Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building workshop & office in back garden - Planning?

Options
  • 31-03-2024 8:46am
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I plan to build a workshop and office at the end of my back garden. The structure will be around 10 x 3.5 m. The only windows will be below the level of the garden fence and will point towards my house. The highest point of the roof will be around 2 feet higher than the back (block) wall at the end of my garden. I don't expect any of my neighbours to have any issues with this, but I will ask them just to make sure.

My question is from a planning perspective, am I permitted to do this without planning?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,717 ✭✭✭Tow

No. 25 sqm is the maximum size allowed without planning, measured externally, across all sheds. The external measurement requirement is a bone of contention, as it is internal for a house extension.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,021 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Probably not, but you're expressing the dimensions wrong.

What matters is: roof type (pitched or flat), highest point of roof relative to ground, internal floor area.

Internal floor area must be <25sqm taking into account all such structures (although if you also had a cheap shed and wanted to become compliant you'd just knock that).

Height must be <2.5m (flat) or <4m (pitched).

edit:

The external measurement requirement is a bone of contention, as it is internal for a house extension.

Indeed!

• Subscribers Posts: 41,123 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Height must be <3.0m (flat) or <4m (pitched)

Fyp

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

My roof with be a flat roof with a slight pitch. It will not exceed 3m at any point. I would expect the internal floor area would be larger than 25 m sq.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Planning technically required then.

You could chance it but you would be in the wrong legally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,242 ✭✭✭This is it

Isn't there also a requirement for X amount of garden space to remain? Or that's what we were told when buying our property. The shed size was under the threshold for planning, but because the remaining garden space was less than X it needed planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,745 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Your plans are 40 percent increase over the permitted sqm.

Not insignificant ergo. Planning required.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Thanks for the responses

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Ted222

The 25m2 limit also assumes that there have been no previous extensions to the property.
    If the area of any such extensions exceeds 25m2, then permission is required for any further extensions, no matter how small.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,988 ✭✭✭✭rob316

There is also a requirement to have a certain amount of garden space left after its built. either way the floor space of your proposed build is far too big without planning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,021 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Thanks for the correction, edit function has gone!

Not sure where I got 2.5m from, probably some ancient memory of UK regs.

I was advised yesterday that the 25 sq. m limit can be exceed without planning if the structure is considered "temporary". Supposedly my shed would qualify as it is of similar construction as the one shown below.

Can anyone shed any light on this? Thanks.

You've been advised wrong.

"Temporary" status has no legal bearing in Irish domestic planning law.

That's typical bar stool talk

• Registered Users Posts: 6,717 ✭✭✭Tow

Was the advisor selling sheds for a living?

You can do anything you want once the neighbours don't complain. My neighbours went to war over a shed, well they were at war before hand. That's were my advice about the 25sqm limit being the external measurement comes from. Actuall hard limits imposed by the County Council inspector. Told to me by the lad who was very narked at having to chop 30% off his newly finish shed.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,745 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Was this meant to be a Pun ?

If so well played.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,867 ✭✭✭✭muffler

This is also my reply. Saves me the bother of typing a longer response.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,867 ✭✭✭✭muffler

You're getting the planning exemptions mixed up. This thread is about a garden shed and not an extension. There are different requirements relating to both in order to render them exempt.

Edit: Post no. 10 above should have been quoted with this post. Seems like there are more glitches with Vanilla.

Post edited by muffler on

I’m thinking now that I will just proceed with the 35 sq. m shed. The worst that can happen is that I am forced to chop 10 sq. m off the end of it. With the method of construction I am using that would not be too difficult. Besides the chances of any neighbor complaining is practically zero.

you could always apply for planning permission. you would have no problem getting it if youve a decent sized garden

• Registered Users Posts: 10,552 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Whether you're rural or urban or in between may be relevant, from neighbourly pov. Workshop may imply noise but if DIY workshop, hardly an issue.

From a practical pov, an issue may arise if/ when you go to sell. In which case, allow for that it might have to be knocked or modified then.

It mustn't be living accommodation and of course, as above planning is legally required.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,928 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

A temporary structure would be something like a tent or gazebo I would think. A for sale sign or wooden hording around your house during construction is temporary. I can't see yours being temporary especially if you plan to have plumbing & electrics going to it

• Registered Users Posts: 23,327 ✭✭✭✭ted1

losing 10sqm between outside and inside. How thick are the walls?

how much garden will

You have left? Some councils require you to have X open space

• Registered Users Posts: 23,327 ✭✭✭✭ted1

It’s not really an issue till to you try and sell

I understand that but the planning department would agree

• Registered Users Posts: 6,364 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

OP hope you don't mind me jumping on your thread but an odd question sprung to mind over the mention of "Temporary Structure".

Is a polytunnel a Temporary Structure? Does a large polytunnel need PP?

Many smaller polytunnels are temporary as they have no foundations other than metal tubes in the ground but as they get bigger some are far more permanent with bases that are concreted in.

Wake me up when it's all over.

….maybe, but I don’t think so.
    However I will seek professional advice. The company that I work for employs a number of architects. I will post the response I get here.

I do not believe that poly tunnels need planning

Just like I don’t believe that portakabins need planning.

I was reminded by a colleague (I work for an engineering consultancy) that many of our clients (generally large pharmaceutical companies) have substantial “temporary structures” that did not require planning. These include large switch rooms and workshops.

Anyway, as above I will seek professional advice.

Thanks for the responses.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,247 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement

The construction forum might be a better option for advice rather than DIY

Advertisement