Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you still like stuff from your childhood?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭SupaCat95

Airfix and Hornby are the one company. Would have love to have had them as toys as a child.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,164 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Robbie Coltrane hit the nail on the head imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Comics. I absolutely adored them.

Don't see them much nowadays but if I come across one, joy😁

I suppose magazines are a poor substitute 😉

Never get margolyes. That woman is carrying a lot of emotional baggage. Has to come out somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭laketreeroger

i agree with what she said and don’t think it’s particularly outrageous, I was obsessed with Harry Potter and I now still like it , but the type to have a Harry Potter themed wedding, that’s odd. It’s a free country and all that but people are also entitled think that’s odd. Video games are okay now but I loved them as a child , same with any tv show, movie I loved, still like them but it’s diluted.

I was given Airfix kits, one visiting in-law relative used always bring them to me, lived even she visited. Had terrific collection at one time.

However my mother said Hornby trains were waaay too expensive. I loved the detail in them. She knew if I got one or two pieces I’d want lots and it would eat away from the tight family budget. I have a relative who has collected Hornby since young, use to send him a few bits at Christmas etc. As an adult he is a serious collector, and can drive vintage trains.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Many of the Gerry Anderson Sci-Fi productions are still watchable for me :

Thunderbirds, Captain Scarlet (original puppet version), Joe 90 and then the live action series UFO and Space 1999 - absolute classics from childhood that bring back happy memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭Archeron

If sugar puffs were still around in their original incarnation, I'd eat my bodyweight in them every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

I’ve just spent two hours chuckling at Scooby Doo!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,261 ✭✭✭Tork

Did you happen to be partaking in the same refreshments as the characters in the cartoon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,017 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I still find myself looking at Attitude Era WWE videos on youtube.

Especially when Stone Cold Steve Austin returns to save them from the invasion. Chills.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,544 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Strange flavour off the dodi these days, but we'll worth the trot out.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭bmc58

A roast potato on a slice of bread with lots of butter and salt before the dinner is ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭csirl

I still eat fish fingers for dinner somerimes. Handy when you need to make a quick meal. Even my own kids arw starting to grow out of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭appledrop

Don't forget about the licorice pipes aswell, I used to adore them!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Lego

Technics Lego

Remote Controlled vehicles

Cycling

Pitch n Putt

Older Jackie Chan movies

Terminator 1 and 2

Mint Aero

Nerds, Runts, Dweebs

Crisp sandwiches

Beans on toast

Space Cadet Pinball (Windows) and real pinball

Street Fighter II and Mortal Kombat

Doom 2 and Quake 1, 2, and 3.

Railroad Tycoon (There is a free opensource download now)

Command And Conquer (also a free version available)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

To be fair, most of those don't count as childish things. Terminator movies came with an 18's cert :)

I think the Doom games did too :)

I think the OP was talking about stuff specifically aimed at kids. I still play loads of computer games. But I don't play games aimed at kids. I might play Call of Duty but I'm not playing Paw Patrol.

I think Lego is the only thing in your list that's for kids but Lego also make kits aimed at adults. My sister bought me Van Gogh's Starry night lego kit. I can't imagine many kids being happy to get that for xmas.

But to get to what the Op said. I was never into Harry Potter. And I never understood adults who were. It always seemed weird queuing for books at midnight. But to each their own. I once went to a midnight launch of a COD game which a lot of people might find weird.

I am trying to get back into stuff that I did as a kid. It's all part of an effort to spend more time away from a screen. So I bought a small lego kit of flowers. I'm currently building a LED light cube from a kit I bought on amazon. I used to to miniature painting for Warhammer games. So I'm going to start painting miniatures again. If anyone has suggestions for other things to try that's they're getting back into, please stick them here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

I think what she was referring to was possibly the level of obsession some people have with Harry Potter as adults in like having their wedding fully themed or something along those lines. I would find that a bit strange, no matter what it was in regards.

As for childish things I still do - I also love colouring & while I like some of the more intricate stuff aimed at adults, simple pictures are sometimes nicer & more freeing to do as they don't take as much time or effort. I also still make Lego.

Some of my hobbies are probably the same around crafting but maybe just the complexity of the project has increased with age.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

I'm drawn to lots of things from my youth.

Big collection of graphic novels 2000 ad mainly.

Lego mainly starwars

Retro gaming Sega Nintendo PlayStation

Love watching 80,90s cartoons.

Jesus I need to grow up !

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭taxAHcruel

I guess people who have such themed wedding can have all kinds of reasons for doing so. Some reasons are weird. Some less so. For example one less weird reason for it is wanting to celebrate who you are, and what made you who you are. And the Harry Potter books were transformative for quite a lot of children. They got more from it than merely a story about magic wands and fantasy battles. It taught them about friendships, acceptance of being an "other", loyalty, and more. The foundations for your personal identity and values today can have all kinds of sources.

