Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More Woke stuff: Scrabble being dumbed down

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Not sure if I'd classify this as "woke". It's a company trying to market a rejig of a game to sell more. 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

I would - it’s being done for the sake of “inclusivity”.

That’s what Hungry Hippos was for if Scrabble was too cerebral. Like anyone too thick for Millionnaire had Deal or No Deal.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,390 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Woke? It'd be like describing junior trivial pursuit as woke. It's a way of shifting more units. Anyone who wants classic Scrabble probably has one, they probably don't sell too many every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

People who go around finding everything “woke” would want to get checked out by a shrink. It seems to be some sort of tic at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭taxAHcruel

Not sure how this qualifies as "Woke". Has the meaning of that word changed that much since I first heard it? Anyway:

"The much-loved board game will now be printed with a simpler version on the back of the original board"

So nothing is actually being "dumbed down"? They are adding a completely new game to the other side of the board so you are getting two games in one. The Original Game as it always has been, and a new "Co-Op" style game?

So rather than "dumbing down" they are simply adding a separate extra game to the box?

"The new game has been designed for those aged eight and over as it is set to be a family-friendly game that can be shorter than the original head scratcher."

Also does not sound like "Dumbing Down" here so much as a new mode aimed at younger players to attract them into the game in the hope they will progress to using the original later on. I assume the long existing "Scrabble Junior" also had the same intent. Just like Catan Junior is a good gateway to Catan. And so on.

Also CO-OP games are great. I am all for adding CO-OP games to existing competitive games. In our house we quite like Pandemic and Castle Panic - and all the add ons. CO-OP games are a good market and it is good to see Scrabble entering it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,390 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Theory: the rate of sale of Scrabble closely mirrors the rate at which houses are built.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭SharkMX

There was a junior scrabble set in our house 25 years ago. I think it was my Dads from when he was in primary school, so its not new.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Glaceon

I wouldn’t consider this woke, but I would say it’s being dumbed down.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,651 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Man doesn't understand capitalism. Blames wokism. More at 11.

So? Firstly what's wrong with inclusivity? Secondly, the original game isn't being replaced and you're perfectly free to play that.... Also for the company it's largely to get sales from a group that are less likely to buy it...

Really seems like people just want to be outraged. 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,399 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

This thread should be pinned to the home page as a monument to how stupid all this anti "woke" conspiracy stuff has gotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

Is woke in the room with us right now? 😮

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

Woke once used to mean being aware of social and racial injustices. Then it slowly became about being angry at women & black people simply existing. Nowadays it just means "thing I don't like" by pea-brained morons.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭circadian

I love how everything is woke these days, people need to wind their necks in ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭taxAHcruel

A phrase a Boards User once used stuck with me. "A word that comes to mean everything - ends up meaning nothing" was essentially the phrase. Some useful words or phrases have been lost to this in the past. My feeling is the more useful a word originally was the more potential it has to fall into this trap.

From "woke" to "racist" to "nazi" to "toxic masculinity" to "mindfulness" to "holistic" - words that had genuine meanings that may even have been useful at the time - are now so diluted as to mean almost nothing but are used for almost everything.

But that aside - I am genuinely struggling how to see this game as being "dumbed down" when the game has not been edited or changed in any way. That's like saying by leaving something on the ground you are actually levitating it. It's nonsense. Unless I am misreading the articles (possible I admit) all they are doing is shipping a second game alongside the unedited original.

Sometimes they ship Draughts pieces in the same box as a chess set. Is that two games for the price of 1? Or are they also magically "dumbing down" chess by the insidious move of not actually changing chess in any way whatsoever? :)

Sounds to me like it's not the board games that need dumbing down but the articles written about those board games maybe. Because some on this thread (me?) clearly read them and understood nothing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭nachouser

Op, use the tiles to spell out how the woke board hurt you?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,573 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Show me on the teddy where woke touched you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭Musicrules

Stop being so woke OP!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I'm going to ask the question, do you, or any of the majority of people who use the word woke actually know what it means? If you don't, there is a new version of Scrabble coming out that might suit you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Would be more concerned over people being "intimidated" by a scrabble board.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,274 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Dumbing down is the more appropriate reaction. Smacks very much of the thinking of 'a medal for every kid in the class/ race'. You can all be winners, just buy our game.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,203 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Nobody is taking away the classic version, just play that.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

The flippable board is a smart move. Don't have the stigma of buying the "thicko" board.

Could equally get people playing who never have and eventually they might be comfortable playing the standard one... Either way, I'm not sure what the issue is.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,274 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

It's the change in marketing strategy, that we can all be winners, that is notable. Apart from that it means nothing other than a bit of publicity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭randd1

Depends on what words are being banned, I guess. If any.

At a guess, I'd say they're just trying to tap into the market that is the newest generation.

And better they play scrabble in whatever form than staring at braindead short videos on TikTok.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,289 ✭✭✭✭elperello

WOKE scores 11 in Scrabble

OP scores 4 in Scrabble

And the winner 🏆 is....🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Out raged at the use of the word inclusive, you are trying to take this parody post to far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

But what does woke score in the new inclusive (😲) scrabble?

Probably forces you into a relationship with someone undergoing gender reassignment surgery, did you ever think about that?

Advertisement