Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sepsis deaths in hospitals.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

Writing clinical notes, booking/reviewing scans and bloods, reviewing previous patient letters, contacting relevant teams, prescriptions etc. A doctor will have multiple active patients on their caseload and doing all the above in between seeing patients while awaiting investigations.

As a doctor who covers ED any of my non-patient facing tasks are generally all related to the care of the patients on my caseload. Just because we're not standing in front of a patient does not mean we aren't carrying out tasks relevant to their care.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,867 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

There are about 3,000 deaths per year from sepsis in Ireland, population 5m. In Australia there are 5,000 deaths for a Population of 26.4m, not 15,000 which would be the case if it was a medical hell-hole like Ireland. Ireland is very far away from having a 'best' or remotely adequate hospital environment.

Stop trying to make out that the death rate is anything remotely normal just because the condition is deadly, when the death rate shows that the way the health system operates in this coauntry is appalling, like so many things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭crusd

A clear case of taking one dataset telling one thing and another telling a different thing and saying they are comparable.

When you google deaths in Australia due to sepsis the first report is on 5,000 deaths from 18,000 admissions to ICU, a mortality rate of 28%

For Ireland when you have a cursory look at the sepsis reports you see 3,000 deaths and you conclude "Ireland bad".

But when you actually look at the Sepsis reports you see in 2022 Ireland had 3,718 people admitted to critical care with sepsis and a mortality rate of 34.9% equating to 1,298 deaths. The total figure of 3,000 includes those not admitted to ICU.

The total deaths in Australia due to sepsis seems hard to find, probably due to sepsis often being the ultimate cause of death in cancers and other diseases. Its likely far higher than 5,000 though. A data set I did find had it at 12,000 in 2018

So, stop cheery picking "Ireland Bad" data without making any effort to see is what you are asserting actually matches reality.

Ireland's record is not great in this respect and improvements could definitely be made, but our hospital mortality rates are comparable with similar countries contrary to the "Ireland is a third world country brigade"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,713 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Great unless it's time critical. Which is often the case in A&E

I'm not blaming the staff. I'm saying the process is broken, under resourced etc.

I agree with you on the latter point, however patients often take issue with seeing me or my colleagues sitting at a computer inferring that we're doing nothing when in fact we're doing tasks relevant to the care of our patients. That includes time-critical tasks (for eg getting an urgent chest x ray for a patient in respiratory distress, ordering cultures for a suspected sepsis, reading previous letters to identify necessary information for this critically unwell patient with a complex medical background that I've never met before).

Two weeks ago I had a call put through to my personal phone number by the hospital at 2AM while covering both ED and the wards. "Hi I'm looking for the doctor". I replied "Yes that's me" to which the person said "Just checking to see if there's actually a doctor there" and then hung-up. It was the relative of a patient in the ED waiting room.

I was 17 hours into a 24h shift with no sleep, I hadn't eaten since 11am the day before and had a full emergency department under my care as well as 2 wards juggling everything. The narrative that the doctor on-call is sitting around doing nothing when in actual fact they are drowning in work and clinical risk is soul-destroying when you are that doctor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 tarvis

Surely something is seriously wrong if on one hand a doctor works 17 hrs without rest , is unable to take meals and juggles a full emergency Dept plus 2 wards while on the other hand seriously ill people referred to hospital by their GPS and deemed emergencies at triage are not even seen by a doctor for more than 12 hours.
    Isn’t it obvious that something is very wrong with the paper trail/ computer system within which they are expected to work.
    Something is very wrong when the most important piece of information - sepsis- doesn’t seem to get past the hallway much less onto a computer screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭csirl

This is poor management. 3 x doctors for 180+ patients? Even with half the number of patients is still too few. Do the maths on each doctor spending at least 15min per patient.

At some stage there needs to be some accountability for hospital managers for poor planning/staff allocation. Especially considering the amount of money hospitals are given by the exchequer to deliver these services - there's no shortage of funds. €1m, which is small change for a hospital of this size, would get them 4 x consultants.

You're correct there is something wrong- staffing. No amount of IT streamlining or work process improvements is going to get around the fact we simply do not have enough staff. The result of this systemic failure is that individual clinicians are forced to bear excessive clinical risk and will be hung out to dry when error happens as a result of that inadequate staffing.

Without knowing the specifics from this case, my experience is that consultants are typically on a 1 in 3ish rota, which means they work a full 9-5 followed then by 16h off-site call into the next morning where they they continue their next 9-5 shift. On weekends they will typically be on-call for the entire weekend. During this time the expectation is they come in for an emergency/complex case and that they're available for telephone advice (which is frequent).

