Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aurora Watch this Weekend

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Dazler97

They where unreal I'm so happy to have seen them

• Registered Users Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭pauldry

Best photo I got in Rosses Pt. There were piles of people there.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭ricimaki

Limerick county views

• Registered Users Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Been driving around and can't see them at all. Feel I may have missed my chance to see them

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭ricimaki

Even if you can't see them with your eyes, or only see a very small streak in the sky, take a photo, as a camera will really expose the detail, and you might get something like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,164 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

I’m in south Dublin looking north over the city and I can’t see any aurora, however to the NW I can see a coppery sliver of a moon. Looks beautiful- like it’s on fire!

Had The high streak above my house, drove out to the local gaa pitch and been sky watching. Apprantly another wave to hit soon. Hope I see something.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,906 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

From rural Tipp, including the crescent moon over Lough Derg.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭smokingman

Been nerding out all evening and thoroughly enjoyed tonight. That's a midnight Wicklow view btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Portweather

Portarlington. Words can’t explain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭eronayne

Tipperary Town

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭davehey79

just outside Longford

Timelapse from rural Tipp, pointed almost straight up.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭InAtFullBack

The peak to see them with the naked eye was between 11.05pm and 11.35pm

If you're staying up late, keep a regular check every five to ten minutes - it's possible for a few repeats throughout the night.

The best direction to view is northeast, to east-northeast when in full tilt, back more north-northeast when eased down. (hopefully no town lights towards that horizon)

If you've an iPhone 12 or higher, they take a really good shot. Otherwise, google how to take a long (4 second) exposure shot on [insert your phone brand and model here].

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭noplacehere

thanks a mill. Off to sleep now then for me. Nothing visible and the kids are finally asleep again

This is just one frame from the timelapse I posted, after doing some adjustments. This event is gloriously nuts. 15sec exposures, so you can see a streak on the left which is likely a satellite, I'd guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Rain Spreading From The West

Earlier on from Mayo looking East.

A bit later, looking North-West.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭InAtFullBack

Going again right now 1.18am - visible to naked eye!

Give your eyes a minute or two to adjust if going outside

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭lolie

You must be in a bright spot, it's clearly visible to the eye now as it brightened up again

Looking North east now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭pauldry

Ya God has turned them on again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Yeah the green does not seem to register with the eye much, now and then at peak you could tell where the 'green' was, but you still needed the phone/exposure to make it fully pop.

The pinks and reds though, wow what a show. The extent of it too - this was no band on the horizon. It was right overhead and such a wide display. We were all in awe as the intensity started increasing. You could see it dancing and shimmering too. Very cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭highdef

A small selection from Longford.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Just in again, got very cool out in the breeze here near the Kerry coast but spectacular show again, got lots of good shots, might be able to make a gif tomorrow. Great that so many got to see them, my son set up a chair and table with snacks and space music on 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭greenpilot

Kilmovee, Co. Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭deandean

Once-in-a-lifetime. Expecting that golden ladder to descend from the clouds any moment! My photos taken at Carrickgollogan hill, Leadmines, Dublin mountains:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭highdef

Poor quality short time lapse from a few hours ago.

Whack…

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Dazler97

CAn still see the northern lights in carrick

• Advertisement

She comes in colours everywhere
    She combs her hair
    She's like a rainbow
    Coming colours in the air
    Oh, everywhere
    She comes in colours