Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Higher Executive Officer 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Augme

Correct, no educational qualification required.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Mr lebowski

Thanks for the reply. If my time as a TCO previously a few years back counts then I will be eligible. I appreciate the response.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 EmmaMol

I've never made it past shortlisting before, hopefully do this time but has this been typical for heo comps in the past? I know the standard has to be higher but there does seem to be an awful amount of hoops to jump through for it that I don't remember seeing before.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Stranger Things

Just finished my one year probation and would have loved to apply. Can be so annoying these two year requirements…..

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭gestappo

The candidates in the previous PAS HEO Comp had to do a presentation too, so this isn't new. The application form itself though seems more in-depth this time around

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭skidmarkoner

The last year had no tests, this year has a new framework + tests ontop of what previous panels had to do. I get a sense they'll either be extremely tough on applicants this year and do an open comp in 2026 or go soft of us I don't think this is anyway a normal year for HEO inter d

Plus the panel ends Nov 2025

I thought in the last HEO comp they had the usual tests?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 prin2023

Hello, Do they ever ask for you leaving cert results? I have leaving cert but cannot remember exact results for each subject. Hoping to go for this comp. Have been in CS for 7 years now

• Registered Users Posts: 1 NillyNIR

I was thinking the same thing, could score easier as we are a trial run to a new system so fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Dublin2024

I’m not sure wether shortlisting is definitely used, it mentioned it in the EO 2024 booklet but they went straight to psychometric tests instead - perhaps this comp could be the same?

• Advertisement

What kind of clearance fo they require if you get to that stage? Is it just a thumbs by HR or does your line manager have to write a letter?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭dub70

Just a record of sick and check boxes for time keeping, recommendation and comments. You are entitled to see the form

So no references just records?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 prin2023

Also, anyone any experience witht he practical exam previously? Is it a presentation?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭dub70

Not as such, it just asks if person is suitable and you just tick box. They can call for an informal reference. That's just how we did it in AGS but other departments may do things differently

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭hungerjames

Vimeo says psychometrics first, then shortlisting after. Presentation and interview last. From their perspective there's no point shortlisting people for the interview if they fail the tests.

Good detail about this in the Vimeo. It's the same as the last competition, it's along the general lines of you are emailed in advance with a choice of three topics (different for each person) and have to submit a document in advance of the interview, and then give it as a presentation pre-interview, for about 15 mins with question and answer session included, on how you would go about implementing a particular goal in the PFG with your chosen department. Question and answer will be checking how you came about your plan, why you chose the particular deadlines you did, what sources did you pull from etc. Can you put together a plan for something in a way that makes sense, in other words, and present it to a team, in line with the criteria for interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭society4

is this competition open to EOs in the public sector ….i don’t see the advert on public jobs.ie..

My read of the Circular (linked in the original post) is that it's Civil Service only.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭society4

I think you are right ….do they ever have general competitions for HEO that public servants can apply for through PAS?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Watermelonsugar

The generalist HEO grade is a promotional middle management grade so has always been interdepartmental or internal mostly requiring 2 yrs civil service experience.

From time to time there are HEO open competitions for specific roles like IT, HR, Communications etc. but not for the large panels.

I think public sector orgs like local government, agencies and authorities have Staff Officer open competitions more frequently in a similar style

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,332 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I would love to go for this and if something comes to pass, that I wish I had someone to talk to about, I would have some excellent experience in applying for it but right now I think I would struggle to pass, shame it is not a year out.

My experience in applying now and answering the questions would be from several years ago - really in two minds about even trying for it right now or just go for it and get the experience of it. As said above everyone is a guinea pig on this as a new application process.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,516 ✭✭✭jaffa20

What have you got to lose? I am applying for it even though I'm not sure I'd accept it if I was successful. It really depends on the Department and my circumstances at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭apkmbarry

Get an application in, worst case you get to see the interview style etc and it can make your next application stronger when you feel you have better examples etc :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Christmaschris

Does anyone have any advice for what competencies to choose for the application? Or how they should be layed out etc.

Watch the Vimeo linked in the original post, because the metrics they are using are different to previous competitions and they go into a good amount of detail. You can see the breakdown of each area here: https://www.publicjobs.ie/en/information-hub/capability-framework/higher-executive-officer

Generally speaking each example should follow the STAR format but with more of a focus on how you went about the task, and why, rather than giving up most of the wordcount to describing the problem itself.

I'm quite happy to go over the examples you're considering with you if you DM.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,516 ✭✭✭jaffa20

I wrote mine out as an essay styles with points starting as situation,task,action and results except for the overviews of leadership this is a few bullet point's covering each key word in the competency. It's actually really difficult to coherently fill it out under the word count as it counts spaces as a character.

How many point do you need to hit in your application to get shortlisted anybody know?

I need focus on getting this application started this weekend. I haven't had a chance to look at the application since it was released or give it much thought. There is quite a lot of effort involved, so I need to get back into the 'headspace' of it all 🧐

There's an internal HEO coming out in my Dept too so that'll be two ongoing applications

Have many of you submitted the form?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭furrybones

I'm in the same boat. I was hoping to get some guidance from my AP but it's hard to get the time.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts"

Advertisement