In this case the consultant was asked to come in due to the volume of patients in the ED and declined. There was subsequently an avoidable bad outcome. On the surface I think it's easy to blame the consultant but that ignores the systemic issues at play. If the consultant in UHL was expected to come in and work 36h on site every 3 days because the ED consistently has a high volume of patients they would make many more fatigue-induced errors, would be utterly useless in a critical emergency (like team-leading an arrest or major trauma) and quickly would be off on long-term sick or quit due to having no semblance of a life by working such hours. In this case the consultant has borne an unfair degree of clinical risk due to systemic short staffing and a system which will not provide enough staff to safely manage their ED 24/7 but will hang them out to dry when an inevitable bad outcome occurs.

I suppose I'm just coming at this from the opposite end because I read the excerpts from the staff accounts that night and see that it could very easily be me. I'm a good doctor but even the best doctor in the world is just one person and cannot work safely and prevent avoidable harm if you're one of 3 people staffing an ED overnight with 190 patients and 60 category 2 patients which are meant to be seen within 30 min.

Like I said my issue is not the staff.

But the fact remains of not seeing a doc for 12 hrs and being seen 2-3 times in 24 hrs, while people moving paper means the system is not fit for purpose. I've spent days in A&E either myself or with family members sometimes in life and death situations.

I think people have forgotten how it's meant to work. But this isn't it.

My question is not that consultants refuse to come in. But what has happened before this to cause them to refuse. There are systemic issues here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭csirl

To follow on from my previous post. UHL has 3,600+ staff and a budget of 383m, but it cant find room in its budget to allocate an extra few doctors to A&E.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,867 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

"18,000 Admissions". That's BS worthy of an HSE statistician.

The number of Australians who survive sepsis each year is unknown. Estimates suggest in Australia there are over 48,000 hospital admissions each year where sepsis is the main reason for admission and approximately 1,400 deaths each year where the underlying cause of death is sepsis.

https://www.safetyandquality.gov.au/sites/default/files/2021-02/report_-_sepsis_survivorship_-_a_review_of_impacts_of_surviving_sepsis_final.pdfThat's a mortality rate of 2.91% in Australian hospitals

This report shows that the associated in-hospital mortality rate for sepsis in 2020 has remained relatively stable at 19.0% when compared to the 2019 data (18.4%).

https://www.hse.ie/eng/about/who/cspd/ncps/sepsis/resources/national-sepsis-report-2020.pdf

The differenece in mortality rates for hospital admissions for sepsis is stark.

You're right that delay in being seen is not acceptable. However it's not due to a doctor doing non-patient facing tasks, it is again due to staffing. If I spend 15 minutes seeing a patient, I'll probably spend 10-15 minutes doing my notes and investigations etc. (sometimes longer if need to review medical notes or speak to other teams) but this isn't wasted time because it's necessary for me to think about the case and clinically reason. It might also be time reviewing the results of investigations. It also gives me a bit of breathing space to think between patients. This is all just as important as directly assessing the patient and contributes to safe and effective care. The answer is not to cut this time but to improve staffing so people can still safely do all the aspects of their job for the patient whether they are patient-facing or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭crusd

You are really struggling to keep up you Ireland is terrible at everything schtik.

Irish Hospital mortality rates

Australia by comparison from your own report

Again you are attempting to not compare like with like.

The figures you quoted are for Sepsis as underlying cause of death and does include all cases in which Sepsis was present which includes cancers and other comorbidities, which are counted in the Irish report.

No one's arguing about needing to do admin and due diligence work.. But no one's seeing staff going between patients and admin on a 1:1 ratio as you describe.

That someone rang to check was there even a doctor on suggests others see what I'm seeing.

Again I'm not blaming staff. But the system. Or as you stay staffing. But if there are workflows that soak time, throwing staff (and beds) at it won't fix it. Will fix a lot of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 tarvis

How about an electronic system - armband or such which recorded the need level of each patient as they went thru triage. The tags on level 1 and 2 high risk patients would emit an alarm after the magic 15 minutes had elapsed.

These alarms should ring in the A&E and in the higher hospital management offices during office hours. Out of hours the bells would transfer to the homes of top HSE and Dept of Health management. Would we get action then?
    Would reinforcements arrive?

Ok so maybe alerting the entire govt is a step too far but I very much doubt that the numbers on level 2 could have reached anything like 66 if some sort of alarm system was pinging all that night in University Hospital Limerick.

People are tired of saying we need better staffed A&Es - time to make managements hear the calls.
    Somehow.
    Anyhow

• Registered Users Posts: 12,393 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I wonder in this case if how the patient presented was an issue, a teenage girl stereotyped as a bit a bit hysterical or as having a panic attack if it was a middle-aged man or woman would have been treated differently due to unconscious bias?

A friend of one of my daughters friends has a cancer diagnosis and she was told she was having panic attacks by her GP, in fairness when she went to an ED they knew it wasn't panic attacks she was having and she got a diagnosis.

