Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby boom generation starting to retire in or around 2030

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,150 ✭✭✭✭looksee

the problem with this is people only talk about it, never do anything about it

why not start a business where you go off build a load of retirement villages for old people

Goodness, what a brilliant idea. (eyeroll)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,096 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

But Ireland did not experience a baby boom in this period. The population fell.

So when you talk about an accepted convention, have you ever tried to look into Irish history and question accepted conventions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭fuzzy dunlop

There is this determination to copy and paste every batsh!t crazy idea from the USA and apply it to Ireland. We are a different country despite what some of our commentariat think and we should act accordingly.

There is no such thing as an Irish boomer. That equivalent generation in Ireland had it extremely tough.

A huge part of the countries housing stock in the 80s was not fit for habitation by today's standards. I am a generation X (so called) and the house we lived in for a year after I was born had the jacks out in the back. Even in the Uk this was the situation in about 10% of rental housing stock up until 1970. I had friends whose families were renting dilapidated house not just from landlords but from the corporations as the urban local authorities were called then. We were then housed in a new housing development in the mid seventies which was grand but you then had to navigate the fact that your address might put employers off because of prejudice.

I managed to buy my own place in 2006 in the commuter belt which lost 60% of its value two years later. I am mortgaged until my early seventies.

I find it grotesque that these type of discussions seem to want to justify some scenario where the middle aged and older people are taxed heavily in order provide some sort of safety blanket for I dunno (so called zoomers?)

Call me a conspiracy theorist if you want but I can't help but think that the euthanasia discussions that are frequently popping up now are another extension to this.

https://www.rte.ie/archives/exhibitions/894-house-and-home/139167-housing-in-dublin/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,096 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Complaining about boomer title but then saying you're Generation X.

What happened to saying I'm in my 40s or I'm in my 50s.

I didn't just say I was generation x. At least have the courtesy of reading the 'so called' which qualified it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭yagan

Looking back on demographic pyramid charts for the US and Ireland it does seem like there are correlations, like in 1970 around 45% of the population of the USA was under the age 25 but twenty years later in 1990 that had decreased to around 35%.

Ireland was around 45% under the age 25 in 1990 and like the US was down around 35% too twenty years later in 2010.

I don't think using the US boomer dynamic as a starting point for discussing Irish demographics is helpful, I think we have a very different economy to the boomer economy of the US in the 1970s.

Having said that the post WWII population boom did produce family sizes that were the exception rather the norm when matched against longer trends. The industrial nations saw a massive upswing in the 19th century to the point where by 1900 a quarter of humanity lived in Europe, whereas now I believe that figure is around 8 or 9% and falling.

Basically the demographic dynamics of one economy does not necessarily match every other situation as there can be many moving parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭SharkMX

Ive a better idea. How about instead of asking a randomer on the internet to start a complex business, we tax inheritance say 50 to 75% and use that money collected to get in an expert company to create these villages for pensioners.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭SharkMX

Yes, tax the inheritors who do nothing to get the money, not the people who put their blood, sweat and tears into building their worldly possessions. Leave the people be who earned it, let them enjoy it and take it off those who had it left to them where the expectation of it just makes them demanding and lazy.

The problem is you can't simply tax the inheritors. In a lot of cases 'inheritors' have an arrangement where they inherit in exchange for providing care. This is very common. So there has to be a sliding scale of some description.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,220 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

not sure where you are getting your terminology from but the baby boomers in conventional lingo ended in 1964z. It is Gen-X which will begin to retired in substantial numbers by 2030 when the youngest will be 66.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,990 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Well, OK. I think people are getting hung up on the labelling. However, the main point of the OP is that people retiring in the next 10 years or less will be "looming burden on society in terms of state and public service pensions" and "It's also a generation that has accumulated a lot of wealth so will younger people who will be running the country be resentful paying for this generation and will we see calls to tax them (or cut benefits) and get them to help finance their own golden years?"

When I stated that I will have paid tax for 45 years (40 at higher rate), paid into private/company pension for 35 and AVS for 20, I was labelled A self-entitled whiner.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

All you need to do is run for td using that as your cornerstone, then build up a party to a point where you can get it done

Oh wait

You go on about lazy inheritors but here you are too lazy to sort it yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

• Registered Users Posts: 18,986 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

The fact is people are forced to choose to have less/no kids because they can't afford it. End of. It has fuck all to do with "progressives", or women in a career, or abortions.

