Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

E-Scooter Legislation From Monday 19-May-2024

Options
  • 15-05-2024 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭

https://www.rte.ie/news/2024/0515/1449245-escooter-regulations/

Well, this has been a long, long time coming.

Nobody under 16 to use scooter in public place.

I think that's a good idea, especially for powerful e-scooters, but good luck enforcing it.

Limited to 20kg.

Stupid idea. This means tiny battery packs and scooters of this capacity just won't last the test of time.

Limited to 20km/h.

Again, stupid. Even the old, basic ones do 25km/h. The options will be almost Nil and so nearly everyone on an e-scooter will be breaking the law.

I used to use an e-scooter for the last mile of my journey in DCC, or to pop around to the shops. This was 5 or 6 years ago when they started to become popular. It was a Xiaomi 365 which would get to an indicated top speed of 22km/h with my 100kg on it. It would only reach 25km/h with a much lighter person on it.

So, has Eamon messed up again?

What do you think of the new legislation and e-scooters in general?

Stay Free

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,073 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Honestly I think the kids are fine, it's the adults who seem to cause more accidents on scooters

I agree with limiting power and speed, but we should have just stuck to the 25km/h and 250W limit for light vehicles

Overall I think it's a pointless exercise since teenagers will just move to more powerful e-bikes instead

Something similar happened in Paris when they banned E-scooter rentals, everyone just moved to E-bikes within a month

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 15,764 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I do not see anything stupid with any of that at all. The weight limit is actually very clever. It means if it's over the weight it can be taken and impounded by Garda although how they will know I do not know.

Any more powerful than 250kw or faster than 25kph and you have to have insurance, tax and a driving license. So not going to happen here.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭d15ude

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Time will tell. It won't go down too well at a time if great focus on road safety, serious incidents if there is new legislation aimed at improving it for vulnerable uses that AGS then don't enforce. This should be a dead easy enforcement, if the will is there.

There is only so long Harris can continue to play let's pretend roads policing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,541 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Don't know how you can think there will be enforcement TBH. Practically every single powered scooter you've seen up to now has been illegal. Gardaí could pick up basically any scooter and confiscate it - except there was absolutely zero enforcement. From Monday, that's not going to be the case. A significant proportion of scooters will be legalised, meaning identifying illegal use becomes much, much harder.

So the Gardaí were doing no enforcement when it was simple, and we're supposed to believe that now it's more difficult, enforcement levels are going to go up? Has there been any investment that would suggest that? Is there a new scooter unit? Have the RPU received new staff or funding?

This isn't a criticism of the Gardaí BTW. Road policing throughout the country is a joke, and it's very clearly been made that way by multiple governments over the decades. Real enforcement would require massive investment in the Gardaí, combined with clear leadership and policy directive from the government. Instead we get new laws that won't be enforced piled up on top of old laws that aren't enforced.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement

I am not saying there will be enforcement...I said let's hope ...

I agree major investment needed in AGS. For a so called rich country, rolling in budget surpluses, we have the police force of a poor country.

Yeah my point was that since everywhere else seems to limit E-scooters to 250W and 25km/h then we should just do the same

Now with the limit being set to 20km/h, there would need to be a separate SKU for Ireland. Given we aren't even a rounding error in terms of the global market, a lot of brands wouldn't even bother

So it'll be up to Irish sellers to modify the scooters before selling them. Presumably they can just reprogram the controller, but it'll still be added labour and cost for the end user

I'm guessing the weight limit was chosen since it's easy to measure and it's a rough abstract for power. A lower powered scooter is probably not going to want to carry a whole load of extra bloat around, and the guards can just use a basic scales to check it rather than any special equipment

I know the Dutch police have started using a mini dynamometer to perform power checks. It's about the size of a treadmill, however they'd likely be rare enough that you couldn't have one at every checkpoint

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

It is stupid, because it limits the battery capacity and therefore the range, making them unusable for anything other than short commutes. Adding a weight limit of 20kg is totally unnecessary and pointless. Limiting the motor output, or speed is where the focus should be, but at 20kph, they've scored an own goal there. This will result in less e-scooter users obeying the law, because the choice is extremely limited within the confines of the law. Ireland being such a small market, manufacturers won't bother producing anything to fit into our market.

