Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

EU Study finds ICE vehicles consume 20% more fuel than advertised

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭grennscreener

dozens of EV's are bad articles pushing the supposed lack or range "see the EV is an expensive toy flop that will never replace my 50 year old diesel"

One article saying claiming that ICE vehicles are 20% worse than the claimed range "you guys are so petty" 

brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,536 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I assume his point was you're doing the exact thing you're complaining about. While hitting every branch on the FUD tree on your way for some reason. If people don't want one, don't get one.

Its interesting how much inaccuracy WLTP has spawned.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,036 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

This lack of self awareness: "At the moment it just reads like angry privileged little men going blue in the face."

You're so triggered by a thread that's mostly in jest, you just had to come in here and unburden yourself. Hope it worked out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,629 ✭✭✭corks finest

It's the greens😊driving us all over the edge

I haven't an ev but am on my 3 Rd hybrid

Previous 2 were v frugal to be fair once driven easy,

First one got 61/2 mpg ( Honda insight 2010)

Second one another insight -53 plus MPG

Latest Suzuki ignis import hybrid not near as efficient at all,

Reckon a diesel would do as good probably better,

Heading back to another Honda( 2012) as soon as my sin passes his test,he's getting little ignis

Beauty about imported jap hybrids I found is reliability,low mileage, higher spec,and generally frugal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭DrPsychia

I owned a 2020 corolla hatch hybrid for a while, was super efficient around the city. I averaged 4.7L/100km brim calculated

• Registered Users Posts: 26 shimadzu

While the manufacturers claimed consumption is always going to vairy to that of the end users experience I think the accuracy of testing varies a lot based on the manufacturer. My experience is mainly limited to to Toyotas, Ford and VAG cars I would do mainly city driving in the smaller cars and long distance journeys in the larger ones.

1.4Ltr D4D Yaris as advertised.

1.5Ltr Hybrid Yaris better than advertised

1Ltr TSI Polo as advertised.

1.6Ltr FSI Golf much worse than advertised.

1.5Ltr TSI Fabia slightly worse than advertised.

1.4Ltr D4D Corolla as advertised.

2.0Ltr TDI Yeti as advertised.

2.0Ltr TDI Kodiaq slightly worse than advertised.

2.0Ltr TDDI Mondeo slightly worse than advertised.

EV ID4 worse than advertised (out of all the cars I've had this was the most disappointing from all aspects)

2.5Ltr Plug In Hybrid Rav-4 as advertised (this is by far my favorite car, its fast by SUV standards, has 4WD, nice finish inside it, can do about 70km on EV mode and has a petrol engine for when I need to travel further).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,036 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

I think with the smaller cars (my experience anyway) is that they'll hit the figures no problem on the urban cycle, but take them out on the motorway and the fuel consumption flies up at motorway speeds. So it may be that these cars are not hitting the manufacturer's published figures in that segment and maybe the mixed as well.

Id love something like that but way out of my league financially

Did U move to another hybrid?

Youre v right ref motorway driving at speed and MPG suffering

Only way is to put it into cruise at 80/90 KM per hour and grin and bear it,

Annoying tbh but no choice ,and as I drive to a lot of away CCFC matches ( due to the fact my son hasn't got his test yet 🙄)

It can be expensive

• Advertisement

Tbank you, great information,

At an age that I'm hopefully winding down ref my decorating days,but still need a car that'll give me decent MPG

Yaris hybrid you mentioned 2.5 ltr hybrid might be one to look at in a few years

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

If an EV driver done that on the motorway, they would be lambasted!

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Gerrymandering reborn

Do people not realize that an EV not reaching its advertised range is a MUCH bigger problem than an ICE car not reaching its range?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

In both cases they can achieve the stated range. You just have to adjust your driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 shimadzu

The Yaris is a 1.5Ltr Hybrid, the Rav 4 is the 2.5 Ltr PHEV, there is a newer version of the Yaris that is more economical than the one we have. The Yaris is a great city car but not ideal for long journeys, we are looking at the Yaris cross as a second car the next time round as its a bit bigger and higher up. An EV is going to be cheaper to run but the hybrid is a lot more convenient.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭SharkMX

My latest EV consumes at least 35% more fuel than advertised too. It also manages to "spill" about 10% of the fuel while fueling it up too. Fuel efficiency has always been a lie.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

The WLTP cycle has problems, that's why this mechanism for in-fleet data reporting was implemented. The biggest impact is on in the PHEV space where the idealised usage in the testing cycle has been blown away by monitoring.

I think it's logical for real world monitoring to feedback, I'd much rather see an EV advertised with an accurate range instead of the current aspirational one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭SharkMX

I think all of us would like to see truthful figures for fuel economy. They cant even be honest about that. But as usual, find out whoever commissions a study and it tells you everything you need to know about the results.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

It's an analysis of real-world data that's now reportable due to current emission regulations. Data will be reported every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭sh81722

Because it will cost €2/100 km instead of advertised €1.50?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,551 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Absolutely. Rolling into a fossil fuel station after 10pm and finding it closed. Big problem. Thank God charging points are more accessible.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Cupoftea3000

If you drive a Mazda 3, 6 or CX-5 with the Skyactiv 2.2 diesel you are almost guaranteed to get less mpg than advertised. The constant build up of carbon deposits in this engine restricts airflow and causes blockages everywhere.

Mazda knows it as they are doing carbon cleans constantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

That's mad Ted! If I was ever going to go PHEV, I would be keeping this in mind for sure. Awful real world figures and much worse than I thought. They really are the worst of both worlds.

Stay Free

Used properly they have a place, I think the data shows that most drivers aren't using them properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

please don't go phev.

I find it funny that the real emissions on the phev are better or on a par with the petrol or diesel cars wltp , I would like to see the results with the latest crop of 18 kwh+ phevs, anyway it could be skewed by BIK drivers, cheaper to drive than to actually use properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Nickindublin

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Good then it's not an EV owners job to convince anyone of the merits or otherwise of owning an EV.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Nickindublin

Most ice cars dont come near their claimed MPG. Most EV dont get near the range the claim. This is to many differnet factors. For the Joe Soap driver the biggest issue between them is the convience of refueling against charging especially if you dont have a home charger and need to use a public charger. Until everyone can charge at home charging prices driveway or not EV ownership will not take off. So if the Governemnt want to have an EV only new car sales from 2030 they are going to have to approve individual chargers for apartment owners and arm style chargers for houses with no driveways along with a proper nationwide public charging system. That will end range anxiety. Its then upto EV manufacturers to price their cars competitively and with battery development i see minimum 500km range for all cars in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,289 ✭✭✭✭elperello

The same metric doesn't apply to both.

Especially in the lower price range where you can get an ICE car for <5k that will have a range of 700-800 Kms.

Obviously range is not an issue there.

You can buy an EV for<5k too that will knock the socks off the ICE for running costs but won't have the range.

Matter of choice.

• Advertisement

There are no longer plans to prevent sales of new combustion cars from 2030 onwards. The planned end of sales of cars with any tailpipe emissions is from 2035. 11 years is a long time to roll out solutions that have already been tested in jurisdictions that are further ahead on the transition curve.

Advertisement