Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dangerous driving by dashcam warrior

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Ted222

I find that offensive and ageist. I’m nearly 60 and I still desperately look for things to be outraged by.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Sorry that happened you OP, very unnerving.
    Not accelerating while being overtaken is in the Rules of Road and would be prosecuted by Careless or Dangerous driving offences. The other driver was completely reckless here.
    Unfortunately, some people have no power in their lives and the only way they have to feel some power to ‘patrol’ the roads, set the speed on a road where they knew people can’t overtake easily. The same people hold up the queue in the Post Office or Supermarket at busy times having banter and myriad other ways to feel power and control.
    Me, sometimes I’m not in a rush going somewhere and don’t feel like pushing on, or if I’m in my camper, I am still conscious of other traffic and keep to let faster cars off or speed up where I can’t do that. It’s no skin off my nose. A lot of drivers seem to think they own the road in front of them and everyone else can just wait.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,658 ✭✭✭creedp

In fairness some drivers consider any overtaking of themselves, or when they are on opposite irrespective how much time/distance from overtaking car, a dangerous manoeuvre with flashing lights and shaking fist the std response.

II'm Impressed that you can assert what is a dangerous manoeuvre from that post.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Was there a speed limit change at the same time as the road opened up? I've seen a few people caught out by cars increasing speed when the limit changes because they were so impatient and wanted to overtake before the change.

When I was driving my Up! I used to regularly see large German saloons get left on the wrong place of the road behind me as I would accelerate to the new limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

This site is getting worse. Whocare clearly explains he got to a part of the road where it was safe and legal to overtake, he started overtaking, and the other driver took umbrage at Whocare's "temerity" to overtake his royal highness and tried everything he could to prevent that. A strange attitude is being adopted by a lot of posters in this thread towards Whocare.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I don't think he did himself any favours by calling the other driver a "dashcam warrior" as if that was actually relevant.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

What I said was that "overtaking is a dangerous manouvre" - it is because you are moving to the other side of the road to pass another driver. This isn't just my opinion - I could refer you to RoSPA

Overtaking is one of the highest risk manoeuvres for both drivers and riders because it can put the overtaking vehicle into the path of oncoming traffic, often at high speeds. If there is a head-on collision, the speed of both vehicles combines to create a much more severe impact.

Nonetheless, it was also the OP who described their manouvre as having been dangerous and I quote:

…Extremely dangerous road wet bit of standing water…
    I don't what would have happened if was inexperienced driver or if there was car comings toward us…his driving could definitely cause fatal crash

so no need to be impressed at what I posted, it really is basic knowledge of how to drive

Especially given that the OP told us that they also have a dashcam and reckons they will show the footage to AGS!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭tphase

OP, a bit of punctuation would help to make your posts a bit readable. You're really in no position to insult people in respect of their reading abilities.

Your experience is not unique, it's happened to me (and people I know) more than once. Usually the slower driver doesn't know there's a car behind them until it draws level when overtaking and only then they start accelerating hard.

I look forward to seeing your dashcam footage when you post it. Hard to make a judgement one way or the other based on the written account presented

Post edited by tphase on

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭CoffeeImpala

I'd say there should probably be a full stop after the "Extremely dangerous" to indicate that the OP was referring to the accelerating as you're being overtaken rather than the road condition.

But stream of consciousness posts are hard to decipher so who can say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,252 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

happens me about twice a month - it’s not a unique experience at all - the key to dealing with such idiots OP is not look as though you’re trying to overtake - assume they’ll increase speed when the road ahead is clear so be ready to overtake fast as soon as it’s safe to do so - they’ll likely not accelerate as quickly if you look like you’re happy doing 60kmph

Yes but as a driver, probably the most dangerous thing you will do on the road is overtake another moving vehicle.

The road conditions being wet, etc and the other driver acting the mick will obviously increase the potential for a collision

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭easygoing39

This topic badly needs the OP to post the dashcam footage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Did you keep accelerating when you spotted that you were being passed?

