Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

EU Study finds ICE vehicles consume 20% more fuel than advertised

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,610 ✭✭✭creedp

In other news people display an extraordinary ability to do stupid things all the time. Running out of fuel hardly scratches the surface.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,597 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

In other news watch how people do a u-turn on what constitutes a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,026 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

ICE cars have a infrastructure that's taken 100yrs to get where it is. Modern EVs have been around a fraction of that time. It's doing pretty well considering..

And this is the problem I have with the policies of many western governments.

Throw over 100 years of innovation in the bin in favour of tech that's only been mainstream a couple of decades at most.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,280 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

We tend not to use leaches as part of Western medicine anymore either since better options have come around.

Stay Free

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Nobodies throwing it in the bin. It’s a fuel choice. Quit being snowflakes and moaning. Make the choice based on your requirements, not what strangers say in the internet.

Very funny, both of you.

But why the need to ban the sale of new ICEs in 2030 and not let it die out naturally ?

The tech in ICEs has come on leaps and bounds over it's lifetime.

They becomes far less "dirty" all the time.

Rather than ban the ICE let the EV develop so that it and the charging tech can be a better option than an ICE, then the ICE will disappear.

No one banned the use of leeches, palm pilots or faxes, they were all superseded by innovation.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I don’t believe the 2030 ban is happening? That’s a sign of the level of information among the people scared to change.

Has Boilers are being banned, they are already designed out of new builds and no longer attract any SEAI retrofit funding.

Things move on. Nokia to Apple. I remember people afraid to make that change.

I had this crap back in 2011 when I wanted to install a heatpump in a new build. The building regs actually penalised me for doing so because of the dirty grid supplying the electricity and transmission losses. I could have gone with their advice and installed an oil boiler but decided to suck it up and install my preference even though it cost me over €6k more to install. I have to laugh at the SEAI now falling over themselves to throw money at people to replace those clean boilers with heatpumps Forward thinking stuff indeed.

In other words don't always be a slave to the system, do your research and go with your preference. Despite a lot of rhetoric, the world won't end

• Advertisement

Try get your Windows98 on the company network.

With dieselgate and all the dpf deletes it's questionable how many ICE are actually legal. There's a minority of cars that are compliant with the latest emission standards.

Once again, nobody banned or restricted the use of Nokia phones, Apple and Samsung just took over with better/different/more desirable products.

Generally people are not afraid to change, but what they don't like is being forced to change and the change costing them more.

I too am not sure if the ban on the sale of new ICEs will come in in 2030, but what might happen instead is that ICE drivers, both new and old will be increasingly penalized for driving ICEs.

Essentially you will be penalizing the people who can't afford EVs for not being able to afford EVs.

Hopefully I'm wrong and that by 2030 there will be a well established second hand EV market and that ICE ownership will come to a natural end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

Some general info, Leech therapy was classified by the US Food and Drug Administration as a medical device in 2004.

There used for attaching bits back to a person, blood vessels take time to heal, so stick an aul leech on and it sucks the blood out till the finger or whatever is connected back up to the pump.

My last understanding of the ICE sale ban is that it's 2035. I'm on the fence with a ban, but my rational mind suspects the reason for the threat of the ban was to get manufacturers to get going with non-ICE alternatives, such as EVs. Sometimes innovation requires a shock to the system and if manufacturers can't sell ICE vehicles in a decade, then they will produce alternatives and people will buy the alternatives and these then filter down to the used market and in 20 or 30 years we will have very few ICE vehicles in our towns and cities.

I have 2 kids with Asthma. I live in the suburbs beside a main road. The difference in their breathing is very noticeable on the days the smoke lingers around the pathways.

People can't be trusted with tech that makes their ICE cleaner. Look at all the people who install a CAT or DPF just for the NCT. Manufacturers can't be trusted either with these things. Think Diesel gate.

