Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby boom generation starting to retire in or around 2030

Options
  • 13-04-2024 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭

In less than 10 years we will see a dramatic increase in the number of people retiring which is something I do not think is discussed enough. I assume government agencies are aware of this looming burden on society in terms of state and public service pensions as well as a giant number of people starting to get older at the same time and its strain on health care. It's not uniquely an Irish issue as the USA and the UK have similar birth trends from this time. It's also a generation that has accumulated a lot of wealth so will younger people who will be running the country be resentful paying for this generation and will we see calls to tax them (or cut benefits) and get them to help finance their own golden years?

Are we ready as surely this is a crisis that we are walking into which will last at least 20+ years as that generation grows old and eventually dies? Or maybe it will be ok and I should not be worried about this?!

What are your thoughts on this? I think it is a future pending economic and societal problem in the making as we need to start planning for it asap.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,679 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

It's known and recognised in vague terms at Government/policy level yes (hence the slow start of what will be ongoing tax increases in the last budget), but politics in Ireland rarely looks more than maybe a year ahead (if even that), and the last year of term is all about trying to deflect from the failures and distract the electorate with bribes in the previous budget using our own money to do it!

The theory/hope/argument given is that immigration will solve it just as how younger generations have paid for the previous generation in the past. The problem though (as we saw in the immediate aftermath of the financial crisis), is that many immigrants will just go home/elsewhere when times get tough. To be fair to them, they came here for economic reasons not because they wanted to be Irish so it's understandable to a point.

There's also the other types of immigrants who are here under false pretenses or who don't have the skills to contribute without extensive (expensive) training and integration efforts first. These also tend to work in the service industry which is usually the first to go when the hard times hit.

The underlying problem is that we've made it incredibly hard for the average/middle class person to put down roots and long term plans. Many of them are paying a fortune in rent with limited opportunities to get out of that, others are stuck at home hoping they'll be able to move into their own home at some point but which is becoming increasingly harder too because of the pressure on supply from the migrant groups above as well as increasing homelessness and low pay workers in our own population. Because the Government and local authorities haven't been building, they're instead buying/renting private sector accommodation for social housing instead.

There's also the issue of our overreliance on FDI service companies and multinationals that are providing things that can be done from pretty much anywhere these days. Tax changes, international pressures from our "friends" in the EU, and growing discontent about this situation in the US (where many of these companies hail from) only add to the inevitable conclusion that when the end of this particular gravy train is reached, it won't be pretty for Ireland!

But back to the politicians who ultimately don't care because by the time they finally leave office they'll probably be millionaires themselves and setup for life with connections, board memberships or EU careers to "get them through it".

It'll be the ordinary Irish citizen who pays the price for this shortsightedness and lack of preparation... But then, hasn't it always been so!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,473 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

We need to encourage families and for those families to have more children - that's the reality. We aren't the only ones facing a demographic emergency that will have serious consequences on the living standards for everyone.

When you look at the last 30 to 40 years serious shortsighted mistakes have been made here and elsewhere. "Progressive" causes may have been trendy at the time but a cold examination of the impact that is now coming through is, and was always going to be, less children.

Whether it's women encouraged to focus solely on careers instead of raring children or even abortion and everything in between it all has one outcome that was rarely mentioned when these societal changes occurred.

Then you have the economic factors which are also acting against having a family of 2 or more children or even a family at all. There is an ever increasing number of childless couples.

It all looks grim really without radical changes to quickly encourage at the very least replacement level family sizes.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭thegame983

There could be some serious civil strife.

A generation of renters are going to have their taxes increased to pay for the pensions of a generation of homeowners.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

the way some go in you would swear only renters pay tax on this country

• Registered Users Posts: 25,688 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

OP I think your maths is a bit out: baby-boomers are now in their 70s, and already retired.

I'm at the very start of Gen-X, and due to retire in about 10 years.

And yes, the pension deficit is a concern.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Theres a big negative feedback loop in progress here related to house prices, wealth and working young couples having children and there's not going to be any easy way to stop it..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

When I said baby boomers I was wrongly referring to the giant baby boom folks born in late 60s and early 70s. What that generation is officially called I do not know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

Boomers: 1946–1964

Gen X: 1965–1976

Millennials: 1977–1995

Gen Z: 1996–2015

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

According to Google 😂🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 6,530 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

I think immigration and increased number of children don't really address the problem properly, especially in a climate crisis. Immigration robs people from other countries and tells them to **** their own pensions issue, and moving people further apart doesn't help increasing carbon levels (it leads to increased air travel, which is problematic). Increasing the birth rate much beyond 2.1 is also unsustainable. Ultimately both solutions involve an ever-increasing population, which is a short-term solution but can't go on forever.

I think the main thing to address this is people need to realise that when pensions came in, if you got to 65 at all, you only had another 5 years or so ahead of you. Yet here we are with expected life spans of 80+ and we still think we can retire at 65? The pensions age has to increase to 70 if not higher - yet when that was mooted in the Dáil, there was serious kickback and a bit of a compromise came in (pensions at 66, but a few quid extra if you hold off until 70), which hasn't really helped much.

We need to step back and acknowledge the bigger picture. We need to keep population stable (for sustainability reasons), and that means there's only whatever - 50% of the population working, 20% studying/in school and 30% retired and claiming the pension. If the maths on that don't work out, then you have to increase the working population and reduce the retired population. Only way of doing that is to increase the pension age.

