Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The crusade against the motorist continues...

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

So we're agreed that the biggest conceptual issue with the traffic changes on the quays is cyclists? If it wasn't for cyclists, the idea would work?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

No, the problem is cars, get rid of them and you solves most of the issues. Bikes aren't the ones stuck in queues of traffic, cars are... It's cars blocking cars. The cycle lanes are to protect cyclists from the cars, which have proven to be erratic and dangerous in the hands of their drivers that's for highlighting that, it seems you've made the case stronger for removing cars.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

That was tongue in cheek.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,495 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

You mention the fact that "We the 3.3 million or whatever motorists" when all you can speak for is yourself, you haven't been elected as President of Motorists in Ireland have you? And it's the same argument over and over, the circular narky old man debate doesn't get you anywhere.. Same with your other colleague on here who rambles on daily with their "oh a cyclist did this.." boring.

Every road user takes responsibility for their safety and others based on a hierarchy…and the level of responsibility rises with each level …Pedestrian » Cyclist » Motorist The one at the top in charge of a multi-tonne vehicle represents the highest level of care on the roads hence why a licence and insurance is required.

The HI-Vis debate is another thread all by itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

Just to point out it was another cyclist who first used the word "inconvenienced" and my reply was that I wasn't focusing on convenience or inconvenience for anybody.

Furthermore, your first line is from the same school of thought as a motorist thinking "if I have a choice of moving quickly while squeezing past a cyclist, or slowing down significantly for an indeterminate period of time until the road ahead clears and I can leave plenty of space when passing, then I'll choose the former".

Point remains that generally speaking, main reason that cyclists choose not to use cycling infrastructure is that they're not prepared to slow down. You and others have proven that point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭tommythecat

No generally speaking the reason people don't use cycle lanes is they are either full of obstacles and drains, manholes, leaves, glass etc or have a terrible surface which makes them unusable.

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,418 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Just to be clear, cyclists don't have to give a reason for not choosing cycle lanes or choosing any particular lane. It's no one else's business.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭tommythecat

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Furthermore, your first line is from the same school of thought as a motorist thinking "if I have a choice of moving quickly while squeezing past a cyclist, or slowing down significantly for an indeterminate period of time until the road ahead clears and I can leave plenty of space when passing, then I'll choose the former".

Me having the choice on a bike to use a crappy designed /maintained cycle lane or a road is not the same as a driver deciding whether or not to put someone else in danger. How can you even think of equating the two?

Point remains that generally speaking, main reason that cyclists choose not to use cycling infrastructure is that they're not prepared to slow down. You and others have proven that point.

I never said that point - you are deliberately reading something that I didn't say. My point about speed was in relation to shared cycle lanes where it is not appropriate for a cyclist to speed past pedestrians. Shared cycle paths are not proper infrastructure. They are a cheap way of ticking a box but are not designed with the end users in mind - ever!
    I use cycling infrastructure where suitable but by and large, they're simply not suitable for much. About half of my commute uses existing infrastructure (which is generally not maintained, but I use it).
    Where I don't use the infrastructure is becasue of a likely risk of punctures or meeting pedestrians/joggers/dog walkers (on a narrow path) or because I'd have to cede priority several times - it can be far too much hassle to use them.
    On one 200m section, the cycle infrastructure us more often than not used as a parking spot for small and large vehicles (trucks and artics) and I also have to yield to a two petrol station entrances and a private entrance. The cycle lane also drops me out at a roundabout on the wrong side of the road.
    If I look at the petrol station on Streetview, I can see an artic sitting blocking the cycling infrastructure…
    https://www.google.com/maps/@53.318193,-6.4374721,3a,75y,141.15h,74.78t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1spu0syx2bzxFy3ZBSiOlo6A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?entry=ttu

Isn't it amusing how a thread on how motorists are feeling opressed because some bus gates on Bachelor's Walk and Aston Quay soon becomes a discussion on why cyclists don't use cycle lanes? 🙄

• Advertisement

Thread title definitely needs to be changed here! :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭maisie45

claiming that motorists are “killing “ other road users without having toxiology reports of pedestrians involved in accidents isnt constructive debate either.

