Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you still like stuff from your childhood?

Options
  • 16-03-2024 12:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 30,186 ✭✭✭✭

In the past week Miriam Margolyes who stared in Harry Potter said adult fans should be over it by now and she faced some backlash for it.

Whilst I might enjoy the odd thing from time to time I wouldn't be obsessed with things from my childhood.

Do you still like stuff from your childhood?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Margolyes from her appearances on panel shows and as a talking head and ‘personality’ on various other programs is a kind of rent a wind up and a lot really that is conveyed by her is done so quite dramatically and tongue in cheek, she’s a bit of a career ‘wink wink WUM’ just seeking a reaction and of course that lot, they are everywhere nowadays…id take whatever comes out of her mouth with a pinch of salt…

from my childhood I still enjoy..gaming… a lot less inclined these days but as a teen the megadrive was never switched off hardly..still give the PS5 the odd spin…

sports… soccer, cricket I still enjoy as much… or probably more……used to like athletics, swimming and tennis but I dunno, not the same pull these days..the endemic nature of doping is kinda taking the shine away, still enjoy Gaelic football, a good hurling match is enjoyable too..

Reading, I buy books and download them… could go months reading nothing, but then get into something…always procuring and enjoying music..

Post edited by Strumms on

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭tom traubert

Yes.

The Muppet Show.

Question asked, question answered 😁.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

Chief Windup Merchant is that lady's role. I loved the first Harry Potter film which took me into the books and I got ahead of the movies. I was having a hard time at school as an overweight 11 year old boy and the excitement of the escape when the newest Harry Potter book came out is unforgettable to this day 2 decades later. Read it in two days as was the case for every book till the series was finished.

Year or two later I got into road cycling. Work and family commitments mean I don't get out on two wheels that often nowadays. Confident in saying that I'm the only adult that didnt race with me in my adolescence that will tune into the Tour de France or Paris Roubaix. There is certainly nothing wrong with holding onto your obsessions as a child/teen into your later years.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,186 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I could watch an episode of Scooby-Doo.

There was one mini movie called Zombie-Island that petrified me as a seven year old.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

Scooby Doo is fantastic. I still try and introduce it to the kids in the family along with Tom and Jerry.

Had great success with The Fellowship of the Ring movie with the 5 year olds in the family until the Black Riders turned up 20 minutes into the movie and terrified them haha.

The new Wonka movie is pretty damn good, 4 out of 4 children loved it here and I thought it did Roald Dahl justice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Coyote and Road Runner.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,747 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Bit part actress who whinges about not being paid more in cry for attention.

Not into HP but if it makes grown adults who cosplay as schoolchildren happy, let them off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

I still like a bit of colouring in from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭taxAHcruel

Heh the adult coloring seriously annoys at least one Boards User who springs to mind :) So much so he invented "research" against it but when asked to cite said research he spent many a long post dodging the request in vaious and steadily funnier ways.

As for liking things from childhood - having kids means a good excuse to go back and do things from childhood again with them. Some things I have done this with have been great. Lego and other toys (I sourced some old Starcom toys for them when they were young). Certain TV shows I remember. Games. Movies.

Sometimes though its a disaster. You can have a great memory of something and when you repeat it as an adult its awful and you ruin the memory. So it's quite a lottery.

Post edited by taxAHcruel on

I still enjoy climbing trees.

I tried getting into rock climbing as a respectable alternative but it's just not the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Top Cat - one of the great cartoon series - never gets old

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

She should go back to whackin off homeless people or whatever hilarious anecdote she reveals on every Norton show

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭SupaCat95

Oh where to begin?

Ullysses 31

Mysterious cities of Gold

Battle Action Force

GI Joe

Reilly Ace of Spies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭halkar

Hmm the childhood, our TVs were black and white but our life was colourful. I miss everything

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Alonzo Mosley

Yes - Battle of the Planets

No - Radiomulsion

• Registered Users Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭suvigirl

I love a bit of colouring in!

And actual kids colouring books, none of your adult nonsense. I want to colour tractors and fields and huge butterflies😁

@Alonzo Mosley I@alonzI can barely remember Battle of the Planets but I remember Mark Tiny and KeyOp.

Last summer had a find. A nicely boxed italian set of DVDs.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

She most likely said that about harry potter as a way of taking a pop at JK Rowling, she's the woke mafia type

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

I still like

The Goonies

The Sinbad movies ( granted they were made years before I was born)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Alonzo Mosley

• Registered Users Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Packs of sweet cigarettes - nothing cooler 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 3,261 ✭✭✭Tork

Maybe people should be over Miriam Margoyles by now? She's a professional attention-seeker who's not half as edgy or hilarious as she thinks she is.

Definitely some things I’d still enjoy from when I was a young wan.

Battle of the planets in Japanese and Italien

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

On holidays in a seaside town in the north west of ireland. Me, 9 and my younger sister with my parents.

Well, the weather was 5hyte, incessant rain. All guest house residents either stuck in the lounge or their bedrooms.

And Then....

Shouted in the foyer and up the stairs by the Waitress -

"The MUPPET SHOW is NOW ON in the LOUNGE!!!"

kids come runnin from the bedrooms.

Now that was family entertainment for everyone. Kids got to see Kermit the frog and Ms Piggy. The adults got to see their favourite film stars and singers.

It was wholesome fun and not dumb stuff like Ant and dec and the Xfactor. That is paraded before us as family viewing.

Times were happier back then.

Why is she doing it is the question? I know Harry Potter is over but there is a next generation of Fans who would love to see her at conventions. Well there was... Silly bint cut off her own nose to spite her face.

For God sake Dirk Benedict (Face ateam/ Starbuck Battle star Gallactica) and Mr T are still dining out on 40 year old shows. Wasnt Dirk on Podge and Rodge a few years back?

Airfix airplanes and cars, Freeform Lego that I could create stuff with out of my imagination, model cars, planes, Hornby trains that I never got. Anything to do with model making.

• Advertisement

I can taste them now and feel the texture as I bite through with my incisors.

Advertisement