Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More Woke stuff: Scrabble being dumbed down

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,254 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

No, we need people to stop getting hooked on social media outrage and to think about the words that they use.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 20,546 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

The best response is to follow the advice of the AH owners. Treat it as a lighthearted discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Maybe change the thread title - More "Woke" 🙄 threads: After Hours being dumbed down

• Registered Users Posts: 20,895 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I just saw "The Economist" refer to the game as "Woke Scrabble", christ. So glad I cancelled my subscription.

• Advertisement

I can't read the whole piece in the Economist online. But the start of it seems reasonable, and not a reason to go on a rant.

“Thick”, scoffed the headline on the Daily Mail website on April 9th, in response to the news that Scrabble has had an overhaul. In some parts of the world the word-play game has been relaunched with a double-sided board; one side now shows a new, simpler design that is meant to be less intimidating and more inclusive than the original.

The idea that Scrabble needs to be made less competitive in order to be attractive to Gen Z was always going to make some people rather vexed (16 points). “Next, they’ll turn to chess, but with only one piece each and only two squares on the board,” ran one typically balanced reader comment. Rants about snowflakes and wokeness aside, the new version of the game, which Mattel is introducing outside North America, looks like a perfectly good solution to a common strategic problem: how to make changes to much-loved products."

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,254 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 3,117 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

I heard that if you're vaccinated, you get bonus letters at the start on the new "woke" Scrabbles.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,043 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I heard if you use the word "woke" to describe the new Scrabble you're banned from playing the full version until you grow up…

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Is that bit about chess actually true?

• Advertisement

No. It's a reference to a Daily Mail comment by someone who, ironically, would need Scrabble to be simplified in order to be able to play it.

H. H. Asquith

So far so reasonable:

The idea that Scrabble needs to be made less competitive in order to be attractive to Gen Z was always going to make some people rather vexed (16 points). “Next, they’ll turn to chess, but with only one piece each and only two squares on the board,” ran one typically balanced reader comment. Rants about snowflakes and wokeness aside, the new version of the game, which Mattel is introducing outside North America, looks like a perfectly good solution to a common strategic problem: how to make changes to much-loved products.

Given all these pitfalls, Mattel’s innovation works well. It allows traditionalists to play the game they grew up with while also permitting an experiment that might bring in new players. Despite the sound and fury, it is all rather elegant (which gives you a bingo, 58 points and total, annihilating victory). 

I see nothing worth getting upset about here.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Whats so hard about normal Scrabble though? You can always change your letters if you have bad ones or you can't make a word.... What are the new rules anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Yeah Right

Hmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭taxAHcruel

From what little I have read it is not new rules. The same game is there with the same rules. But on the other side of the board there is a completely new different word game that is played as a co-op team rather than against each other. More than that I do not know.

But unless what little I have read has not been clear - my understanding is no new rules but a completely new game.

Which would mean the whole "Scrabble is being dumbed down" is just clickbait and false. Scrabble remains entirely unchanged.

I think irs played as a team.game rather than competition

• Registered Users Posts: 10,532 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Does that make it more inclusive? If so, that’s going to make it woke.

The tide is turning…

That crackpot used to fantasise about stabbing students in the neck with a pen when he was teaching. Not a sound mind.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Scrabble is anything but inclusive, they enforce the patriarchal colonist world view by limiting the game to 26 letters.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Can't play Scrabble no more because of woke.

Meanwhile in the real world, Scrabble Junior came out in the woke 1950s.

Woke.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

18 letters should be enough for anyone. Nach ea?

Advertisement