Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland Senior Hurling Championship 2024 (Munster And Leinster Championships,Liam McCarthy Cup)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

This GAAGO is terrible for hurling. God be with the days when Sky were getting it in the neck for showing hurling . They delivered a fantastic product . I think we ll never know the true story of why the GAA sunk that partnership but we can all guess there was a GAAGO plan hatching in the backround . Because the Munster Championship is so big it's being used as a support for GAAGO. Terrible.

The Leinster and Munster Championship shouldn't even be compared. Totally different standards of competition. We should just cherish Munster and accept Leinster. If Kilkenny were invited into the Munster Championship then it would be the Premier hurling competition..miles bigger than the All Ireland series which even now is borderline a lesser competition than the Munster Championship right now

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭C__MC

The condensed season is why SKY parted ways

• Registered Users Posts: 38,010 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭TheSunIsShining

I'm not a hurling guy. But why not just bite the bullet and make Munster and Leinster equal Conferences by drawing or seeding the teams across the two of them. Something like two five team Divisions. Play home and away so 8 games each. Qualify two teams from each straight to semi-finals to get rid of pointless knockouts as exist now. Come up with a relegation scenario - maybe bottom two teams in each go to relegation semis to make sure teams have something to play for until the very end. Losers go to relegation final etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

because then you lose the best competition we have in The GAA and there’s no guarantees the other competition would draw crowds. It would be a mad mad risk. Plain stupid

A bird in hand is better than two in the bush. If one provincial can work, the rest can work.

• Advertisement

But right now, as I understand it, 5 of the top 7 teams are in one qualifying competition - how is that not stupid?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

But who cares as long as we have a proper, close competition? What are we going to do? Create a competition that's less competitive? Take away all the history and derbies away? The all ireland series doesn't even guarantee close competition.

I genuinely don't know. And like I said, hurling isn't my first sport. But the current approach seems hugely unbalanced - I think 9 out of ten times, the 4th, or even the 5th team in Munster would finish top 3 in Leinster and qualify. And that doesn't seem equitable?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭irelandrover

I really dont see how it matters. If you have an open draw between the provinces then you just have easy games in both provincial competitions, and the same teams getting to the final 4 anyway. Its just reorganising the deck chairs on the titanic. The only way to improve is to increase the amount of competitive teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,787 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

There's no way they'll rid of the Munster Championship.

I suppose the hope in Leinster is that Dublin can kick on and get more competitive. They're not far away just missing 2 or 3 top class players.

Then they'll want the fans to support it. Attendances have been very poor so far in Leinster.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

But it does matter surely? It's a big advantage for a team to be in Leinster rather than in Munster in terms of qualifying?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭BQQ

Fairest thing would be top 2 in each province qualify and rest play off against each other

3rd in Munster vs 4th in Leinster and vice versa

Whichever is stronger will have more teams through to AI series in that scenario

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭robbiezero

The 4th and 5th team might be good enough to come out of Leinster but they almost certainly arent going to be good enough to win the AI, the vast majority of times.

It is lopsided but the best team in the country has win the AI every year of it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

I'll preface this by saying no set up will keep everyone happy and the cream will rise to the top regardless . And i think an open draw is the only way to have real change. However....

If we kept the same provincial set up but everyone play each other twice..then the top 2 in each group play each other in all Ireland semis. Maybe winner of munster final v loses of Leinster

The sacred munster championship is still intact and if a team is not good enough to be in the top 2 after 8 games then they are simply not good enough.

IIn Leinster the perceived stronger teams have to be tuned in over a longer period to make the top 2

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭letsseehere14

Got to catch up on the games I havnt seen. Its great that both championships have it all to play for but god almighty 4 of the 5 games in Munster have been contentious.

I will openly admit that we could have had at least 1 of our goals against Clare called as a square ball.

Cork v Waterford you had a very very soft penalty and black card followed by a red that was also very soft.

Cork v Clare again a bit of a question over the referee.

