Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dangerous driving by dashcam warrior

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Something to remember is the ROTR contains things which are not backed up in legislation; it is not legislation itself.

There is the "driving without reasonable consideration" offence, however. Speeding up when being overtaken could easily be considered as such, and be for a solicitor to argue against.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭byrne249

The entire thread reads like a bunch of butt hurt individuals whose entire personality is their car and how well they perceive themselves at being able to drive it and the thought that someone with a dash might catch their terrible driving and destroy their own egoic perception of themselves horrifies them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭Miscreant

@Whocare Keep the dashcam footage to yourself and forget about reporting it to the Gardaí at this stage. It sounds, from your account, that both of you were at fault in some way here. If the other driver floored it while you were beginning your overtake manoeuvre, I can pretty much guarantee that you both exceeded the 80Kph limit to get past each other. Coupled with the standing water you mentioned, the whole circumstance was a recipe for disaster for BOTH of you! Neither of you are covered in glory here.

You having experience driving a heavy vehicle does not automatically make you a better driver than anyone else and I have seen some appalling driving in the past from so called "Professional" drivers.

Just drive normally, leave your ego at home and get rid of the MGIF attitude that seems to be so prevalent on the roads these days.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

If I'm starting to overtake someone and they start accelerating I abandon the overtake and move back in, its much safer that way.

As a driver I expect everybody else to be the idiot and watch them, I don't let my ego away and attempt to finish a dangerous overtake.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,248 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

On the face of it yes, but there are easily circumstances where it's not

• When entering a higher speed zone (60 into 80 zone)
    • Leaving a road section with bends and blind spots or poor surface
    • After a section of road works
    • Choosing to speed up at the same time the driver behind decided to over take
    • If the car behind had not indicated an intention to overtake (lots of this occurrence)

Ultimately, it's on the car overtaking to do so safely. The car in front can't block them by moving out, but speeding up is not automatically dangerous driving. Its all about the unique situation and the OP's footage would be useful to see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭byrne249

I have a friend like this. I do my best to avoid getting in the car with him these days. Always complaining about lads taking corners too slow and speeding up on the straights. You lads are best served on track days in Mondello

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Ted222

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I'm just driving, it says a lot about you if you think that someone following the rules of the road ahead of you is trying to teach you a lesson or winding you up. Far more likely they're just going about their day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

yeah there’s a few numpties whose mission in life is to keep cars slow when not safe to overtake (like doing 60 in an 80) then quickly speed up to 80 in an 80 when approaching an area of road where it’s safe to overtake - I’ve seen it many times - there are just some drivers out there who just do this kind of thing day in day out- as long as you’re sure your car will “beat” theirs in acceleration time, and you have enough clear road then you’ll be fine - I used to have a pig slow car years ago that was a death trap when it came to over taking so I gave up such manoeuvres - my current car does a nice quick 60-90 but even then I wouldn’t try that manoeuvre if I knew the car in front of me acting the maggot had similar or better acceleration -it’s just a game these people play- sad lives

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Ted222

You can follow the rules and still refrain from unnecessarily delaying others. They’re not mutually exclusive concepts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I take your point but I’ve seen too many cars driving deliberately slowly at times where there’s on coming traffic then quickly accelerating when that incoming traffic dissipates then back again to 60 in an 80 or whatever when the road conditions again close to over taking - it’s deliberate road hogging - a game - and god love you when you do overtake such numpties- you get horns flashing lights and what not - so no, speeding up is not automatically dangerous driving but you’ll know very quickly who the numpties are when you do overtake

How is someone travelling at the speed limit and accelerating when the speed limit changes delaying others? You're the one who said

You’ll teach them! Well done you

I'm not teaching anybody, I'm accelerating in line with the new road conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Whocare

Fair enough except he didn't just speed up went I was passing he went flat to floor drop a gear I would say and try to kill me and he knew full well what he was doing then flashing lights like a nut case.

I definitely will be going to garda as it was worse driving I came across if was inexperienced driver and if car Started comings toward them might not Realise burn tyres into ground and keep Acceleration trying pass out into head on crash

• Registered Users Posts: 19,870 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

• Registered Users Posts: 27,121 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

This site is getting worse. A driver who was driving at the appropriate speed on a wet stretch of road with turns, decided to increase their speed when the road straightened out.

Meanwhile, his royal highness behind picked that point to start a dangerous overtake and someone the sane driver is the one in the wrong according to some.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,529 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

I think you need to take it back a step. In this scenario we have a dangerous situation. The best thing to do if overtaking and the car your overtaking accelerates is to abandon the move. But it shouldn't be a dangerous situation to begin with, because the car being overtaken shouldn't have accelerated when being overtaken causing the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,921 ✭✭✭kirving

Standard Boards of late, picking apart a single incident to try and poke holes in their version of events.

