Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The crusade against the motorist continues...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,509 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

If by "of your side" and "If your side".. You mean everyone else in Ireland part from you then I can see how you begin to make some sense..

Otherwise I'm just replying to the same tired old rant you post in every single "Motorist Vs. Cyclist" thread on boards.ie

Would get more logic and sense out of a stick than replying to a repetitive old rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,597 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Wasting your time. Same skewed rant over and over and over.

But massive progress on the quays and this is another massive change. Certainly painful for many. Be interesting if it survives the election.

Yeap sure is, same old broken record arguments on all the threads like this.. That and their colleague the Walter Mitty woman..

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭maisie45

can you not accept the point he is making with being insulting.

Its a good point, you dont want to use the cycling infrastructure that is costing millions and is taking space from pedestrians and motorists.

And the reason is you want to cycle at s speed that suits you and if motorists are stuck in traffic, well thats tough.

If the motorist gets so frustrated they go into a buslane then you want cameras everywhere to fine them.

You sound so incredibly selfish.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭SeanW

So literally everyone in Ireland except me blames all 3.3 million drivers collectively for all fatalities that occur on the roads, regardless of cause.

Evidence? That is quite a wild claim, if I understand it correctly.

• Advertisement

Motorists have 100% of the roads for 100 yrs.

Someone wants 5% of it for buses and cyclists. They are being selfish.

"the motorist gets so frustrated they go into a buslane"

If caught by the Gardai then its: "Failure to comply with traffic lane markings", which can incur one penalty point on payment or three upon conviction in court. Drivers may be issued a fine that amounts to €60 if paid within 28 days or €90 if paid within the next 28 days."

Bus lane cameras would ensure drivers are fined for breaking the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

I'm not omitting that factor. It's the very factor that's crucial and central to the point I'm making.

Cyclists with that choice will almost invariably choose the option which allows them to continue at their desired speed but requires other people to slow down, rather than choosing the option where they'd have to slow down themselves.

You agree with me, and your posts show you're living proof of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

And likewise, I'm not complaining about having to slow down to accommodate other people using the shared space I'm using myself while driving. I'm quite prepared to do so.

I'm simply pointing out that generally speaking, cyclists aren't prepared to use a shared space where they're the ones who'd have to slow down.

• Advertisement

Cyclists are slowed by pedestrians on shared paths, slow cyclists in cycle lanes, and in congestion they are slowed down by cars on roads. A bicycle is often faster than a car.

"...As far out as Tallaght, a commuter could save almost 30 minutes traveling into the city by bike compared with by car or by public transport...."

Generally speaking of course...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

No it's not. My requirement of someone who is passing me is that they legally pass me without putting me in danger - something far too many drivers seem incapable of doing. The problem also often is that where this infrastructure does exist (poor as it is) people are driving way over the speed limit

• Registered Users Posts: 28,424 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Sure you dont want to use the driving infrastructure that is costing millions and is taking space from pedestrians and cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭tommythecat

Just replacing "cyclists" with People. We are just people using different modes of transport at different times.

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

So you're a representative of all cyclists in Ireland then?

Generally speaking you don't have a clue what you're on about..

"Cyclists with that choice will almost invariably choose the option which allows them to continue at their desired speed but requires other people to slow down, rather than choosing the option where they'd have to slow down themselves."

"generally speaking, cyclists aren't prepared to use a shared space where they're the ones who'd have to slow down."

That's lost on some the posters on here.. Just look at the sort of language they use:

"…… of your side to assume ……If your side is going to "

• Registered Users Posts: 23,822 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

• Registered Users Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭elperello

that there is generally universal support for 20mph being targeted in areas where there are schools, built-up areas like housing estates, and outside hospitals and so-forth, but in many areas routes that shouldn’t have been included, were.

