Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sepsis deaths in hospitals.

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I gave a link to the source of the figures, which was an Australian government publication.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭tohaltuwi

I have MS and quite a medical history. To be frank, when it comes to a decision about whether or not to go to a hospital, I’m long in the tooth enough to have a good idea about what’s going on in my own body and not to fully rely on my GP’s judgement. I use my Apple Watch to do a background monitoring, and I keep a peak flow meter, spirometer, good thermometer, pulse oximeter and BP monitor, and urine testing sticks. When I don’t feel well I run through the simple tests. If anything is out of parameter I have a very good idea, and when and where to get help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭ProfessorPlum

Do you want to cite the part that says Australia has a 2.91% hospital mortality for sepsis?

It is so far off the mark that it couldn't possibly be correct, or at least it's not comparing the same thing that the HSE or NHSE is reporting

• Registered Users Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

You can't be serious, this country is a world leader in the art of sweeping unpleasant facts under the carpet. There is probably a unit in the OPW who are kept incredibly busy evening out the bumps to maintain a flat appearance. /s

• Registered Users Posts: 8,685 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Playback this morning on Radio 1 was tough listening when they covered the Aoife Johnston death. The family were literally begging for help for hours and hours until it was too late. Very sad.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Meeoow

Happened a relative of mine a few years ago. He was in hospital already, had cancer. Was improving one day, next day, went downhill. Day after, even worse. We begged the nurses to take a look at him as there was clearly something wrong with him. They couldn't give a crap. Told us to come back the next morning and speak to a doctor. In the mean time we got a call to say he was in septic shock. I can't understand why the nurses in UHL couldn't have spotted the urgency in Aoifes case. It shouldn't have been all on the one doctor to deal with everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,157 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I would happily pay the highest of tax like the Scandinavian countries if we could sort this out.

That being said, we as a country need to tear up the script and rewrite it in regards to who can enter these professions. We are excluding so many people that actually want to be doctors and nurses through antiquated school and college systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 tarvis

Yes, more sound is a bad idea in what is already a noisy environment but an alarm message on the central computer which cannot be cancelled unless the case is signed off as treated by a senior doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,685 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Very good discussion with medical professionals on Brendan O'Connor this morning. One consultant said he does not believe the reported number of beds in the system. He said there was approx 11,000 beds in 2000 when a report was produced saying there was a major bed capacity problem. It was the same number in 2020. Brendan said that he heard 2000 beds were added since 2020 but the consultant said he did not believe that and would love to see each bed get a tracking barcode so they could identify the accurate number. He said the government were always announcing new beds but never mention when beds are taken away.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,709 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

"Beds" does not mean horizontal thing peope lie on. Its a proxy measure for staffing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,361 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Septic shock is the end game for sepsis with a high mortality rate, your relative was in hospital , had cancer and no medical staff checked blood pressure for three days or noticed any signs of infection or distress at all ?

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Meeoow

They probably checked blood pressure, can't recall. As I said above they didn't act on signs of infection or distress. Are you trying to insinuate that I'm lying about it? Cause that's what your post looks like.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,361 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Advertisement