I left bridge class in the dark yesterday, started the engine and young teen completely dressed in black with hood up appears out of nowhere, no lights of course, wouldnt you think his parents would screw some on or even put reflective tape on his mudguards.

Another idiot no lights again sailed through red lights, he had a childs seat on the back of his bike, how hard is it to put lights on a bike or wear s high vis especially when your children are young.

But, no, a bit of personal responsibility is too onerous for many cyclists, its all gimme, gimme.

oh, I did do something, I slowed down until he was on the road, knew exactly what he was going to do and I dont want a claim on my insurance.

Nobody at all has condoned the lack of lights on bikes so not sure why you think they're the gotchas you seem to think they are.
    However, you did see them both! You saw enough to know the first one was a teen and had his hood up and that his bike had mudguards. You noticed that the second had a childs seat. You saw plenty of detail and yet are trying to suggest that they are invisible to other road users

edit: typos

Post edited by Seth Brundle on

why would I ise the M50 to go to Westwood, Foxrock from Blackrock????

• Registered Users Posts: 11,585 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

That's just normal driving. It's what you're expected, obliged to do. Might have been a kid running out. The priory isn't your insurance, it's the other human.

No different to other road users who ignore the rules.

Try getting a kid to wear a jacket on child rainy day. You're fighting human nature.

The Garda should enforce the rules. Which is lights. It's that simple.

Like the way the thread just ignores the thread title to deflect about cyclists.

No it's ok, I think I may delete my account here or sell the laptop.. probably easier than humouring your idea of having push-buggies on cycle paths 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

We agree that it's inappropriate for cyclists to speed past pedestrians in shared spaces.

Point remains that rather than using such spaces and simply slowing down to account for pedestrians, cyclists will instead choose the roadway, where motorists must slow down for them. Therefore, they expect others to do something which they are not prepared to do themselves.

You may not wish to accept this point, but your posts have actually proven it.

Your response shows an almost total lack of knowledge on the matter to which you are commenting on, so is pretty much just blather…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

Your logic is flawed; you're claiming that a cyclist choosing to cycle on the road is evidence that they are unwilling to slow down for pedestrians. It isn't.

To leave the road clear for those cyclists that need to use it obviously. What's the point of us paying for and building motorways if motorists won't bloody use them?

You seem to get very stressed around cyclists so surely you would be more comfortable keeping away from them?

Post edited by AndrewJRenko on

You are omitting one crucial factor: people on a bicycle have a choice of travelling slowly and not endangering other shared path/cycle lane users (and also not having to cede priority, etc) or travelling at a quicker pace on the road - this choice is enshrined in law.
    People driving simply don't have that choice. People in cars must not endanger others and so your "point" is pretty much non-existent!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Needmoretea

You did the right thing - sometimes its hard to tell what someone is going to do or which way they will turn. There are so many of us on the roads, we all just need to be a bit patient and tolerant with each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

You seem to be having a lot of near misses.

Must be bad luck or something because I could never claim to have such eventful driving in years which you seemed to have in the space of a few days

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Gary_dunne

Don't forget everyone they seem to know gets violently attacked in town and that everyone would be safer with more cars around them not actually other people.

Unluckiest person in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

I seem to be very lucky, I can use public transport and it works, bus arrives, train arrives, luas arrives on time, can get on/off….etc etc….even in the rain

I am able to walk around the city centre every week without seeing this mass of zombies I keep hearing about, haven't been robbed or beat up in the thousands of times I have gone into city centre

I also seem to be able to cycle and drive on the road without the majority of issues people seem to have nearly daily.

Pure luck

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭SeanW

It's a bit presumptuous of your side to assume that all 3.3 million "drivers" in Ireland accept, or should accept shared responsibility for all road fatalities. If your side is going to use loaded arguments like "drivers kill" or "motorists kill" whatever, expect to be asked to qualify that statement.

As for hi-vis, motorists take responsibility for being seen, and cyclists should do the same.

• Advertisement

Ironically you're complaining about having to slow down for other road users while complaining others won't slow down for other shared path users. Even more ironically you're also complaining about people choosing the correct (and legal) place for their speed.

You're not the first on this thread to be outraged they have to drive as the law expects them. Avoiding collisions and slowing down for other traffic.

The the thread could be renamed "crusade to get drivers to drive normally".

Advertisement