And then Tipp v Waterford which I can only say for 50 minutes was one of the most biased refereeing performances I have ever seen where all 3 of Waterfords goals could have been ruled out a Tipp should have had one of their own. And only then when the damage was done did he make calls in Tipps favour.

Nett winners out of all this has been Waterford with Tipp and Cork they losers. I think Davy can count himself a very lucky man after the first 2 rounds, but think his luck may have run out. And thats not taking from the fact Waterford have been good.

In Leinster, I expect the minds of many have been focused over the last 2 weekends and wouldn't expect any more shocks as a result. Although its hard to know where exactly Wexford and Galway actually are.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,914 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Square balls are hard to call and even though I think the Cork reds were harsh they are in the moment decisions. You just have to get over them at the end of the day.

A bit more annoying is stuff like the disallowed Hayes goal where the ref didn't even try talking to his umpires. That is a procedural which refs can learn from.

But really the only one so far that people can really feel 100% robbed over was Owens running in front of the penalty. One thing to commit the brain fart but to not own up to it is one of the worst decisions I can remember.

Just on the refs .rather than having intercounty refs as linesmen in the big games should they be umpires.

Lines man is a simple job.run up and down and see who the ball hit last before going out..if even 1 umpire on either end is a qualified ref rather than an elderly man who seems to not see much they could keep an eye on square balls/off the ball niggles/penalties etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

do you honestly think a referee at inter county level goes into a game with biased intent….? They make ‘mistakes’ that will drive the team and fans on the receiving end mental but to say that there is a deliberate biased-ness (not sure it this is a word) is being deluded

Pretty sure the umpires job is ill defined. They seem to only get involved when they feel like it.

I agree they should be just as active and empowered part of the team as the rest of the officials.

Maybe if there was a ref doing umpire the ref on the day might be more inclined to ask his opinion and get him involved..hard to know..at the end of the day being a ref is a thankless job and there will always be a few dodgy decisions but I can't really remember a game where looking back on it after with cooler blood that the ref affected the result

• Advertisement

regarding Owens and the penalty last Saturday…..don’t actually know what he was trying to do/achieve…..doubt if it was a deliberate attempt to put off the goalie or bennett…..he probably should have got it retaken……in any case I doubt the result would have been any different as in bennett would still have scored it. To suggest Tipperary were ‘robbed’ as a result of it is way OTT

It's not about them being "robbed" or not for me it was just an incredibly bizarre series of mistakes from Owens that can't be written off as "split second" or 50/50 the way 99% of on field decisions are.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭letsseehere14

If youve ever played even club hurling at an level from u16 upwards youd know the answer to that is yes, bias is definetly a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,010 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Antrim could really shake up the Leinster Championship this weekend. A win against Dublin will put them in a great spot of qualification given they have to play Carlow the last day. Potentially winner takes all games Kilkenny vs Wexford and Galway vs Dublin in round 5

I’ve played many u16 and club games and there are always rumours about biased refs and being robbed etc but at inter-county level you can’t be saying that refs are going out to ‘do’ a particular team…?

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Triboro

For taking the penalty, is it one umpire stands behind the net and the other stands on the end line at one post and the ref then stands on the opposite side to cover the other post yes? Looks like the ref found himself on the wrong side and ran to where he should be!

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭siyo

I keep hearing this penalty thing from Hogans perspective but what about Stephen Bennett, half the goal was cut off by Owens making that late run across him. Would there be as much of a furore if the penalty had been saved or missed?

Safe to dance

Well it's safe to dance

Yes, it's safe to dance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Good idea…. as you said, it’s much more important to get umpiring decisions right than whose line ball it is….most of the time anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Rosita

Very very strange issue to raise since it was actually scored so Bennett's disadvantage is not relevant. I'd say there'd have been far more of a furore if it had been saved because the expectation is that a penalty will be scored.

Fwiw I'd didn't see the match or even the highlights so don't have the full context but the video of the penalty has been floating around.

Advertisement