Things have gotten so far out of control with regards to what things cost these days, that the basic life expectations of the past have become unattainable luxuries of today. Something like a basic home, or having a couple of children aren't open to lots of people, because they don't have the money for those luxuries, sometimes even if both partners are working.

People are hocking themselves into debt until they're OAP's just to buy a modest 3 up 2 down that probably only cost about 10 grand to build originally, because the price of housing is absolutely absurd. They often don't have the financial capacity to add a kid into that mix. Having a child is expensive. It isn't something that comes cost free.

People are thinking twice, and rightly so, about having kids because of the money factor and "encouraging" people to become parents is going to take a whole new approach to how we handle economics. Many people are starting to wake up to the disaster that right wing/neo-liberal, laissez faire, attitudes to markets have had on their lives.

It's those attitudes that have us where we are today. Everything overpriced and boom'n'bust faux economies that only benefit the well off.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,220 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

have you any clue as to the level of immigration amongst 18 year olds in 1983 and subsequent years up to mid 90s?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,538 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Some people are only happy when they're post snide nonsense about "progressives", whoever they are….

What we're seeing is the pension ponzi scheme finally begin to come undone. A word where everyone was having at least three children is unsustainable and always was. The problem was masked by the fact that people would often die earlier, cheaper and quicker and so pass on their home to the next generation. Now, people are living much longer and often need expensive care to go with it.

I was raised to either save up for something if I wanted it or to learn to go without. What we're seeing is people simply acting logically. If I can't afford children and the misery accompanying them, why would I bother? I can barely afford to rent my bedroom and all the boomers can do is sneer at me for eating avocadoes without taking the time to learn that I do not eat avocadoes.

At least we know that older doesn't mean wiser so there's that…

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

All of these terms, Baby Boom, Generation X…whatever, are American marketing terms.

They don't, and shouldn't be allowed, to apply here.

this is not really true, this has being going on for decades in countries where housing hasn't been an issue and the same with cost of living

Many women don't want to go through having the numbers of kids needed to keep the birth rate high now they have a choice in the matter and they did not before

they want to have lives outside the home, jobs, financial independence

its easy out being a dad of 12 1950s but not a mom of 12

Ruling out accidents, it's money that's the deciding factor on whether people have a kid or not, or at least whether leave it til later in life to knock one out. It's also the factor that limits the amount of children that a couple will have.

Women having jobs aren't to blame.

In fact, for most people, both persons working is essential to even being able just to afford a mortgage, never mind having a child.

• Advertisement

You are incorrect

In fact back in the day the people having lots of kids were the ones least placed to afford them

It's the same now, people who cpuld have as many kids as they want weirdly choose not to

"Back in the day" we were all rather a bit thick when it came to family planning. 😉

Sex ed has come a long way.

No to have sex meant kids

And the person who had the kids often didn't get that much choice

So of course housing is any issue across the board, but it's not the primary factor it's social

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,538 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

They weirdly choose not to be saddled with expensive burdens that they can't afford?

Post edited by ancapailldorcha on

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

They can afford them, I think you missed the point

And even though you might see yourself as an expensive burden I assure you yer mammy did not

It's gas isn't it?

Being financially prudent, and having a kid is as much a financial decision these days as many other things, is now somehow "weird".

Frankly, thank christ we don't still have Mick and Mary, who've no idea what contraception is, knocking out 10 kids and not being able to look after them properly in their 3 bedroom house. There's nothing wrong with those days being a thing of the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,892 ✭✭✭✭anewme

1987 snap!

Leaving college, permanent job by 19 and mouse in a wheel since then:

Don’t think I will last another 5 years working for the man, it’s already impacting my health and I want to enjoy life having paid my dues.

And let there be no mistake, anyone contributing 40 plus years is well owed their state pension.

Let me guess you are childless for financial reasons 😬

• Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭yagan

I come from a typical family of the 60s, 70s, 7 people sharing a 3 bed, 1 bathroom house.

My mum legally had to give up her job when the first one came along, so there wasn't anything to do except have kids.

We never had a holiday, except an attempt at camping which was aborted because of typical Irish weather.

That was the norm then so no one felt they were any better off.

• Advertisement

What evidence do you have that they can afford them? Let's see some actual proof instead of your snide comments.

I remember when your conservative types used to public obsess about the "family unit". Who knew that they were planning to ruin it all along? It's what they accused their opponents of doing. You can see similar attitudes in this thread. There's no problem, it's just that people hate children or don't care. It couldn't be that the cost of mere existence is the highest in living memory.

H. H. Asquith

Advertisement