Unfortunately as a species we're not usually any good at acknowledging how privileged we are with what we have, and accepting that sometimes we need to cut back.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Sunjava

Hungary has a model in place to combat the childbirth issue, zero effort is being made here, just tax more and import more...IVF clinics out the door with desperate people couples straddling 40

• Registered Users Posts: 10,274 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Those most comfortable having children these days are opposites in ways. You need to be either comfortably upper middle class professional class, financially sound and homeowner etc. Or on the social welfare system, more children there yields more income and moving up public housing lists etc. Both are logical lifestyle choices.

Those in the middle, the majority?, will struggle to pay their way, house themselves and have children.

Who ever thought this is a good idea? But it seems to be baked in now.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Yep pretty much, they started around 2011 and will be completed around 2029!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

You are about 10 years too late…. And you seem to have missed out on the countless discussion papers and research notes as well come out of Europe, plus the general consensus among EU states to move to the three pillar pension system plus Ireland moving to tale the first step with auto enrollment…..

Oh the concerns relating pension funds massive rebalancing coupled with the corporate bond restructuring has pretty much been completed as well.

Maybe do some actual research….

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Get Real

I think Ireland has the opportunity to be ahead on this if it (we, the electorate when those knocks on doors come) really want(s) to be.

Currently, we're actually way ahead. We're still a relatively young population and ratio wise, we've 30 years to go until we get to the type of working person/OAP ratio that Spain and France have right now.

Also, France spends about 15% of it's GDP on pension current expenditure. We spend 4.2%

I think the auto-enrollment is a good step towards building something long term for ourselves. I think we can further work on that by increasing incentives and pushing more AVC take-up. Also, perhaps a state scheme for everyone, private and public sector, that you can pay extra into.

I find it funny politicians and so on using the "we'll need to look at pensions in future" and so on when we have the ability to change that now.

They're using figures for France and Spain yet we won't reach those til 2050. Which is why I'm surprised they don't put more effort into doing something NOW.

Not to say we should be complacent on the issue. But... we are actually very fortunate at the moment. We're way behind where other EU countries are in terms of working person to oap ratio and our spend on pensions as a proportion of gdp.

So if we implemented something properly now along with an awareness campaign, it could take the sting out massively.

Dependency ratio figures:

https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/web/products-eurostat-news/-/edn-20210930-1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

How wonderful it is to be classified as a "burden on society" after, so far, having worked and paid taxes for 25 years. Almost 20 at higher rate of tax and another 13 or so left on high rate of tax. After paying into a personal pension so far for over 25 years and will continue again to pay into pension.

Wonderful. Thank you for your compassion

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,215 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It's the logical consequence of turning former basics such as homes and secure jobs into luxuries only for the well off. The question isn't why people aren't having children, it's why anyone bothers with it at all.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Because many of us find somebody who we love and with whom we want to start a family. Because many of us value family life and the multiplicity of ways in which our lives have been enriched, albeit not financially, by our children. Just small details like that really..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

I am the OP and never said this generation would be a burden. I asked if the future younger generation in years to come might think this as they are then ones who would be paying for these pensions and elderly care.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭scottser

I'll be retiring in about 10 years time. Did my LC in 1987. Unemployment was savage back then and we were told that if you're not in a permanent job by the time you were 20, you were fucked. Thats of course if AIDS or a nuclear strike didn't **** you first.

After a lifetime paying tax, I'm going to live till I'm a hundred, so **** all yall gen z, non-tax paying, multinational cuntz. Suck it up and pay my old grumpy ass!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

This is such a dumb thread, the baby boom in Ireland was 1980

There are more 45 year old than anyone else

Then you have people who think the world only exists in the states

Baby boomers gen x mean nowt here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

They certainly have a mass media push at the moment on investing in pensions, been going on a few years but really noticeable now, maybe I am getting to that age that the algrothiums want to hit but any social media platform I seem to get ads

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭nachouser

wtf?

"Whether it's women encouraged to focus solely on careers instead of raring children or even abortion and everything in between it all has one outcome that was rarely mentioned when these societal changes occurred."

You know what, I work 50+ hours a week. Have been paying taxes since I was 20. Was unemployed for a year. Got minimal dole because I received redundancy. Spent it on upskilling to get back into the workforce ASAP. By the time I retire I will have paid taxes for 45 years. Again, by the time I retire, paid personal/company pension for 35 years with AVCs for about 20.

I paid for my pension!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Thankfully we have a history of far-seeing ministers for Health who have made sure our increasing pool of older people will be very well cared for each winter as illnesses inevitably strike.

In UHL you are quite likely to get a bed within a week at many times of the year. That’s all because of the genius move to close down THREE a&e units in the region 15 years ago. What a country.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

"I paid for my pension" - your own personal one? Maybe so. And that's fine. Everyone should do so. Statutory pensions coming down the line sound like a good thing

Your State pension? No - you paid for pensioners' pensions. Pensions are a pyramid scheme.

This sort of self-entitled whining without addressing the basic maths behind pensions (have your PRSI contributions even matched what you can expect to draw down from the State over retirement? And cover the cost of administering the system in general?) is what has societies in trouble.

Self entitled whining… burden on society…

• Registered Users Posts: 12,411 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

If the baby boom was 1980, then surely there'd be more 43/44 year olds than anything else?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,215 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Baby boomers are those born between 1946-1964.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Advertisement