Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building workshop & office in back garden - Planning?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Not an issue. You’re free to disagree and remain incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,823 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Well, you got professional advice on this thread already but looks like you chose to ignore it. Im not even sure why you asked the question in the first place as you have now indicated that you intend to proceed with the proposal.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I was not aware that I got professional advice in this thread, that was not made clear to me. Nice to know :)

Since starting the thread I received conflicting advice. Considering the shed as ”temporary” was not something I had considered until it was proposed to me. I accept that this approach may be flawed but I think I will explore it anyway.
    What harm?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,021 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

uk planning regulations has (or at least used to have) allowance for "temporary structures" in a domestic setting, and thats the source of most of the temporary exemption myth in ireland.

in ireland we absolutely do not have exemptions for "temporary" domestic structures, and yes even a polytunnel will require planning permission if it exceeds the allowable area under exempt regs.

note that ive consistently referred to "domestic" structure when commenting here, as there are absolutely allowance for temporary structures in a commercial activity, such as site cabins on new house scheme builds or civil works etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,010 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

The way I see it, pragmatically, "temporary" or moveable structure just makes it easier/cheaper to comply with an order to remove it.

E.g. if you have a 1000 euro polytunnel and the council orders you to take it down, the costs of compliance are….1000 euro.

If you have a caravan and the council orders you to remove it, you can move it or sell it and the costs of compliance are…zero.

Whereas if you have a 30k euro "garden room" and the council orders you to remove it, you're down about 30k because I have never seen such structures for sale, only posted on freebie forums in the form "free to whoever comes and removes it".

Also, I like DIY but if I had a 35sqm shed I wouldn't fancy chopping 30% off it to make it comply. That would be no fun at all.

So I think sensible advice is "first know the regs, and then if you want to ignore them, think about the costs of compliance".

FWIW my shed is arguably non-compliant because it's got a 4m ridge but is built on a hill, so the ridge line is more than 4m from the lowest ground level. My plan B is to crane it or jack it into a hole, which might actually be fun, if nobody dies.

• Advertisement
Advertisement