I myself was strongly transformed by Frank Herbert's book Dune. I like to acknowledge that in small ways in my life. I also had a Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy themed party for my 42nd birthday. Though slightly delayed because of Covid Times.

But when you really think about it - is a wedding theme around Harry Potter any less (or more) ridiculous than a theme around a bronze aged Zombie who wants you to celebrate him by eating his flesh and drinking his blood? :)

I think Adult Coloring is a great option though. While I took a nostalgic side swipe at a Boards User who was very comically irate about it and saw it as infantalism and arrested adult development and so forth - being more serious it can be an access to mindfulness, flow, relaxation, play and more in adults and can have great benefits. Benefits that are not going to be open to the kind of closed mind that assumes that anything that is predominantly done by children must by definition therefore be childish or immature - or show that your development has been arrested in some way.

Play is a wonderful thing. Even in adults. Because it allows you to experiment and, more importantly perhaps, to fail. Failure is a big part of well being and the creative process and more. And play of all kinds can harness that. Coloring and lego are great examples.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,603 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I still like robbing apples from my neighbour's orchard. They would give me some if I asked but I'd prefer to jump the wall and rob them.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,052 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Not tv anyway, we didn't have one till I was about 11 and then it was black and white and my dad used watch Sgt Bilko and Dixon and cowboy films to an obsessive level - it seemed like that to me anyway. Still not bothered. Not a film/cartoon fan either.

Things that did stay with me though. Reading - my mother used say I would read the back of the cornflakes box if there was nothing else (books not allowed at the table). It wasn't entirely approved of as it wasn't 'doing something'. I still get through at least a couple of books a week, novels, easy reading.

Messing about with a hammer and nails and a hacksaw, making stuff mostly from plywood. Still do it though the equipment has got a bit more sophisticated and the projects a bit bigger.

Sewing, still do that too. Into embroidery and slow stitching at the moment. Started making doll clothes when I was 7 or 8, making my own clothes on the treadle machine around 12.

Crafty/diy stuff generally, starting with kits and building sets and moving on to household and other stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,543 ✭✭✭✭briany

A lot of things which were made for kids back in the day actually had a lot of adult overtones to them. That's understandable, considering that they were almost exclusively made by adults who were in part amusing themselves. Things like Animaniacs, you'd only cop about 50 percent of the cultural references when you were 9, which made them fun to rewatch at, say, 25.

When I think back to shows like The Den, they were getting away with saying things at 3 in the afternoon that I don't think you'd get away with saying on TV at any time of day or night, now. Stuff like 'fat-shaming' Derek Davis by calling him 'hippo-head', or Dustin calling Irish a 'foreign language'. Almost anything went. I think that Zag was reported to have accidentally blurted out, "Oh for fúck sake!" when when one phone-in child was taking too long on an answer.

Some old computer games really hold up, as well. Things like Tetris were infamous for being played more by the parents than the kids when they first came out, so there is obviously some cross-generational appeal going on.

I think one thing from my childhood that I got a really big kick out of as an adult - was in building a treehouse for my own kids. I channeled a lot of things from my childhood into how I went about that project.

I really injected the spirit of things like "Fatty and the Three investigators" into it. Those children had a "hideout" clubhouse thing which was inside a huge mobile home trailer which was concealed by stacks of garbage in a junk yard. And they could access it using secret passages and entrances embedded through the junk.

This spirit of getting away from the world and the adult and having their complete secret really captured my childhood brain and I loved injecting that spirit into the treehouse that I built my kids. It was a real labor of love and nostalgia that project.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

What about completely spacing out in the office imagining to foil a bank robbery.

What a lot of people here, including me, have mentioned is building stuff. As kids we got to do it all the time with lego, Plasticine and other kits. The same goes for drawing and painting. You're still making something. And there's a lot of satisfaction that comes from building/making something. However some stuff like building a chair is considered more adult than making lego. painting a picture is more adult than painting a figuring of a dwarf or elf. Hell, painting a miniature of a napoleon era soldier for table top battles is more adult than painting a fantasy miniature and you're basically doing the same thing.

If I had space (and time and money) I might even build a train set.

I collect watches and I'm thinking of building my own. You can buy the movement and case etc desperately Seperately and assemble. It's probably very adult (and nerdy) but it's still just building something.

edited for a spell check error :)

Your train set comment reminded me of something I always wanted to do but never got around to. And given the sheer number of things I currently do in my life I probably never will.

But as a kid I saw the movie Bettlejuice. And in the start of that movie the main couple have married and moved to a dream house in a small town. And the husband in the attic started to build a complete scale down model of that town.

Always wanted to do that since that moment as a kid.

That's the intro scene before you realize the camera has been over the model town all the time. 30+ years later and it still stays with me. As does the sexual awakening Winona Ryder instilled in me :)

I've just made a fish finger sambo - lovely!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

I still watch The Simpsons up to season 12ish, Futurama, Family Guy still game on the XBOX, recently watched a few youtube vids of old Commodore 64 games.

Advertisement