Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland Senior Hurling Championship 2024 (Munster And Leinster Championships,Liam McCarthy Cup)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

well in fairness ,its far better then being stuck in traffick for 3 hours to get to the actual venue , i prefer limerick above both cork and thurles but thurles has a serious atmosphere

to back up your argument today i parked on the holycross road and came up through the houses at the back of the old stand , you can see the commentary boxes have been rusted to death

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭moby2101

where were you in traffic for 3 hours??
    genuine question?

I was in PUC for Limerick match and we were back in limerick @ at 10.30 having a pint in Souths…

PUC is the 3rd best Stadium in Ireland after Croker and Landsdowne Rd, its a pleasure to go to a match there.
    Thurles is a nice town, major improvement but Semple Stadium is the same dilapidated structure it was 30 years ago

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,686 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Semple is badly in need of upgrading, in so many ways.

But you cannot beat Thurles for a big game.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,490 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Haha do you actually think players at elite level are getting tested? You truly believe no players are taking PEDs so?

Get real if you think all are clean

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Seadin

Nothing is guaranteed in sport but they must drive on now and make it possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Knockdromin

Well actually yes I know for a fact that players are tested.

Also, you must have imagined the part where I said all players are clean. Either that or you can’t read but I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,490 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I for a fact don’t know of one player that has been tested. Have been involved with club and Intercounty setups (and Intervarsity) for 8+ years now. Hurling & Football.

Not one player tested

• Registered Users Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭howiya

We're going off topic a bit but 167 tests conducted in 2023

https://www.sportireland.ie/anti-doping-Annual-Report-2023

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭I see sheep

Mod Edit

Warning issued.

Post edited by ShamoBuc on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭Glenomra

Could be clare v kilkenny semifinal for third year in a row unless we win Munster when the prize becomes Cork in the semifinal....unless

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭C4000

Mod Edit

Warning issued.

Post edited by ShamoBuc on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Rosita

Amazing you've never heard of it when, for example, the case of Aidan O'Mahony failing a test was such big news back in the day. In fairness, it's a new fresh angle of attack on Limerick which is something novel I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,863 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Jesus Christ some people can't take a baitin. Limerick are a fantastic team, they are mortal and could be bet, but this thing if going on about refs and rules and money and doping, Jesus it's pathetic, and it's the exact same **** we used to hear from people about kk when we were on top. Someone will find a way to beat them, just like tipp did with us. In the meantime have a bit of dignity.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,331 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Unless it's pisssing rain like 2 years ago and the towns lack of ability to cater for 45,000 people becomes apparent. I'de take a city over it any day for a big game even if the walk to the stadium is longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭rubbledoubledo

Couldn’t agree with you any more , this talk would wear you down , started of with JP then money then refs , now were on to drugs , pathetic isn’t the name

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭Glenomra

Limerick supporters should take this nonsense as a compliment as many people cannot accept the emergence of a new power in hurling. It happened to us in the 1990s but unfortunately the great Ger Loughnane, a true great, allowed us to become distracted by the 'noise' and we failed to win as many titles as we should have had. I believe that John Kiely learnt lessons from that time and he has succeeded superbly in keeping Limerick focussed on their objective, winning as many titles as they can while they have the opportunity. Meanwhile Thurles beckons where the Mighty Banner will roar again!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Montys return

Phenomenal team Limerick, another masterclass in athleticism and soaked up the breaks all day long in their own backline. Misfired first half but when it was there to be won, they nailed everything.

Generational talents, it's mad to be saying it so soon after Kilkennys great team but this looks this best I've seen. Hopefully, when they go, we'll get a break from the periods of dominance from one team that have been too common the last 20 years.

Proud of our lads efforts this year after being written off, just needed one more score in the Tipp or Clare games to go our way to progress. Not to be unfortunately, would like to see Clare win it from here of the more realistic contenders.

Finally, and this is not necessarily directed at anyone in particular, humility in victory is a lot easier than humility in defeat. A few would do well to remember that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭randd1

On the "four teams" debate, I'm actually warming to it, but with caveats.

• No Joe McDonagh teams in the championship. Harsh maybe, but in the main it simply hasn't worked. Replace them with the 4th placed teams in Munster/Leinster.
    • 3rd placed in Munster gets a home game against the 4th in Leinster, and vice versa.
    • Winners of those games go to the AIQF's, whereby the losing Provincial finalists are given home QF's against the winners of the preliminary playoff.