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Whocare

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Ted222

Why wouldn’t you allow them pass you before accelerating? You’re holding them back overall and just winding them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭SteM

OP, not sure you said but what was the speed limit on the road?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Whocare

6 am still darkish so Illuminating the car interior. Dashcam footage posting here will need see what garda say first you never know might want see him in court

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I'm not holding them back by travelling at the speed limit and they're not alongside me as I accelerate due to the speed change.

I've no problem with somebody who wants to pass me as I'd rather have the eejit be in front of me instead of behind, but they need do so at a safe location. Overtaking somebody at the point the speed limit changes is not very safe in my opinion as you should expect the other driver to also be changing speed.

Post edited by liamog on

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Daniel son

Have you been driving long?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

No offence to OP, but the way the initial account was written clearly gives rise to some confusion. So in an attempt to help him by clarifying things, here's what I think he means:

• OP drove behind a car travelling at 55 to 60 km/h for about 3km, waiting for the opportunity to overtake.
    • When they came to a straight stretch of road, driver in front at first continued to drive at 55 to 60 km/h, so OP began an overtaking manoeuvre.
    • Driver in front then also sped up in a direct reaction to OP beginning to overtake, delaying the overtaking manoeuvre from being completed safely. This, rather than the road itself, is the thing that OP considers was "extremely dangerous".

@Whocare - is this a fair enough summary, from your point of view?

I do agree with other posters here that seeing your own footage would be useful, but I understand if you're reluctant to post it before first showing to Gardaí, if indeed you intend to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭JVince

Most posters (inc myself) seem to be confused. If I read it correctly then the OP needs some lessons as I suspect it is their driving that was particularly bad.

Am I correct.

You are driving a very powerful audi and behind a smaller vehicle that did not have the power or prestige of your audi.

The road had bends and there was an unbroken white line.

As you had a very powerful audi, you contemplated overtaking the smaller less powerful vehicle on the unbroken white lines because that vehicle had a dashcam and therefore could report you to the gardai (assuming no oncoming car crashed into you whilst dangerously overtaking)

The road opens up to a straight stretch and the vehicle in front dares to increase their speed as the road condition is now safer for a higher speed of 60km.

But because you have a more powerful audi. You are obviously entitled to overtake the smaller vehicle and that they have no right whatsoever to increase their speed on the straighter stretch of road because you and your very powerful audi want to do that and smaller cars do not have that right?

And you wonder if you can make a complaint about this other motorist because you and your very powerful audi had to make an added effort and even higher speed to overtake this lesser vehicle on a wet road with standing water.

Have I got this correct???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

That seems incredibly dangerous to accelerate when someone is attempting an overtake.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Glaceon

You say "something to be outraged by" whereas I'd say "covering your arse in the event of an accident". My brother was in a bad crash at a junction when he turned right on a filter, but was T-boned. The other driver claimed to have a green and the insurance ruled against my brother. If he had dashcam footage, it would have been much easier to settle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,644 ✭✭✭chooseusername

@Whocare, If you do decide to show it to the Gardaí, make sure your speed is not on show if you broke the limit there.

Some drivers think it's ok to break the limit to overtake.

Seems incredibly dangerous to me attempt to overtake when you expect some to accelerate. Most drivers tend to be looking forward when increasing speed.

You're meant to be keeping an eye on your rear view mirror as well so should know if someone has started an overtake. That's how head on collisions happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,471 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Quick question - if I am driving on windy roads doing 50-60 kph and then get to a straight bit of road, is it my obligation to maintain the slower speed because somebody behind me might want to overtake me? And can only accelerate to the speed the straight bit of road allows once all cars behind me have overtaken?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

OK

• Advertisement

I always thought you had to maintain speed or slow down once you see they've attempted an overtake. Aka, when they're on the opposite side of the road you don't accelerate then.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement