Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What minor ocd traits do you have?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Alexus25

Since covid I've become so aware of contamination e.g. people touching the bin and putting the bins out and not washing their hands after and touching all our stuff in the kitchen, so now I'm never without my sanitiser 🙈

• Registered Users Posts: 34,564 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I'd love to know where the volume being set to an even number thing comes from, have heard lots and lots of people doing this, it seems really common.

I get a bit weird about electric devices being plugged in if I'm going away for a holiday. In the past I used to go around the house plugging everything out, but then one day it occurred to me that by plugging stuff out I'm actually causing wear to plugs/sockets, perhaps making them even more dangerous (!).

So now I just go around switching all the sockets off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,369 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

My father was like that but annoyingly he also had to flush the toilet for some reason before he went out. I don't mean use the toilet and flush it I mean just go into the bathroom and flush the toilet for no apparent reason.

Wake me up when it's all over.

Hmmmmm LOL I have to do that. TV is always on number 12 for volume. 11 or 13 would just be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

I have to count steps as I either go up or down. The best thrill is when you've started e.g. taken two or three steps without remembering to count, guessing the count and getting it right at top/ bottom!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭markc1184

I'm very particular about how bread/toast is buttered and I also have a set way of how I make a cup of tea.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,575 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Filling the dishwasher. There's a proper way of doing it. Every so often, I open the dishwasher at home and a line from 'apocalypse now' comes to mind.

Master of the Universe

And another one! 😁 I wonder are there any people out there who have to have the TV on an odd number for volume rather than even… are they the real freaks perhaps?

My wife is like this. The butter has to be spread completely evenly and cover all of the toast.

I do the exact opposite and leave massive clumps of butter all over the toast. Massive spots with no butter at all. It drives her absolutely insane.

Master of the Universe

'In every partnership, there is a person who stacks the dishwasher like a Scandinavian architect and a person who stacks the dishwasher like a racoon on meth'

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

Always sit in the same place at dinner

Sleep on same side of bed

That's it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭Comhrá

When I'm folding a sheet of paper, say, A4 size, I have to fold it exactly so the corners are perfectly matched up. Drives me mad if they're off-square when folded.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,941 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I have to take my clothes off before I iron them.

If I travel up a hill, to get back to where I started, I have to travel back down a hill. Doesn't necessarily have to be the same hill.

I follow every inhalation with an exhalation. Religiously, even when I'm asleep.

If my heart doesn't beat at least once a minute, I feel like I'll actually die.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Senature

Yep I am also an ordered dishwasher stacker and laundry hanger.

However I think my most significant one is that I check I have passport / tickets etc with me about 25 times between the night before a holiday and getting to airport security. Ditto concert tickets, or my phone if they are on an app.

Master of the Universe

Does anyone ever go into a checking loop where you've to check the item again in case it fell out of your bag during your last check?

Post edited by o1s1n on

• Registered Users Posts: 24,904 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I’m quite ocd about timekeeping. I cannot abide rushing, or indeed being kept waiting by others which is not something I enjoy inflicting on others….

To the point that if I agree to meet X person at a pub say at 8 pm, my departure will be planned so I’m actually there early as opposed to just on time.

no idea where this came from, maybe when I was a kid a relative of ours was always late for any and every get together and people would be holding off ordering, or if in someone’s home plating up food to wait. Always as a kid even saw massive disrespect and arrogance in that…..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,941 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Needmoretea

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Schnooks

I have a few that are already mentioned - dishwasher stacking is a big one in this house. I won't let the missus do it, or find myself correcting it to fit more stuff in if I see she has just flung stuff in there randomly. Also she doesn't always rinse dishes after handwashing, and this drives me daft!

I would say my biggest one though is - scratch left side of face with left hand, HAVE to do the same on the right. Same with scratch ear etc. This has actually been noticed by people other than herself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

When watching archive television on DVD / BD, I try & watch on same day & time I saw it originally i.e when I got Hill Street Blues box, I watched one episode a week on Mondays around 10.45pm.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I need to flip the light switch on and off over 17 times or my family will die

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,338 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The old style cabinets with TV on top and dvd \ vhs player on shelf. If the shelf door is open it has to be completely open, I can't look at it straight on. Something about the edges.

The stuff on my desk needs to be on parallel lines, nothing crooked.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,796 ✭✭✭amacca

I don't have a set number so maybe its not OCD but some other affliction but I definitely have to check if I've actually locked something a number of times…..in short succession….im fairly sure I have but its almost like I don't trust myself and I hate walking away/going about my business not being fully sure……hopefully not early dementia…don't think I ever had any particularly stressful childhood experiences around not locking things!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

A kindred spirit re time keeping I get quite annoyed with people not being on time no matter what the situation lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Closing doors or gates behind me even if I am leaving soon. Rearranging cutlery on tables in Restaurants.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Its ok, it's from a TV show.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,316 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I'd set my Alarm for 8:02 instead of 8:00.

When drying my hair I count to 18 then to 12 then to 18 then to twelve.

Similar with other tasks such as stirring soups, sauces, stir frys, turning something in a frying pan.

It started a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Sometimes I have my dinner after my dessert.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

If I need cash for something like a physio appointment, I’ll check I took out the right amount of cash 5+ times on the day.

I’ll check my wallet has the cash, then count it even though I took out that specific amount from the ATM. Then when I’m happy I’ve got the right amount, I’ll worry I accidentally let some of the cash fall out of my wallet when I was checking it and will re-check multiple times throughout the day.

It’s an absolute pain but the fear of not having the right amount of cash and the potential awkwardness of embarrassing myself eats at me if I ignore the urge to check the cash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭mckildare

Napkins must be in the holder with the fold facing up because if sideways you could take out one by half and it wouldn't be folded anymore. Also why can't have a horizontal holder.

Toilet paper must be set so it rolls from the top front towards you and not from the back and under if that makes sense.

Advertisement