Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL Broadband sooooooooooon

Options
  • 05-12-2004 12:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭

Phoned NTL yet again last week and was told the ESB were outside hooking it up to their building. Their story is that it will be switched on in a small part of the city on a test basis in the next 2 weeks. It will be Paddy Brownes road / Lisduggan area etc.. that is being switched on.
    Anyone else phone them and get this story ?????
    :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I have a friend that works in the Sales department and they were handed around a memo last week saying that they have signed a deal with EIRCOM to provide broadband to Waterford and Galway which leads me to believe that it will be a DSL product that they will be supplying as well as the Cable service which will be rolled out at a later date!

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

http://www.enn.ie/news.html?code=9567005

not many other sites had this story

surprisingly eircon did not carry it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

It was reported in the Irish Times on friday or saturday. Didn't see any mention of Eircom; I think it's in conjunction with the ESB. The ESB have been laying fibre wherever they put put wires for the last while I think, so they already have the backbone of a network that could compete with Eircom. I

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭Vadrefjorde

I'm definite the sales person was talking about cable broadband and not DSL as she told me that . She said she was on DSL and was living in Lisduggan and was going to change as soon as it was on. It was Fibre they were running down from the pylon into the building so fingers crossed, it might actually happen....
    How well it will actually work given their track record for their T.V is another thing....

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

How well it will actually work given their track record for their T.V is another thing....

looking at other posts in http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=259 and considering that the cable network in Waterford is *apparently* better than the one in Dublin I'd say there won't be many problems.....

.... other than I can't get it still :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

looking at other posts in http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=259 and considering that the cable network in Waterford is *apparently* better than the one in Dublin I'd say there won't be many problems.....

.... other than I can't get it still :(

don't know about in ireland , but they provide a very good service in the uk....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Musicman2004

Broadband from Ntl wont be in Waterford city for another year, And the Fiber optic cable running from the Esb in the call center in Waterford has nothing to do with Broadband for Waterford. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Dear John,

Thank you for your recent enquiry regarding ntl's Broadband Internet Service. We are planning to release Broadband throughout Galway and Waterford in 2005. ntl will release planned dates shortly.

If you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us on 1800 321 321 or once again e-mail us on customer.support@ntl.ie

Kind regards

NTL begs to differ.

I should know, Work for em :)

I should know, Work for em :)

You win.

• Advertisement

Well Musicman that makes me wonder what you actually do out there as i've since checked it with another person who"works for 'em" and they told me the same story as the first person. The work the ESB were carrying out a few weeks ago at the pylon WAS NTL connecting to the backbone and NTL are planning to start test areas in January.

Fair enuff if thats what u where told, But that connection is for the call center only for trhe networks connection between Dub and Waterford, and Trust me when Ntl promises something add another few months on to that :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Boomer23

i work there as well musicman, its all set and ready to go, matter of weeks

Boomer23 wrote:
    i work there as well musicman, its all set and ready to go, matter of weeks

Great Boomer!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 coffeecup

Yup. I'm in the biz with ntl too and it's happening fairly soon alright :D

Will we avail of the same services, speeds, price and what not as dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 George_h

Now we know where the tolls money is going.......
    but as far as i know they should be going live this year...........
    Can always inquire at www.irishbroadband.ie

http://www.electricnews.net/frontpage/news-9573576.html
    see this article for details

Got a phone call from Irishbroadband this morning!! Their base station on top of Jurys will be switched on on 16th of next month. I had pre-ordered from them before christmas but hoped NTL would be live before they were as 1.5MB for €50 is unbeatable but it looks like i'll be going for IBB now as NTL still haven't bothered to flick the "ON" switch :mad:

Got a phone call from Irishbroadband this morning!! Their base station on top of Jurys will be switched on on 16th of next month. I had pre-ordered from them before christmas but hoped NTL would be live before they were as 1.5MB for €50 is unbeatable but it looks like i'll be going for IBB now as NTL still haven't bothered to flick the "ON" switch :mad:

How does that work out? I e-mailed irish broadband a few weeks ago and they said that it isn't here yet but would be soon? Hrm..