I'll go back to the Xiaomi M365. It comes in under the weight limit, but the result is a piddly real world range due to the small battery. The range reduces significantly after a few months of use and in cold weather. It's also illegal, as it reaches speeds of up to 25km/h.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 15,764 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Ireland being such a small market, manufacturers won't bother producing anything to fit into our market.

Someone said that Germany also limit scooters to 20kph in this thread or the other thread on E-Scooters. So I guess it will just mean Ireland gets the same scooters that Germany gets from Monday on.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,946 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Why would the Gardaí bothering enforcing the law when judges just throw out the case?

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/judge-dismisses-no-insurance-case-against-e-scooter-owner/a392870282.html

Enforcement should be easier now as they can easily see if the escooter can exceed 20km/h and weight it to see if it's over weight, not that they even need to do that as it's up to the user to prove it's legal not the Gardaí to prove it's illegal, or a person is using an emoped. All we need is the judges to back them up if they start enforcing the law.

This will result in less e-scooter users obeying the law, because the choice is extremely limited within the confines of the law.

You can't get worse than 100% non compliance. 100% of current escooter users are not obeying the law, this new law will mean that some people will actually be legal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭csirl

Is there any e-bike legislation coming into force? Some of the e-bikes today are heavier and faster than an oldstyle Honda 50. I was driving just under the limit in a 60kph zone recently and was easily overtaken by one!

Wrong. German legislation allows e-scooters to be up to 55kg. So while the speed restriction is 20kph, the range and therefore usefulness is far superior to what would be available here. I don't know of any e-scooters that meet the criteria being set out here…certainly none that will be of any use in the real world.

Stay Free

Ryan doesn't want to do anything which might hinder people using e-bikes…even if they can travel at 80kph and weight as much as a small car.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭gossamerfabric

Germany which is a larger market has a limited speed of 20kmph with a tolerance of 10% i.e. 22kmph and that is the top speed of my legal e-scooter and the certificate of conformity is needed in order to buy mandatory insurance number plate.

The top assisted speed of my pedelec is 25kmph which is the top speed allowed by the regulations in order to avoid the need for insurance, helmet and testing.

My scooter is under 16kg with a range of 33km, lights, side reflectors and a bell to warn pedestrians on shared pavements.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,519 ✭✭✭✭Varik

There was a one off comment in the Dail debates months ago about those and then nothing, they just mentioned bla bla EU in the answer and then nothing.

L1e-A E-Moped still pedal assisted no throttle but upto 1kW, and just need to register, a proper motorcycle helmet, and whatever motor tax which is hopefully low. Can see delivery and cargo versions of that doing well.

L1e-B e-Mopeds pretty much just L1e with pedals (or putting the ped back in moped), up to 4kW with all the rules for mopeds apply. No need for insurance if pedal assisted only.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,376 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Was just the other day crossing a road with a green man, transit van stopped at the lights and one of those larger ebikes (with the chunky wheels) with the uber eats things on the back flew through the red light skimming past my nose - he obviously could not see anyone crossing but didn't give a damn, if I'd been 2 secs earlier he would have smashed in to me. This was me this time but I've seen it many times with walking to and from work every day. They are no different than scooters in my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,436 ✭✭✭✭ted1

they are motorbikes not E-Bikes. The motor operates regardless of the pedals not moving. And they exceed 25kmh and 250w

*this is their actual classification, they require tax, insurance, licence and helmet

Post edited by ted1 on

From a design standpoint, 55kg for a scooter seems insane

My cargo bike is over 30kg and already a pain in the ass if you need to lift it up anywhere

With 55kg you'd have enough for a range of hundreds of kilometres. Realistically, how many people are going to want to go from Dublin to Cork on an E-scooter?