Post edited by mariaalice on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

You could tell this story a million times over, though admittedly in most cases it will be stress/anxiety/panic.

But I don't know, I'm essentially approaching middle age myself and I have my own experience of harsh treatment in A&E. They seem to only want you in A&E when you're crawling or being carried into the place. I went with a doctor's note in 2022, didn't make any difference to them. The nurse who signed me in was basically spitting in rage that I had the temerity to be there, and this was just a normal Wednesday afternoon.

Long story short I don't think it matters whether you're making a "big fuss" or just quietly waiting to be seen, if you walk in on your own 2 feet they don't want you there.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭tohaltuwi

Medical staff bias is, IMO, very evident from my own personal experience numerous times over. As a young woman my neurological symptoms were dismissed many times over and I was only diagnosied with quite bad secondary progressive MS last year. I have a history of colitis, panproctocolectomy, cardiac issues, so a lot of stuff was either dismissed altogether or put down somehow to those issues.

In recent years I have got all my medical records by FOI requests and saw for myself comments by a neurologist I incidentally got to see for nerve pain: his report mentioned hyperintensities on MRI but that “this patient’s symptoms are IMO more likely to be functional”. He diagnosed me as having “mild cognitive deficit, and prescribed a drug to treat early symptoms of dementia. Having since met a lot of people with MS, a couple of women reported similar experiences when younger with same consultant. Either dismissive or barking up the wrong tree.

Post edited by tohaltuwi on

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

You could try not completely misreading comments as something they are not. I didn't even mention Irish hospitals, it was a general comment, and crusd literally put stats in their post about Ireland performing worse than average. You're just looking to get angry over invented things here.

• Advertisement

Such tech could theoretically be adapted from the existing barcodes armbands, ie sending time-based sounding alarms via the ED computer. I reckon it would end up being a very noisy environment, a bit like tons of alarms going off simultaneously in an aircraft cockpit during an emergency, overwhelming the pilots where things have already badly gone wrong. But in principal it would be a good idea.

Some years ago I was an inpatient in a private hospital, when one of the patients in my room developed sepsis during the night. It was so sudden, she was chatting away in the phone at 10pm to her young son, advising him to pack a proper lunch for school, she was lively, full of chat, didn’t seem a thing was wrong.

An hour later the picture was quickly changing. She got sudden torrential diarrhoea, followed by increasing breathlessness, & intense headache which got progressively worse. The house doctor on duty was clueless as to what was happening, but two very experienced ICU agency nurses who had reported on duty in another ward, were called to see the patient and knew immediately what was happening and advised vasopressors, antibiotics , etc and quick transfer to ICU.

The trouble back then in the private hospital was that protocol required the patient’s own consultant to sanction the transfer to ICU and he was asleep at home and uncontactable. It was 7am before he answered the phone and ordered the transfer. I will never forget the distress of the patient, the sound of her drowning in her own fluids. I believe e she was placed on a ventilator and survived, but she could so easily have run out of time simply because of the protocol then in place in the hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,776 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Sincere thanks for your insights on the health system Anita. It's very enlightening. I don't know how you work in such a dysfunctional and under resourced environment.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭ProfessorPlum

"That's a mortality rate of 2.91% in Australian hospitals"

That statement in itself should raise a large red flag that you are not comparing like with like, or that you're interpreting the statistics incorrectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,393 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

It is a difficult one to get correct, if someone is presenting to ED several times and it is anxiety and panic attacks and not anything else how do ED staff proceed? As far as I can see GPs need to be much better and if they were maybe not as many would end up in ED.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Is medical misadventure really enough for what happened to Aoife Johnston? Were manslaughter charges considered?

Manslaughter charges against who?

Also, this is an inquest, so there are no criminal charges attached as such. It would be up to the DPP to take a criminal charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

The HSE, the dept of health, the management at the hospital, the health minister

I hope the DPP looks at this in detail

Yup. Just reading some of the testimony from Dr James Gray, the consultant in charge.

Why anyone would want to do that job. The entire department sounds like near permanent chaos. For a ED seeing that volume of patients, there really should be a consultant on site 24/7. But he was doing a 48 hour call, as well as covering the local injury units, and working the 'day' shift on the saturday and sunday. I would genuinely be anxious if I was in their catchment.

The Minister for Health and the HSE have known for years now that UHL has issues, but it seems not much has been done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I think it depends on the GP. You can see from this thread alone some people are very lucky in the care they have received. But a lot of people seem to be stuck in these mass clinics now where you're unlikely to see the same doctor twice in a row, where both are likely to give wildly differing opinions.

Maybe it's a postcode thing in Dublin, as I doubt there's many of these mass clinics in D4.

Advertisement