I faxed my order to them last November Dlofnep an even then the guy told me they had received 7 other orders from Waterford that week so they've been taking pre-orders for ages. The guy told me last week that they are already working on the Jurys node and once that is up and running they will be putting a second one in Kilbarry so it sounds like it will be good coverage. At least they are making an effort to switch on their service which is more than NTL are doing.

• Advertisement

I faxed my order to them last November Dlofnep an even then the guy told me they had received 7 other orders from Waterford that week so they've been taking pre-orders for ages. The guy told me last week that they are already working on the Jurys node and once that is up and running they will be putting a second one in Kilbarry so it sounds like it will be good coverage. At least they are making an effort to switch on their service which is more than NTL are doing.

Sound man. Let me know if all goes well. I'lll get onto them now.

I e-mailed them again and they said it's still not up and running but they would let me know when it is. I dunno what's going on.. I'm not too worried as I'm not ordering from them now. I'm going with smart telecom broadband which is 2meg for 35 euro a month.

For reference:
    Dear John
    Thank you for your interest in internet connections from Irish Broadband. Please see the attached files for details of our products & services.

While we aren't currently live in Waterford, Irish Broadband are delighted to have been awarded seven prime broadband licences which will make Broadband access possible in your area - this will be from the end February. We are currently commissioning a highsite in your area. You would need to be 5-6kms from our transmitter in Waterford City.

If you would like us to keep your details on file so that we can let you know when we go live, just let us know.

Thank you for your interest in Irish Broadband, we look forward to providing you with our service!

Guys as I said in my prev post dont hold ur breath with Ntl. It ould be closed to May by the time its up an running

I have been speaking to many people inside NTL and can confirm that they are BEGINNING to roll it out around Waterford sometime this month, initially they will be upgrading the top of the town which I always took to be the Gracedieu area(?) and will continue to upgrade the rest of the city over the coming months!

I got this info from sales reps and the technicians involved in rolling it out!

I have been speaking to many people inside NTL and can confirm that they are BEGINNING to roll it out around Waterford sometime this month, initially they will be upgrading the top of the town which I always took to be the Gracedieu area(?) and will continue to upgrade the rest of the city over the coming months!

I got this info from sales reps and the technicians involved in rolling it out!

I'm up in Hillview.. I'd assume that I would get it. Smart broadband will be here in May/June. It's 2meg (for 35 euros) opposed to NTL's 1.5meg for around 50 euro or whatever.. Although the UK's NTL is being upgraded t o3meg so maybe?

Hrm, this is what they said to me.
    Dear John,

Thank you for your email. At the moment Ntl is working on our network to have the network capable of receiving the Broadband Service. Ntl hope to have this service available to customers within the next few months at the latest

Once it is available to areas within Waterford we will notify customers and advise them of this immediately.

If you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us on 1800 321 321 or once again e-mail us on customer.support@ntl.ie

Kind regards

No mention of the network being upgraded this month? I think I'll be safe with smart.

Okay, theres been a delay (surprised?), April is now the set month for when their service will begin to be available. As of yet specific areas of the city are unknown, however it is the top of the town they are starting with! I'll definetly go for this when it comes out in my area to add to my free eircom dsl account :D

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Gracedieu, Hillview, Norwood, Ashley Court, Hazelbourne, and Comeragh Green, are believed to be the areas which will be live first. My mate is employed by a company who are replacing all the cables and the amplifiers to get ready for the big roll out. He has also informed me that all the equipment(routhers and modems) is out in the warehouse since early Feb. There will be special offers rolled out in the coming weeks to encourage customers to sign up.

On a slightly different topic. Ntl have almost finished converting Templars Hall from MMDS to cable. All existing MMDS customers will be switched over to cable ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Hoochiemama

lads, i used to work for NTL. i had to leave cos its the most dire run company!! so dont hold ur breath

• Advertisement

True, but when you have reputable contacts inside the company then sometimes their information is bound to be right!

Advertisement