Go to Youtube and a look at any of those dashcam compilation videos. There's invariable an arsehole who speeds through, or accelerates as hard as they can at a roundabout with one hand ready over the horn looking to get their next video.

Thankfully they're usually hammered in the comments, but there's often someone defending them, who will pull up the same old ROTR line about how the other driver should give way to traffic on their right. Yeah they should wait, but road safety is more about acting in a predicable manner, than getting to within 1% of your legal entitlements, and then crying foul when you're involved in a collision.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,121 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Why was there a solid white line?
    Can you show us the road on google maps?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tphase

Agree one should always be prepared to quickly abandon an overtake if it becomes unsafe. However, if the space you just vacated is filled, if there's someone tailgating you in the overtake maneuver or if the idiot you're overtaking brakes at the same time as you, you're left on the wrong side of the road with nowhere to go except to complete the maneuver

• Advertisement

No I definitely won't keep garda out of this. Personally I think you can't read. Car doing 60km at most even on straight enough road were cars easily go 80km plus but as there was Continuous white line can't pass out came to Broken white line went passing out he Accelerate hard it clear as day and dashcam footage will proof it . As I said not so much I care about him but could ended differently if was inexperienced driver this is main reason I will be going to garda even if call to his door and have chat with him I be happy enough

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭well24

Thats exactly the way I read it as well..

Its happened to us all.. morons who think they own / police the road.. if their is a car up your behind, you can see they enjoy it and slow down even further just to antagonise.. or if their is a big hard shoulder they dont pull in and let ppl pass.. all very infuriating .. if I aint in a hurry I always let them pass.. no skin off my nose, at least I dont have the uncomfort of having someone close to my car..

TBH I can see where the OP is coming from, his behavior led him to do something which was a bit risky (made riskier by the driver when he sped up).. very very dangerous.. if the driver had actually slowed down might have been a perfectly OK time to overtake.

Who was more in the wrong - if you ask me the driver who sped up.. he should have slowed down a bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭well24

I would say no you do not have it correct, the car in front would have known (or should have known), their was a car right behind him, knew that he would overtake the first chance he got.. he knew this and make a conscious decision to accelerate when he was overtaking.. very dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭JVince

That if you believe the very one sided story by the op with the powerful audi.

My guess is the very powerful audi was tailgating the small peugeot 206 on bad bends on a wet road. I'm driving 35 years and very rarely have any issues with other drivers as I'll be respectful to their space. In this situation the powerful audi should have kept back a proper distance until the road straightened out and THEN overtaken safely.

If the other car then started to accelerate, simply pull back and accept you'll be behind the other car for a few minutes. that's the proper way. You do not accelerate even harder just because you have a "powerful audi" and put yourself and others at risk

My guess is Mr. OP and his powerful audi would not like the full coverage going to the gardai

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭Miscreant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

This post goes to the nub of the matter as much as any other, albeit in a way where the poster here appears to have clearly made their mind up about things already.

Surely it's a case of:

• If driver in front at first continued to drive at around 60km/h on the straight stretch - such that OP reasonably expected that other driver had no intention of speeding up, and that overtaking a vehicle being driven at 60km/h would not be hazardous on that straight stretch - but other driver then accelerated sharply in direct response to the overtaking when it had already begun - then other driver is the one in the wrong.
    • However, if other driver had already started to increase their speed on the straight stretch before OP began to overtake, and OP decided to overtake anyway before waiting to see what other driver's ultimate speed would be, then OP would be the one in the wrong.

OP's account is it's the first of those. The rest of us won't know until or unless we see the footage, which may never happen.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

If you have such a powerfull engine as a 2L diesel, other cars such as 206 types should yield and give way. Simple rules of road.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,651 ✭✭✭creedp

• Registered Users Posts: 3,865 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

OP, I think you should buy a "powerful Audi" get rid of that 2.0 tdi, overtaking would be much simpler

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,676 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

This ideally - be patient, trucks and lorries can be the worst offenders in this regard.

But I'm sure there's times when if safe, you just drop a gear, put the foot down and get past the hoors.

When you've been patiently following lorries on bendy roads for a good period of time and then they speed up, it's a saint that wouldn't be frustrated.

Cars that speed up as in OP are a bit different, you might give the truck driver the benefit of the doubt but cars doing this are being driven by assholes that should be put off the road.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement