Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 2024 All Ireland Senior Football Championship (Sam Maguire Cup)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭HBC08

Yes of course,can't blame supporters but the whole thing is such a sh1tshow now.

Ulster and Connacht will still be competitive but I don't think the current system is sustainable.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,027 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I wonder could they add Dublin and Kerry to the Connacht championship (rebrand it as the Western Conference) and put London into Munster (geographically closer), farcical as it is

• Registered Users Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Surprising that they were never taught to pronounce "th" properly. I had a teacher way back in National School who would be appalled if she was alive today at the way English is spoken and written. This is a GAA topic not an English language one, so I'll leave it at that 😊.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

They really really really need to just remove Dublin from Leinster at this point. A Kildare v Louth final for example would attack 40k+ and have a cracking atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭robbiezero

I agree. Id be inclined to play them off before the league and eventually kill them off or they would die away themselves. Such a loss of momentum from an exciting competive league to watching rubbish like today.

• Advertisement

Just remove Dublin and let the actual counties in Leinster compete. We know the GAA are dense so they'll just keep them there while telling us we need to iNcReAsE tHe LeVeL eVeRyOnE elSe Is At.

I have to say as someone who started boycotting the Leinster championship due to the unfair advantages created by the association I take great pride in seeing the attendances collapse. Would have been even lower without the camogie match.

The LOI in Dublin is now bigger then intercounty GAA. Despite spending billions the end result is Soccer > GAA. The premier Leinster GAA competition makes the sport look trivial as best. Delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,507 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Not many places to be decided for Sam and the Tailteann.

Five from Leinster in the Tailteann, with one more 99% certainty Offaly, and one of Kildare/Louth/Westmeath.

Two from Ulster, Antrim and Fermanagh, with a possible one more, Down.

Two from Connacht if we include London, and a very strong possible, Sligo.

Two from Munster and one more from Clare/Waterford has to be added.

Most likely to go into the Tailteann are Down, Kildare, Sligo and Waterford.

Leaving Westmeath to join three others, Dublin, Meath, Louth from Leinster in Sam. Along with six from Ulster, three from Connacht and three from Munster.

BUT if Kildare beat Louth, Westmeath will lose out. And if Down beat Armagh, Louth will also lose out.

That would leave the top 13 places in the League in Sam, along with Westmeath, Down and Clare/Waterford. Meath were that 13th place in the League, and are also there from the Tailteann.

I think I have that right.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,289 ✭✭✭megadodge

"Despite spending billions the end result is Soccer > GAA"

Were you drunk when you wrote that?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,243 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Agreed.have TSG on now seem to be be creating a “blame Dublin for Leinster being shite”

They went further and had an intro “Ulster football is fine” - before the Fermanagh v Armagh match. Then Armagh killed the game as a contest in no time. 3 goals few points and Fermanagh one point on the board!

Then we had Glen Ryan of Kildare really celebrating a narrow win v Wicklow!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Agreed.have TSG on now seem to be be creating a “blame Dublin for Leinster being shite”

They went further and had an intro “Ulster football is fine” - before the Fermanagh v Armagh match. Then Armagh killed the game as a contest in no time. 3 goals few points and Fermanagh one point on the board!

Earlier today we had Glen Ryan of Kildare really celebrating a narrow win v Wicklow!

-

How many div1 sides in Leinster ? How many in Munster?

And they face div 2/3/4 sides.

The league will eventually kill the provincials as sponsors get attracted to the better competition. Just a matter of when not if.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,467 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

The useful population in Fermanagh is about the increase in Dublin's population since 2021. Dublin is the problem.

What has Dublin got to with Fermanagh? Nothing. Why is Kerry not the “issue” in Munster?

The arse falling out of Kildare and Meath is the Leinster issue. Two big managers carried them.

Not the first time Meath had a 20 year gap of no success. Was 20 year gap until the 60’s. 20 year gap until Boylan. Kildare had a 70 year gap before Micko.

Players are / were not managed correctly since. Poor results against weak sides should be beating- Carlow, Westmeath, Wicklow etc
    Interestingly I well remember Fermanagh’s most recent success under Pete McGrath. Defensive not pretty but effective that is management.
    Derry have gone from div 4 to winning div 1 - now Sam contenders. That is management.

If I was from Meath / Kildare I would hang my head in shame. Decent population, decent players sh!te results. Ruining the work of former greats of management.

Dublin are literally the reason Leinster is shite as a spectacle. Surprised it took TSG this long but they were probably under pressure to not say it before.

What has Dublin, the GAA and Leinster got to lose? Just give Dublin a bye to the all Ireland series. This province is a waste of time for the Dublin squad. A Vs B games would be better and it's a waste of time and money for Dublin fans too.

Zero interest outside of Dublin as no matter how good a run you have the end result is a Dublin hammering.

Free the championship and let it be a contest between 10 counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

Was at the game in Croke Park yesterday. I remember going to Dublin v Meath games in early 90s including the 4 game epic it is sad to see what the fixture has become. I expected a comfortable win but is still the old enemy although memories of their great teams are fading a bit.

The small crowd of 21,000 was evidence of how dominant Dublin are and how so many fans of both Dublin and the opposition are now voting with their feet and staying at home. I might go to Leinster final if it is against Kildare but it is getting harder and harder to get worked up about these inevitable turkey shoots.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Meath lasted about 15 to 20 minutes yesterday. Id give Kildare 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

Oh i know that but for me anyway there is still a bit of a rivalry v Kildare from times past. They've beaten us at underage a few times in recent years. They are definately struggling but there has to be some talent in the county.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Offaly V Dublin in Croke Park probably with an attendance of around 20k

As opposed to Offaly V Dublin in Tullamore in a packed provincial venue.

Obviously we know which would be the better occasion and which would involve some chance of producing a match so what do the Leinster council opt for of course the idiots decide to have the match in Croke Park.

2 weeks to go before the match , they could easily make the decision to move it to Tullamore today or tomorrow and have enough time for organisation of it but of course they won;t do it and then they wonder why the championship are dying on their arse (number of reason but this type of lack of common sense is one)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Agreed. A turkey shoot in an empty Croke Park does nothing for Leinster football. Everyone sees this except the Leinster Council.

I read that Tullamore holds 18K. Before the football yesterday there were two camogie games in Croke Park, with small crowds. But those players were probably happy to be playing there. And the Offaly footballers should not be denied a rare chance to play in Croke Park.

It is a double header, Louth v Kildare followed by Offaly v Dublin, neither being shown on RTE that I can see. So there might be a decent crowd. But last year it was the same four teams, and only 30,500 showed up. I don't think moving the semi finals out of Dublin is going to attract more spectators. There were only 40,000 at the Leinster final Dublin v Louth. But I read that the Louth players and management were glad to get two days out in Croke Park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭Trampas

Who choose Croker was it Leinster council or Meath? So much for the having Dublin playing the first round outside of Dublin.

Numbers yesterday was bad and should never been played there. Seemed like a good few from Meath in the hogan making noise.

Someone in Portlaoise must have a bit of pull with the Leinster Council. That is if they are making any money hosting those games. All the venues are fixed before a ball is kicked.

https://leinstergaa.ie/competitions/leinster-gaa-senior-football-championship-2023/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

The desire to play in Croke Park is ruining gaelic football though. The ambition seems to be to play in Croke Park rather than give Dublin a good crack on front of a home crowd. Dublin just eat teams up in Croke Park, adding to cynicism among supporters.

The long term benefit of playing in Croker is minimal to weaker teams. Meath played a few times last year there and if anything they are almost worse this year.

Croke Park did not work like that for them back in the day. They never had a winning streak anything like the current one in Leinster before. And when it comes to All Irelands they can be beaten in Croke Park. It all points to a decline in the standards in Meath. The other counties Kildare included were always also rans in Leinster anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

A decent number of those offaly players won an all ireland u-20 in Croke Park, most of them have probably played their in numerous underage matches and potentially league finals over the years.There is no real thrill in playing in a 3/4 empty Croke Park particularly if you've played their before (which most Offaly players have).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Archduke Franz Ferdinand

fair play to Kildare on the win but they are still shite.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Archduke Franz Ferdinand

The grab all association thought they might make a killing by holding the dubs v Meath game in croker. As it happened , the only killing yesterday was Meath being murdered. Even the die hard dubs aren’t turning up to witness these turkey shoots anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭daheff

10? I wouldn't even give them the warm up the way they are going this season. Probably start 5 points down and a player already sent off!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Compo82

The GAA have reaped what they have sowed. Pumping millions into Dublin GAA and they have just got stronger and stronger. They obviously have the advantage of population and play almost all their games at home. No wonder the whole competition is unfair. Now I do think Meath and Kildare should be stronger and they must take some blame. If Dublin were in Ulster and Connacht they probably would have dominated to the same extent. The All Ireland championship is almost as uncompetitive with Dublin winning 9 out of the 12 all Irelands and I think they will do the same again.

Also the whole new championship is awful. There's no jeopardy and the general public have realised that these provincial games don't really matter. Also, it's too early starting the championship. There's too much other sports on and the weather is crap. It was all pure greed by the GAA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Assuming that the remaining provincial matches proceed according to the bookies' odds, this is roughly what the seeding will look like:

1st seeds:
    Derry
    Dublin
    Kerry
    Galway

2nd seeds:
    Armagh
    Louth
    Clare
    Mayo

3rd seeds:
    Tyrone