Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you still like stuff from your childhood?

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

You are correct, I was talking about the OTTD -

Crazy that it's still being updated but I guess model train people tend to be a bit obsessive, so why not digital model train people too eh?

What other strategy games do you play? I wouldn't mind trying a new one of getting back into an oldie.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Declan05

John Morrison was the puppeteer behind Dustin the Turkey but being behind a puppet meant he was anonymous to the general public and could more easily disparage people or groups. Admittedly it was a 'comedy' routine but I think he crossed a few lines that he wouldn't have crossed if his face and identity were generally known, a bit like some people here or on Reddit - yes, I'm aware of the irony. 

As you say "they were getting away with saying things at 3 in the afternoon that I don't think you'd get away with saying on TV at any time of day or night, now" - and the latter is a good thing imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,543 ✭✭✭✭briany

That's generally how it is with comedy characters. Their opinions and speech would be more outrageous than the real person portraying them. You certainly wouldn't get away with it now, but if Davis was OK with those barbs at the time, I don't think anyone need retroactively cancel Dustin or whatever. Just of its time.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Declan05

True but being a puppet gives an extra level of anonymity and distance that being just an ordinary comedy character doesn't afford. The fact that Davis may have been ok with it is well and good but Davis could have been seen as representative of overweight people in general and barbs about his weight seen as being against all overweight people. As you say, it was of its time and nobody needs to retroactively cancel Dustin but it should be looked at more critically than it was before.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,166 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Just stuck the first one on there after maybe a decade? and was surprised to see it really does hold up well, just as an actual movie even if you can't get into the childish wonder element. Especially compared to some of the absolute bombs that get the big release nowadays.

I'd forgotten just how insanely stacked the cast was even at that point, I mean christ Alan Rickman, Robbie Coltrane, Richard Harris, Maggie Smith and Julie Walters then add Michael Gambon, Brendan Gleeson, Gary Oldman, David Thewlis, Emma Thompson, Imelda Staunton, Helena Bonham Carter, Ralph Fiennes, Jason Isaac etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement