Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aurora Watch this Weekend

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭J6P

Kerry..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,377 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I believe it's east-west oriented because it's such a large departure from usual peak auroral latitudes (65-75N) where it takes on that appearance, so you're seeing what is a normal high-latitude display.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,693 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Mayo/Ros border

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭teddybones

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Astro1996

THIS IS INSANE!!! OMG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

A lot of light pollution here in Dublin. But clearly visible with the naked eye. Amazing.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,183 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Castlebar

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

Yeah, well that was…….&@*#ing EPIC!!!

My first Aurora ever at 50yo and it was a Doozy!!

Walked down to Bray beach at about 10:40pm and sat on the stones with our back to the prom and lights. If we didnt know what we were looking at you’d think it was just a fog bank dimly lit by the moonlight.

After 15 minutes of staring at it and our eyes getting dark adapted we started to see vertical striations come and go.

Was kind of thinking to ourselves, look, glad we came down, glad those photons hit our eyeballs but really its a bit underwhelming compared to the photo’s you see.

…and then at about 11.05pm we started to see some pink coming in and wondered were we imagining things….and then it rapidly intensified and ……HOLY F**K!! incredible sight. Greens and pinks and reds NAKED EYE! Realised the Locus of all the striations seemed to be at zenith and then realised there was a major band from the zenith stretching to the western horizon too!

I’ll admit we were almost ready to call it a night at 11pm, already happy to say we’d finally seen a real Aurora (but a bit underwhelmed but expected to be anyway) Thank &@#k we hung on another 5 minutes because the thing just went wild!

A…Mazing!! heading to bed now giddy! LOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

We could see them with the naked eye could make out the purple fairly well not so much the green but doesn't look anything like the photos I took in real life. Still amazing to see

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭lolie

Even Stevie Wonder could see them tonight 😃, get out to the darkest place you can, nothing short of spectacular.

They eased of a bit but brightening up again, never thought I'd be facing south looking at aurora in ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭noplacehere

Is there more to come? Working on getting the kids back to sleep currently 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭nuttyboy79

Dublin 15

• Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭g0g

Bray. Back garden. Delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭lisabiscuit

Galway about half an hour ago 😍

• Registered Users Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭pauldry

Looking out the bedroom window at 1130pm with streetlights on and dodgy Samsung. Went to rosses pt n that was the most amazing moment of my life by far n im 50! Wow. I

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Incredible sight. Amazing to see with naked eye

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭sq_forever

Fermanagh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭bloopy

Absolutely incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Tramore, Co. Waterford

• Registered Users Posts: 6,717 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Also, looks like you got a Pyramid in there too ! 👍

• Advertisement

Me gaff! Relief! Like a weight lifted off my shoulders. The pressure to see them! Haha

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Had to come in and charge the battery on the DSLR !

Epic night, these are a few of the better ones off the card so far.

Post edited by Meteorite58 on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭pauldry

Rosses pt was kinda like this but even though Iphones show everything they still aren't what you see with naked eye which was a lot more bright than this crap photo for people who haven't seen it. However it's out there now. Just go to a dark field n look up.

last one

• Registered Users Posts: 20,348 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Its at times like this, I wish I had a decent camera. Amazing to see and my kids loved them. Rang my mother to go out and look too. She was amazed. I won't post my dodgy phone camera shots, they pale in comparison to some people's on here 😅😅

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭bloopy

South Kilkenny

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭odonopenmic

Ballyfoyle, Kilkenny

• Registered Users Posts: 30,372 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Awful hazy weather in South Cork, not visible to the naked eye but managed to get one or two dodgy pictures of it on my phone by randomly shooting.

Post edited by Tauriel on

• Registered Users Posts: 28 3mom4

Any chance of some more soon, missed the earlier show!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,941 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Nothing in Cork City

Advertisement