Believe it or not, the Minister for Transport doesn't order the guards around

They don't need extra legislation for e-bikes. The existing limits already define that anything over 250W or 25km/h isn't a light vehicle, and so needs to be road legal with tax and insurance

The problem with e-bikes is enforcement, the guards are unable or unwilling to perform checks on e-bikes

I agree there needs to be more enforcement, but given the guards are already spread thin across other areas, I don't see it happening soon

• Advertisement

s-pedelec looks very attractive because it doesn't need insurance. They could become the Honda 50/Moped of this generation. Yes, you need an AM licence and yes, you need motor tax but they are not major obstacles where as the need for insurance has killed the conventional Moped market in Ireland. With the push for 30kmph zones it might end up being the quickest way to get around within the canals in Dublin. I would still keep my pedelec as I can get up to 30kmph out of it after the motor switches off without raising a sweat and it is legal for bus lanes and bike lanes. https://www.gov.ie/pdf/?file=https://assets.gov.ie/293234/b26becea-4b39-4055-ab69-affe8264459e.pdf#page=null

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭phester28

what most people have missed is that scooter for our Huge Irish market need.

1. Both wheel braking. - currently there that would be less than 1% of all manufactures

2 Lighting requirements are written weirdly as well as front and back reflectors (I guess they could be added to current Escooters)

3 having a design limit of 20kph (not a speed limit) would also limit the pool of escooters to about 1% of all available market scooters. We are the only country in the world to have this design rule.

There are also wheel size restrictions but I dont think that is an issue

What I dont knnow is what happens if you are guilty of an offense. you dont need a license so no points should be applied. but it does not say if its an auto confiscation or court or what.

55kg does seem a bit high, but batteries are heavy. The kilos pile up fast as you add range which then results in the need for a thicker, heavier frame.

Stay Free

Maybe they just want to discourage their use and divert to e-bikes (pedal assist)?

Our roads are crap for the small wheels on E scooters. Even on those with perfect surfaces, they look very unstable, or else it's the people on them that cannot keep them stable.

Give me a larger wheeled bike any day, plus you get to sit down!

German scooters are 20kmph plus/minus 10% tolerance. A german approved e-scooter would be legal in Ireland.

Mine is regenerative on one wheel and friction on the other.

bell on scooter is very important too.

Seats on e-scooters are allowed so long as they are not fixed and can be removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,436 ✭✭✭✭ted1

these are 55kg scooters. I wouldn’t call them an EScooter. And are definitely not what is mean to yo be included in the act. The seat alone rules them out as EScooters

They are scooters on par with Vespas as opposed to push scooters

https://kelstar.ie/citycoco-1500w-city-scooter/

Here is a 52kg scooter. The motor could be down-sized or speed restricted, but this is more what I had in mind.

https://www.voromotors.com/collections/long-range-electric-scooter/products/wolf-king-gt

It has 2 large battery packs (many scooter come with the ability to expand the battery packs) which adds a lot of weight to the vehicle. It's also a well built frame, something I think is very important for safety and stability for the rider and others.

This is why adding such a low weight restriction is idiotic. We will have cheap, flimsy pieces of crap that are legal, but are prone to splitting in half when hitting a pebble. Something like the one linked above, or pictured below would be a much better and safer scooter with speed restricted. It would cover many peoples commutes in cold temperatures without concern of range.

By the way, I'm not an e-scooter owner, but I owned one years back.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

I would have thought it would be easy to speed limit one of these through software?

It should be doable, but it's likely the shop will be doing it instead of the factory, so it'll probably be slower and more expensive with that cost passed onto the customer

• Advertisement

Yes, that's right in most cases. So while I personally think 20km/h is too restrictive, the real issue is the weight restriction which severely limits the range by method of reduced battery capacity.

Stay Free

Advertisement