So it would be that;

• Provincials Winners = AI Semi-Final = 2 games to win AI
    • Provincial Runner-Up = AI Quarter final in home ground = 3 games to win AI, 1 home game
    • Provincial 3rd Place = Playoff at home against 4th of other province = 4 games to win AI, 1 home/1 away game
    • Provincial 4th Place = Playoff away to 3rd of other province = 4 games to win AI, 2 away games

So doing as well as you can in the province really matters, the AI series becomes a minefield, no games at neutral grounds so should make for better atmosphere, more of a reward for getting to the provincial final (either SF or home QF) as an extra spur in the province, and the worse you do in the province the harder the path to the AI.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Yeah, two very different teams- my sense is that Limerick have more depth and consistency than that KK had. But obviously KK had phenomenal players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭irelandrover

You do not deserve to get through if you come 4th in a 5 team league.

Its rewarding failure instead of the current situation that rewards the success of winning the MCdonagh cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭randd1

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Takeyourpoints

Wouldn't normally post but just on the discussion about 4 teams getting through in each group, I think it's madness. In that situation you could potentially have a situation where the 4th team might have lost 3 games and drawn with the team in 5th but just had a better score difference. Imagine a team getting to an all Ireland semi final having lost 3 games already and yet to win one in the round robin.

Jeopardy is the word that people have used and I couldn't agree more. If the 4th place teams had been safe yesterday we would have had a situation where in Leinster the top 4 teams knew they were safe and that the Leinster final was bonus territory. Similarly in Munster, Cork, Clare and Limerick would have already been safe with Waterford just trying to keep the deficit to under 30 points to finish ahead of Tipperary on score difference.

To those saying that the Joe Mc winners and runners up shouldn't be in the championship, I agree with that as well, especially the runners up, it makes little sense. Add to the fact that they normally play so soon after the JMcD final and they don't even get to fully celebrate that. The exception of course was Laois a few years ago when they went on a run with Eddie Brennan in charge and performed decently against Tipp in the quarter final until they ran out of steam/Tipp upped it. That was the exception though and there have and will be more hammerings than close games and it's another game for a genuine contender to pick up injuries.

Lastly, it would be a formality (no offence to the bottom Leinster team) but if we are looking at fairness, the bottom team in each provincial championship should be playing each other in a relegation play off. I understand that it could potentially throw a spanner in the works for the Munster championship that we all love to watch but if they are so far ahead of Leinster then they should prove it. I understand this is probably a controversial thought for the hurling community and happy to be told as much!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Not made with hands

Wouldnt work. For starts you would end up with loads of provincial games that nobody would bother going to.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,352 ✭✭✭bren2001

Why even bother to run Leinster? The four teams will be KK, Galway, Wexford, Dublin 99% of the time.

Beating Carlow and Antrim gets you into a preliminary AI QF? I don't think I'd bother to watch Leinster.

In Munster, 9 games to eliminate 1 team. Whats the point?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

Was taking a look at previous Munster finals between Limerick and Clare. They have met in eight finals. Limerick really have been dominant winning seven times to Clare's solitary win back in 1995. For such a big rivalry it is pretty much one way traffic. Clare need this one more than Limerick imo. Easier said than done of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

You have to go back to 1959 -1961 for the last county to lose three Munster finals on the spin and that was Cork. Cork were also the first county to lose three in a row 1896 -1898. Tipp have done it once '52-'54 but Limerick have the unwanted record of losing four Munster finals in a row back in 1943 - 1947.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,331 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Limerick lost 6 in 5 years after being so dominant the decade before. Feels like a real sliding doors moment where we lose 6 finals and watch Tipp and Cork sail away to become the big 2.

68-70 was the last time the same 2 teams met 3 years in a row and 51-54 had 4 in a row. All Cork Vs Tipp as you would expect. Seems to be pretty rare but meeting back to back very common.

An interesting one is Cork in 41 who became the first All Ireland champions to have lost the provincial final (which was played late due to foot & mouth)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

I dunno - first team to win 5 in a row is a pretty big motivation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,860 ✭✭✭endainoz

I doubt Limerick care more about 5 in a row for Munster compared to 5 in a row all Ireland's, could be wrong though. Winning Munster is a huge deal for Clare though, 26 years is a long time to wait for it.

Advertisement