Seems like a sensible approach to get local buy-in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭SeanW

When it comes to some aspects of road laws, there are indeed two sides:

1. Regular people who are happy to observe proportionate, evidence based rules.
    2. Those who seem to be waging some kind of holy war from their bicycle seat, using unqualified language like "motorists kill …" while demanding every more ridiculous, disproportionate rules that have no basis in road safety data (e.g. blanket 30kph speed limits).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Three things:

I picked up the new bike on Friday, managed to try the cycle lanes mentioned on the Leopardstown road to the racecourse. The cycle lanes is in shite condition, is teeth shattering and its no wonder people use the road instead. Shite infrastructure doesn't help anyone.

I drove my car from Kiltipper to East wall... Cyclists and busses weren't the problem. I was stuck in bumper to bumper traffic all the way to town. The traffic was almost entirely made up of car drivers.

On my way home I decided to pay to take the East Link... Right after the 'express route' out of the city I got caught in traffic for 30 minutes before reaching the Sandymount section... Then it was excruciating trying to get up th coast road. Cyclists were going faster than cars. That whole route needs to be converted to good quality cycle lanes.

All of this was at around midday on a Saturday...

The problem in Dublin isn't cyclists, it's car drivers... The whole place is at a standstill because of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭carfinder

That's patently untrue, given that you actually replied. What your not doing is debating - and no wonder, you appear to be out of your depth here and hence your childish reply that you won't reply. Comical stuff

I was on that Leopardstown road Saturday last week. Bumper to bumper getting across the N11 took about 20 mins. Same at NewPark. Just gridlock.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Motorists are blind to other motorists and refuse to acknowledge them as being the problem for any delays.

A busy road near my house that feeds into the Malahide Road recently had traffic lights installed on it. There has been nothing but uproar and outrage, at the traffic that has apparently been caused by these lights. However any rush hour when I'm walking by, it is blatantly obvious the lights have nothing to do with any delays, the roads are absolutely clogged with vehicles, and the delays are sole solely attributable to too many vehicles.

On this same road there is a proposal to install segregated cycle lanes, and again the local motorists are going mad and have decided this will add further delays for motorists, instead of considering the benefits of a segregated cycle way being made available to them.

If you are referring to Mountgorry then I strongly disagree with you. A very poorly thought out decision. The road carries traffic exiting off the M1 to Malahide and Swords areas in the evening and carries traffic to the M1 in the mornings. It has caused huge delays at Airside meaning traffic heading for Kinsealy get caught in the Mountgorry traffic that simply didn't get backed up before the lights were installed. The costs far outweigh the benefits on that one as the junction itself had low traffic volumes (but will increase now as a rat run alternative)

Another nonsensical redesign of the road junction on Sean Moore Road which removed a lane of traffic in favour of a segregated cycle lane with very small visible cycling traffic. A contrived pinch point negating the utility value of the Port tunnel and Eastlink toll bridge.

Junctions are being redesigned and traffic light sequences altered to reduce the flow of traffic and creating congestion rather than alleviating it. The policy appears to be one of making motoring as difficult as possible rather than optimising existing road infrastructure to keep it freeflowing in teh hope that motorists will abandon their cars in frustration. It is indeed a crusade against the motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 4,118 ✭✭✭blackbox

The problems with traffic lights sequencing are much more likely to be due to incompetence rather than a conspiracy.

All these areas were congested before they made the changes. Yes it's made it worse. Yes they are actively trying to discourage people from driving into the city centre. It's going to be painful transition. It's not going to take a long time. No idea if it will be successful. I can see they might scale it back after another review.

But you certainly can't fix congestion or improve the city centre by adding more cars.

I read they changed them to improve things for pedestrians during lockdown. Never changed them back afaik.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,445 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I drive through ballymun quite often and it does seem that the traffic light sequence is extremely short if someone has hit the pedestrian button, but normal if not.

• Advertisement

So you obviously agree with the premise of the thread. The problem is not just the city centre though and is particularly acute when brainless changes are made on arterial routes. Sean Moore Road being a case in point - charge everyone for the privilege of using the Eastlink to access South Dublin but create a needless pinchpoint just after the toll

Advertisement