Stay Free

And ICE vehicles will be the leaches of the car world in a few decades. Occasional use for specific purposes, such as nostalgia meet ups for old dudes needing limbs re-attached.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 10,877 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I was just thinking about this today when I was out driving

I had to drive about 15km each was on the M1 today

I got stuck behind cars doing around 90km/h no less than 12 times in total

Not trucks or buses which are speed limited, but cars. No rain or anything else impeding driving conditions

Just slow, slow driving on a motorway. One lad was trying to light a cigarette with both hands, I guess that would be trickier at 120km/h 🫣

Anyone want to guess how many were Leafs, or EVs in general?

Not a single one, all ICE cars of varying types and ages

Is this the latest solution to save fuel or stop the engine from exploding?

I don't like sitting in the fast lane, as long as someone is doing over 110km/h in the slow lane then I'm fine keeping a respectable distance behind them

But if you're doing under 100km/h then you'd probably be better off on the N roads

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

The speed limit is a limit not a target. People are not obliged to drive at the limit. Many people don't like driving at the limit. That's the main reason people aren't at the limit. Nothing wrong with People driving at 90.

"...The limit for vehicles towing a trailer is 80km per hour, for HGVs it's 90km per hour, and for buses it's 100km per hour..."

You're also using vastly more fuel at 120 than 100 or 80. Though I think only a small % people know that, and drive slower to drive fuel. EV drivers might be more aware of it.

I know if I sit at 120 there will still be people driving much faster. So they must think 120 is slow.

Vehicles which can't meet or exceed 80kmh are not allowed on the motorway. It's considered dangerous driving to drive below the general flow of traffic. Driving at 80 is dangerous when overtaking vehicles are doing 110-120 and every other vehicle has to overtake you because you are crawling along. If one is not comfortable to drive at motorway speeds, they shouldn't be on the motorway. Anything under 100 on a clear day with good conditions is dangerous.

Stay Free

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭denismc

You hear a lot of people say that EVs are not useful for people in the country.

I grew up in West Cork in the 80s and every village had at least one filling station , that is no longer the case, many of them closed because they just weren't viable.

I leave for work just after 6am and I pass 3 filling stations and they are all closed because they don't open until 7 or 8.

There are very few 24 hour stations outside of cities and big towns which makes filling up a lot less convenient for people who don't work 9-5.

It's just easier to catch those going too fast. I've only ever heard of one person (aside from myself) being pulled over for going too slow. I was doing about 90 on the M50 North, nearing the R139 straight exit, right lane. I was travelling behind another car matching their speed and I was pulled over. I knew I wasn't speeding. I hadn't been driving dangerously, carelessly or anything else. Too slow I was going "in the fast lane" the Gard said 😂. Explained I was taking the final exit to R139 and I was travelling behind the other car. To go faster, i'd have to undertake the other car. Explained the whole journey was on dashcam and that was the end of it.

Stay Free

Not allowed on the motorway isn't the same thing as minimum speed limit. There is no minimum speed limit on the motorway and as I quoted some vehicles have legal maximums which are below the speed limit and they are allowed on motorways.

What's dangerous is not knowing this.

If people are doing 120 in the overtaking lane what speed are they doing in the other lanes. If they all doing 120 no one is overtaking. They certainly aren't all doing 120 in the first lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I'm not necessarily anti ev but multiple tonne electric SUVs make me recoil. There's nothing green about those f""king things rolling about suburban Dublin.

We used to have an early start and fill up the night before. Eventually we had a diesel tank at home specifically for this.

Theres a deja vu in doing the same thing in an EV.

Want to be some gombeen of Garda for that to happen.

Except for local air quality and they may have been charged by solar or wind. But otherwise it's a bit absurd.

What do you think would happen if you drove up the M1 at 30kph in a Passat?

While there is no official lower limit, you can be charged for driving without due care and attention if you are not driving at a speed suitable for the road and weather conditions. There is a reason 50cc mopeds and tractors that can't reach 50km/h aren't allowed on the motorway….they're too feckin slow!

Stay Free

Fact remains you can legally drive under the speed limit. People shouldn't be surprised by this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,877 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Yes, true it isn't always appropriate to drive at the speed limit

My point was more about people moaning about EVs driving slow to conserve energy when it's apparently permissable for ICE cars to do exactly that

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Advertisement