Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fury Vs Usyk

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Wonder were Furys comments on war and saying happy new year down to concussion, or just his general madcap brain?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭geotrig

For me Rd 1,2 usyk maybe rd2 fury or even, 3 4 fury came into the fight but felt they shared evenor usyk stillshaded them , Rd 5,6 was fury and while I don't agree that usyk looked f*cked he did look tired and uncomfortable fromshots fury was landing it seemed like fury was going to push on there,but we have seen this from usyk loads where he looks tired mid match and takes a back seat as such for a round or 2.

Things I noticed was ,it took fury 3-4 rounds to start looking comfortable, he couldn't really roll the heavier shots from usyk like he normally does due to volume and accuracy of usyks shots,

He kept getting caught in corner of ring early and used a bit of showboating to get out of it, reminded me why he can be unlikeable he wasn't able to use his size to tie up and lean on usyk. Very lucky it wasn't stopped but ref got it spot on . You gotto admire how fury can ride the ropes ring the way he did,also Fury doesn't have a belly button 😂

While usyk is deemed not to have the "power", his shots must hurt some bit if everyone so far won't and doesn't push on against him when an opportunity arises

Post edited by geotrig on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭hawaii501

Thought usyk won rds 1-3 fury 4-7 and usyk winningmost of the later rds(can see why fury got a couple)

Didnt think it was a split decision though.

One question is how come fury shirts are always so high up, they were nearly up at his chest! Obviously no rules on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭geotrig

To be fair he has always worn them that high

Interesting stats fury threw more punches?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,082 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I absolutely got the Cordina result wrong. He was bashed. Cordina 7-1 on to win. Didn’t watch it really. Was he weak? Rumors struggling to make 130 lbs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,196 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

It was a close enough fight. Apart from that final 90secs rd 9 Fury was never in serious trouble either, and he was well on top in rd 3, 4, 5, 6 and looked like he would win it. I think a rematch is the right option, give Fury the chance to correct his mistakes or Usyk the chance to prove without doubt he is better.

Yes. As I said, only man in proper trouble was Fury last 30 seconds rd 9..

Big + for Usyk was winning championship rds. That’s where true greats show their class. He went and closed the show.

One judge had Fury winning 2 of the last 3 rds. Two judges had Usyk winning 2 of last 3 rds. I thought Usyk deserved 10, 11 and 12

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Henno30

Wonder if there's any hope of Fury kicking the auld fella out of his corner? Constantly talking over Sugar Hill last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭blade1

The ref at the start of fights tells the fighters where on each of them he deems a low blow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

I mean I get it its his father, but surely Fury would know that John knows nothing, all John is doing is riding on the wave of his sons success, it gives him a platform to be mouthy but he knows nothing, has achieved nothing in boxing, isn't a coach and Tyson having him there drowning out the people who actually know something is ridiculous, Fury has good people around him.

Maybe he doesn't want to upset him, because lets be honest John Fury is never going to be capable of sitting in the background just helping out, he has to be center of attention with Tyson, anything less and he'd throw a fit and have a fallout so maybe he's just placating him, but he's doing Tyson no favors, I mean jesus Christ he was telling him he had it won last night and not to go for it when that was exactly what Fury needed to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,107 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Muslim New Year in a few weeks not sure if it's June or July this year Fury obviously getting his well wishes in early.

Poor Fury. If only his corner had told him he was “down” going into the last round, he would have went out and finished Usyk.

Deluded whinger. Between the above and Usyk winning because of the war..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭bilbot79

He's going for the Obelix look

• Registered Users Posts: 22,261 ✭✭✭✭endacl

• Registered Users Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭jj880

Agreed. Fury is an embarrassment.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,851 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I see people suggesting Fury come in heavier next time and rough-house Usyk like he did Wilder in their 2nd fight - is that likely to work against a fighter as nimble as Usyk though? Presumably they looked at Usyk and decided lighter was better, Fury's not used to facing really skilled boxers (not recently anyway). A heavier Fury runs the risk of getting exhausted if he can't finish the fight early.

Question on scoring - I thought Usyk clearly won that fight, but only the 115-112 judge reflected that. Are they not allowed to score a round as a draw? The guy who gave the fight to Fury had him winning pretty much every close round. On a round by round basis you could say "maybe" but when you look at the fight as a whole it gives distorted view of the story of the fight, like Fury dominated but got caught by a lucky shot in the 9th.

You can score rds 10-10.
    8-4 for me

I had it 117-110 first and now 116-111. I found it very difficult to score the very close rds to Fury, the man moving backwards and being pushed back by the man controlling the pressure and tempo.. cannot give them to Fury. Had it been Fury pressing, pushing Usyk back in the close rds, I score them Fury

When Fury sits back and objectively views the fight he can only blame himself for losing, because he was not able to stop (or decided to allow) Usyk dictate the fight

I watched with a mate. After 20 seconds I said Usyk will win. His whole demeanour, attitude and focus while straight away pushing the big man back told me he wins. Of course, I couldn’t know for certain. But I was right in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,908 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

people view it differently i suppose, i saw eddie hearn score it a draw, he had fury well up through the first 6 whereas others are giving usyk the first 3.

yeah, I just looked it up and they can score 10-10 but it's apparently discouraged. None of the judges scored any rounds a draw on Saturday. Round-by-round scoring doesn't really tell the story of a fight, you're giving equal weight to rounds in which not much happens as one in which a fighter dominates.

thats how boxing has been scored for a long time.

• Advertisement

Yes, very good to see all three judges scored rds to a winner, and no drawn rds.

Just as well: compubox had Usyk fairly clear a winner, albeit compubox is just a guide. It is not a guarantee to decide who wins a fight.

Yes…and it's why I mention looking at the whole 36 mins, just for demonstration….tells a better story, albeit the fights are not judged this way.

I know, and with the plethora of organisations it's unlikely to change, but it has it's drawbacks.

on balance for me it works, other wise recency bias (i.e. the last 3 rounds) will decide a lot of fights,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

My scorecard below. I had a few drinks on Saturday too so perhaps I'd need to rematch the fight again:

Usky vs Fury

1. 10-10

2. 10 - 9

3. 10-9

4.9 - 10

5. 9- 10

6. 9 - 10

7. 10 -9

8. 10 - 9

9. 10 - 8

10. 10- 9

11. 10 - 9

12 9 - 10

Total

116 - 112

112 should be 111???

Edit…no, you had round 1 a draw!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,214 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

It was definitely bad form whinging. But it wouldn't be unheard of to think you did better than you actually did. You don't have the advantage of the outside perspective when you are in there (which is why it's important not to make an eejit of yourself immediately whinging)

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭drury..

Was he not allowed sing American pie cos he was in Saudi or was it because he lost ?

I doubt he was in the singing/celebration type mood

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭drury..

Whatever about the celebrating its good business the singing

Advertisement