Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In need of a website - paid gig

Options
  • 08-04-2024 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭

hi all

have been searching Fiverr to get someone to develop a website for me the past few months but can’t get anyone that’s able to cater to what I need.

The purpose is a classifieds website similar to DoneDeal, I need this done on Wordpress . Anyone that’s able to help me out here let me know please.
    also do not contact me if you’re going to quote me €8,500 or thousands like I have been quoted already by Fiverr developers.
    this is a demo website I need made, not a massive site. I have the majority of the html code already done and have examples of exactly what I need.

I’m open to reasonable pricing

thanks in advance 🙏

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭SharkMX

Ive done websites for people before as nixers. Its never worth my time. They actually always seem to want something different to what they asked for in the first place and expect endless changes for free.

I actually dont know anyone who is going to do a website and not quote bug, so that they are covered when the inevitable happens.

Not saying this is you OP but it probably is - People think they know how to code their own website so that a professional is left with an easy gig, yet if you were that good, you should be able to finish it off yourself and not need a professional.

So you've stated what you wont be paying for it, but are extremely vague on what you want. Why not put in your post exactly what you want and what you are willing to pay for it and then see if anyone wants to help for that price.

You are basically asking people top bid on an unknown piece of work here.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Designator

no I’m saying if anyone does want to do this for me they can message me for the full details etc. I’m not going to post the entire thing up here as it is a business idea as such so I won’t be posting all details on a public forum.

I just don’t want to be quoted almost 10 grand for a website that’s going to be for demo purposes

It might be a graphic designer you need for a demo.

Or you might get a student looking for some experience who might do a website for you.

any idea how I would go about finding a student to help ? I’d be more than willing to pay him/her for it too

Go into one of the universities and ask can they post an ad for you. DCU have an officer who deals with this sort of stuff. Cant remember what its called.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 14,341 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Jesus, you’d be willing to pay them for them doing work that they’re probably already very qualified in?

Fair play to you 😉

*I’m only messing with the above, but seriously, you have to be willing to part with half-decent money even for a demo site. It’s still something somebody has experience in etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭antimatterx

€8,500 would be very very cheap. Think about it logically. You need at least 7 pages built.

Homepage, Search Page, Ad View Page, Edit Ad Page, Publish Ad Page, User Dashboard and Payment Page. This is a lot of work. You could spent the guts of a year on this.

Never mind dealing with all the compliance laws.

….and…

You want cheap labour? That's exactly what you'll get. Lack of quality, lack of ambition from the creator (why should they bust their balls for a reduced fee?), lack of communication potentially, again because you aren't paying market value.

I got quoted €8,500 for a website and a timeline of 6 weeks. I’m not dumb enough to think that the guy is only working on my site during those 6 weeks. That’s just ridiculous pricing when I already did the majority of the html code myself anyway , so it’s not from scratch at all .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,471 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Relevant:

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 31,852 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Would you not just go via wix or similar? It's pretty straightforward to setup and scale.

I can build a website no problem myself , I have done. But what I need is someone that’s able to create a website where I can have users create accounts, message one another. List adverts, take payment etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 shimadzu

Sounds like you are looking for a finished website instead of a demo site. Might help if you post what you are hoping to pay.

So someone with expertise and experience? You’ll have to pay the going rate

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭purplefields

So you'll also need some kind of database and payment system integration.

What is your maximum budget for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,030 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

You don't want to post it on a public forum. The website is for demo purposes. Presumably you think there an business opportunity as the outcome. If you are serious about it's potentially, I wouldn't be getting any uncontracted work done.

Of course he's not only working on your site for those 6 weeks. For 6 weeks full time work, I want a lot more than 8500e

I’m sorry but no matter what industry you’re in that’s a ridiculous an obnoxious rate tbh. So you reckon you’d want at least €1,000 per week of work to work on something for probably 3-4 hours per day at the very most? Good luck with that . You’re not a brain surgeon , this isn’t life or death

asking someone their maximum budget is just another way of asking how much money you can drain out of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭antimatterx

• Advertisement

Nope, not something with full capabilities for thousands of adverts and users. Just something to showcase the features first.

that’s just obnoxiousness to be quite honest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭peejay1986

If it's just a demo site would you not try and do it via a Wordpress template or something like that? Plenty would have the functionality you've mentioned. Then use the money you save to increase your proper build's budget.

Here's why:

1. It's taken me many years of college and then work to learn how to do this stuff. Unlike most other professions, software development is constantly changing. What's relevant this year may not be relevant next year. While normal people are watching netflix, I'm probably sifting through AWS documents or trying to upgrade the latest thing Microsoft have deprecated. You can't just learn the stuff once, like block laying or something. You don't see any of that.
    2. I can get work for my actual rate easily enough.
    3. Sounds like a nightmare of a project with endless spec creep.
    4. Might not even get paid at the end of it.
    5. You think it's easy because you've shat out some HTML.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭long_b

If it's just a "demo" website would mocked up screenshots not do ?

So OP if you read pack to post number 2 in the thread, now do you understand why people dont want to get involved in doing websites as nixers, especially if the person commissioning it thinks that they know better?

I think its clear at this point why you are getting no takers. As I said, your only hope is to convince a student who wants experience to do it for you, but that would still even be very hard on your budget im guessing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,471 ✭✭✭✭28064212

You're all over the place here OP. First of all, if it's just a demo, why do you need user accounts, payment integration etc.? Second, you want it done in Wordpress, but you keep talking about the HTML code you've already done. Wordpress development involves the use of virtually no HTML code whatsoever. Thirdly, even if that code was usable, absolutely no serious developer wants to take on some amateur's attempt at a code to try and bring it up to standard. Any decent developer will be using a standardised bootstrap setup as the framework for a new build. They won't use any of your code, so your code hasn't reduced their work even the tiniest bit.

TBH, if your interactions with the developers you've approached have been anything like the way you've been responding here, there's every chance the quotes you have received are basically "go away" figures: an amount that is either absurdly profitable, or makes sure they don't have to deal with you as a client

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 17,970 ✭✭✭✭rob316

You basically want an ecommerce site (create accounts, take payments) €8500 seems cheap.

• Advertisement

I’m well aware Wordpress requires little to no html . I learned the html coding so I could make website pages exactly how I want them so I can show a developer exactly the design , buttons, layout etc that I want without having to try explain it. Probably not payment integration at first. But definitely the functionality to create a handful of user accounts to show messaging capabilities , favourites lists, own listings etc.

I’m well capable of making a website on Wordpress myself but thought it would be better to get a professional to polish it up and help add bits I’m unsure of such as the ability to add user accounts etc . But forgive me if I’m not going to pay close to €10,000 to do so because that’s just utter extortion

Advertisement