.

That seems to be a very erratic rollout. They seem to be jumping all around the city and cherry-picking which areas should be upgraded. When the guy said the folly did he mean just that small stretch of road of about 200m's or did he mean the eintire Folly area?

I'll send them an email about it to try and get more info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Marcopolo85

Leonard wrote:
    Spoke to a guy in ntl this morning and was given the rundown of things as regards the roll out of BB in waterford city. As was stated earlier in the thread, the top of the town up around tycor, hillview, Ashley Court, Lismore pk/lawn will commence in the next week if not already live. Cannon St, Slievekeale, Morrisons rd/ave will follow the next week,followed then by paddys browns rd/lisduggan/larchville/sunrise cresent/cork rd mid may. The folly, John's Pk then. Ferrybank and the Dunmore Rd are said to be late may/early June.

I will believe all this when I actually see it up and running.

Well, seeing is believing. NTL Galway officially launched their broadband service in the Clybawn Hotel on Thursday (April 28th) and it's also live in Waterford City, with some residents already connected.

This is what I just received in an email from NTL Support:
    The Broadband Service is been rolled out on a phase by phase basis but I can advise that the service will be available to all Waterford Customers by the Summer. All customers will be notified once there area becomes available within the coming months.

I thought I'd emphasise the important part :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Marcopolo85

This is what I just received in an email from NTL Support:

I thought I'd emphasise the important part :)

Confirmed by marketing drop in post from NTL today. Case closed.

Advertisement