Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More Woke stuff: Scrabble being dumbed down

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭recyclops

The biggest issue with scrabble is the cheap ass boards that you get nowadays, tiles sliding across with any movement. I have a classic board that holds pieces in place and can twirl around while doing it.

Its either that board or no scrabble at all in my book

• Registered Users Posts: 16,041 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

I hate the amount of woke nonsense in this world as much as anybody, but I wouldn't in any way call this version of Scrabble woke. They're just trying to generate new business with a simpler version of a classic game that some people will find less intimidating. There was a section on today's Sean Moncrieff show talking about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,237 ✭✭✭✭Penn

People who think this is "woke" still aren't smart enough to play this easier version. They probably think Playdoh is the woke dumbed-down version of Cluedo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,860 ✭✭✭✭anewme

This thread would win thread of the day. It’s so bad it’s good 😊

Todays version of the movie The Sixth Sense - “I see woke people” 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 20,507 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Thread started out well, but has been dumbed down since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,860 ✭✭✭✭anewme

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Is it just normal scrabble it affects or is it travel scrabble too?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,215 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I'll never understand what people get out of incessantly whining about a four-letter word they can't define.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

*reads the OP*

• Registered Users Posts: 33,036 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I said that over on the "woke of the day" thread and it got me threadbanned….

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement

Perhaps I'm misremembering this - but wsan't there already a "scrabble-lite" version on the opposite side of the scrabble board?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

That was locked in July. It's with the Angels now.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,895 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I remember various media outlets describing Leo Varadkar as "woke" following his resignation. I think these days you need to have swastikas on your walls if you want to avoid being called woke.

Bleeding heart nonsense led to the thread being put out of its misery. Participation trophies were handed out first though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

You could take someone's eye out with the corner of a Scrabble board! Safety goggles all around when the game gets heated😁

https://apnews.com/general-news-national-national-63d0afc65fdc4a878527e49c161426c3

MADISON, Wis. (AP) — Authorities say an inmate at a Wisconsin jail locked a deputy in a cell and made threats with a knife-like weapon he had apparently whittled from a Scrabble game letter tray.

True, goggles and safety gloves will be needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

That thread would make an interesting psychological study into how peoples brains rot.

I'm centre left. But there's stuff to the left and right of me that I would consider "too far". And pretty much everyone is like that. We all see stuff, on both sides of the political spectrum, that we think has gone too far.

Unfortunately there's some people who take absolute drivel to extremes. And this thread is a perfect example.

Part of it would be the hope that seeing some of that stuff would led to people being less dogmatic in their outlook. Still the extreme sells or at least gets the clicks.

• Advertisement

I'm Left of Centre, but sometimes I could be a bit to the Right. But not too Far. I hope my Centre and yours are in the same place. The Centre is also a Side in the Spectrum, so that is at least Three Sides. Or it might be a Spectrum which is a Circle with no Sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,815 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Woke is nothing anyway. Its a meaningless concept for people to have something to rant about. There's no such thing as woke.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,215 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Exactly. Any time you need proof, just ask one of them to define it.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

I don't know if it's yourself I should be asking, but can we get this thread renamed 'wokeism of the day' and maybe moved to CA/IMHO.

Or would i be better start a thread there and hope it doesn't get locked?

Came across a few stories in the last six months that hardly deserve a thread of their own but would fit in nicely in a megathread. Was going to post something in the 'pushback against leftism' thread just now and see it's been closed over a year...

Saw it described as Gen Z scrabble. Which seemed a bit harsh.

You could PM a forum mod and see what they say. I'm afraid that that's all I can do.

H. H. Asquith

****, yeah!

Seriously, though: woke and anti-woke are the exact same people: they need to validate themselves by signalling their respective virtues and being as condescending as hell to everyone else.

The real people, though, are the ones who neither claim to be "woke" nor attack anyone or anything they aren't comfortable with with the use of "woke" as an insult.

It depends on how you're thinking of the word, IMO. For instance, some might call a hypothetical plan to recruit more women Gardaí as "woke" but that doesn't seem rational given that women constitute half the population and so it stands to reason that the Gardaí should be representative of that fact. I've made that example up.

You have to make your own opinion on each case that crops up. I would call stuff about actresses getting paid less than top earners like Robert Downey Jr. or Brad Pitt to be utter nonsense given how lucrative their presence can be in a film.

That's why I'd respectfully reject the idea of two sides each being as bad as each other. One side, if we accept the idea, at least has its heart in the right place if not its brain.

H. H. Asquith

We need a Common Sense Tzar to sort out this stuff.

• Advertisement

Neither of those examples are woke though - so getting offended by perceived "woke" like Gardai trying to rebalance numbers kinda proves my point.

Wanting to address a racial or gender imbalance isn't necessarily woke - if it's being done for practical reasons.

Advertisement