Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aurora Watch this Weekend

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Looking at the aurora map, literally has no aurora cover over Ireland tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭ongarite

Looks to be mainly of North America tonight unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭ando

how can the predictions be so wrong!! It’s literally not anywhere near Ireland. Northern half of Norway/Sweden

• Registered Users Posts: 2 downtown123987

no point keeping an eye out I’m in the north so??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

Still seems to be a chance of some in the northern half of the country, according to the MyAurora iPhone app.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,911 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Some more from last night I have finaly found the time to process.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,933 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Currently standing alone in Mount Lucas Wind farm between Tullamore and Eden Derry. Some lovely stars. Cheshire cat smiling moon but not much else. 😶‍🌫️

• Registered Users Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭obi604

mid Galway. Had a drive around and look out there. Could not see anything really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

Hill of Tara, loads of people here. No sign of any aurora.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭firemansam4

Stats are not looking too good at the moment. It could still change but it is looking nothing like yesterday at all, BZ is staying mostly north which isn't a great sign.

Might keep an eye on it for a while longer but I wouldn't be hopeful at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,717 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Tara and Aurora has a nice ring to it. Could start a poem or a song out of that.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Nothing. City centre is never good for celestial sights anyway! :/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Stunning... Does it look like that with the naked eye? @cnocbui ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,947 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

While hoping to see the aurora

Crowds thronged the auld hill of Tara

But to their dismay

Clouds got in the way

And their trip was sadly for nada

If you use the right exposure on your camera ...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,947 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

No, mostly it just looks like very uniform pale cirrus clouds, like a pale miky smudge of light. I can't see more than the barest hint of colour, usually more in the visual periphery rather than where looking. Some of the strong streakiness is apparent to the eye and conveys a sense that something unusual is going on, and it all changes rather quickly in a way that is not cloud like.

Cameras allow it to be better seen because the exposure can be longer allowing the light to accumulate in a single frame. Those are all enhanced as well, so get a further lift in brightness and contrast relative to the image straight out of the camera.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

So after a 3.5 hour roundtrip no Auroras were seen. Disappointed as they are in my top 3 on my bucket list. Keeps the excuse for Iceland going

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Avatar in the Post

Totally missed this yesterday, raging I missed it. Got excited it was supposed to be back tonight 😰

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

Clouds cleared a bit in Kerry but no sign of any aurora.

Lots of sightings around Birmingham, Liverpool, Manchester if social media is to be believed (but clearer skies).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭Dazler97

None tonight that I can see 👀 I'm gonna definitely go Scandinavia in winter to see them 💯

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭tikkamark

The kp index is way lower tonight than last night it was a conservative 50% chance of seeing it last night even though practically everyone got a glimpse,it’s at 1% tonight it’s back way up north in scandinavia and Iceland….that’s nature I guess☹️So delighted I ventured out last night as I was going to just go to bed!I spent a week in Iceland last winter and didn’t see a thing constantly cloudy each night I was there that’s the lotto of aroura hunting but Iceland is a spectacular country all the same with all the geothermal activity so well worth the trip.Finland would be another good bet but a lot more expensive to stay and for flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

ironic that the ‘northern’ lights weren’t even visible above the Arctic Circle due to 24 daylight.

The sky cleared around 1am and stars were visible but nothing to see.

Sightings reported even in South Australia and Tasmania!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,573 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I assume that's the southern lights coming up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Aurora Australis

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Took a spin up to Howth Summit last night around 9pm. Lovely weather. People had parked their cars everywhere, blocking in other motorists. The disabled bays were occupied by non-badged cars. Lots of rubbish left around the bin area. It was a bit chaotic. Sun had just set and there nothing to see. Glad I left after 10-15 minutes, because the exit was getting blocked by cars as we were leaving. Missed the lights the first night, but plan to do Iceland this, or next year.

Stay Free

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Sat in the garden with the husband and two kids until midnight. Beautiful night nonetheless.

We're taking them to Lapland in December so they'll see it then, all going well.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭gossamerfabric

I went to Tromso at considerable effort and expense a long time ago to see them and they made no appearance so happy to have seen them this weekend.

• Advertisement

Around 4am I was calling it a night and decided to have a go making a roughly 90° panorama, but as each exposure was 8 sec and I took 7 images from left to right, too much was changing with clouds moving a bit and the Aurora itself shifting, the resulting stitched panorama looked rather weird and lost the essence of the individual images, so here are 3 from the sequence, the left image is looking west and the right, north. The brighter sky to the right is impending dawn.

Each image is exactly the same exposure setting and processed exactly the same, so it's interesting how much the green and prominent pink ray changed inside of a minute. Change in angle of the streaks is due to the distortion you get using a wide angle lens.

Clicking on the image will get you a larger view of it.

Next project is to process the frames that made up that timelapse I posted earlier, as that should be much improved.

Advertisement