Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Higher Executive Officer 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭hungerjames

Link to publicjobs.ie capability framework for Higher Executive Officer is here: https://www.publicjobs.ie/en/information-hub/capability-framework/higher-executive-officer

DPENDR Circular 07/2024 – Interdepartmental Competition for Promotion to Higher Executive Officer (HEO) in the Civil Service refers - will be published to gov.ie/circulars later.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 SpringThing

Can't decide on local or Dublin, Leaning towards Dublin. Currently on EO probation after recently being promoted from CO but going to apply for this anyways.

It seems to be a new thing to only ask for 1 location rather than 2 - the overwhelming bulk of appointments will be made from Dublin unless you're near the top of the panel for your county, I would think, based on where the available positions are.

Definitely go for it as you are just as eligible as anyone else and the new capability based system should be a lower bar for entry - you don't have to already be working at a HEO level, is my understanding, you just have to show based on your previous experience that you could. I think capability based will make the jump from CO to EO much easier in particular because I think most COs fail that due to a lack of management experience that isn't actually asked of them at their level.

(BTW I have nothing to do with this competition, so don't take this as any kind of official advice!)

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭skidmarkoner

I wonder if they are doing tests 🤔

It's confirmed that Stage 1 is verbal and numerical tests (doesn't seem to have the situational test this time), then Stage 2 is Shortlisting, then Stage 3 is practical exercise and interview.

There's a Vimeo link in the circular, click it when it goes live as it's very in-depth about every section of the new criteria. It even has sample interview Qs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭MFPM

Three stages! Given how slow the process can be, it could be September or later before anyone is appointed..

Thanks time to put some prep into the tests, any advice would be welcomed

My advice with regard to the numerical and verbal:

• Sounds obvious but don't be anywhere you can easily be interrupted. There are always horror stories on here of the husband who kept trying to ask random questions halfway through, the postman waving at you through the window with your parcel that you were ignoring etc :) You'll need stable internet, pen and paper for rough work and a calculator - it's way better to have a physical calculator.
    • Don't go spending big money on third party companies who offer practise tests! My opinion (only) is that these aren't worth it. PAS change test providers every now and then, and you might be practicing a test that doesn't even have the same format as the one you'll be completing.
    • They send a practice test out alongside the invitation to the real test. If you do the practice test once or twice to get a sense of the questions, that's all the preparation you'll need in advance.
    • If a question will take you a million years to work out, it's OK to skip and come back to it in the interests of speed and accuracy. Some people suggest you start taking random guesses near the end if you aren't done - I advise against it. IMO getting them generally correct and as much as you could get done is better than just throwing chaos at the wall and seeing what sticks.
    • For the verbal, if you have three options, True, False, Don't Know - "Don't Know" is a perfectly acceptable answer and isn't a cop-out. Sometimes the information genuinely won't be in the paragraph above.
    • Lastly - deep breaths and you'll be fine!! You're more able than you think.

Legend

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Patches oHoulihan

What's the top pay of a HEO?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭furrybones

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts"

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ShrimpTech39
    Nell

Yeehaw!

Nell

What is practical testing in stage 3?

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭gestappo

You've to research a specific topic, write 3 or 4 detailed pages on the subject and then do a live presentation along with answering questions, right before your interview.

Nell

Thanks. I thought that was just for open competitions, not Interdepartmental.

Nell

Thanks. I thought that was just for open competitions, not Interdepartmental.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,569 ✭✭✭Augme

There's no general grade open HEO competition for the civil service.

Post edited by Augme on

Edited original post to add competition brochure and Vimeo link.

The Vimeo is really good about the new framework, what they're asking, how it will be scored etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 cgordy

Does anyone know if AOs on probation are eligible? I've heard mixed things about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭MFPM

AOs are not eligible to compete for HEO, fairly sure probation makes no difference to this.

• Advertisement

I wonder if it's possible to see how many applied for the last competition in any area

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Lemon Davis lll

Page 5 of the circular has a county-by-county breakdown of HEO's appointed from the 2020 & 2022 competitions

Oh but I was thinking say if dunlin had 10k applications but 262 hires what is likelihood ill get called

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭jules86

If you pass all stages there is a good chance you will get called for Dublin. Check last discussion to see if panel exhausted

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Watermelonsugar

Looking at the first paragraph of booklet I would say deffo go for Dublin if feasible for you, competition seems to be primarily for posts there as previous panel still being used elsewhere plus this comp has a shorter panel lifetime

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Watermelonsugar

Excellent advice on numericals. Physical calculator and no distractions are essential. Just wanted to add I utilised free trial versions of paid tests once dates announced and defo helped with speed even if format was different.

Also used YouTube videos for areas id fluster or felt time consuming and found fluster really useful shortcuts for averages percentages etc

It's all about practice & prep.

Nell

Are there any good websites for calculating averages / percentages / statistics that you found? I could actually do with this in my day to day work haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Mr lebowski

Hi,

I am just catching up on this now. The last HEO panel stated that if u worked in the public service previously you could count that time towards the 2 years requirement. Am I correct in thinking that doesn't apply this time and if you have under 2 years in the civil service you are ineligible?. Or is there something I am missing?

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭CiboC

The circular states that, on 06/06/24, you have to:

be serving in a permanent, temporary or acting capacity in the Civil Service in a grade below that of Higher Executive Officer or equivalent

and

have completed not less than two years’ service in the Civil Service.

The 2 years does not have to be continuous and does not have to be directly prior to 06/06/24, but if you simply don't have 2 years service in total from somewhere, sometime, you are ineligible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,394 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

There's no qualification minimum for this, at least can't see anything in the circular?

Advertisement