Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

European Parliament Elections 2024 - Friday, June 7th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,016 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

That RTE debate last night was a shambles.

• Ming came across well in the beginning but in the second half he kept interrupting people which was irritating.
    • Peter Casey was a shambles. He looked like someone who'd wandered in off the street and somehow ended up on the stage and was about as coherent. So much nonsense from him but I think my favourite was at one stage he was asked about the Russia-Ukraine war and instead started talking about a "3 state solution" for Israel-Palestine.
    • Peadar Toibin didn't seem to get much air time and when he did Barry Cowen seemed to keep trying to butt in on him.
    • Maria Walsh didn't seem to have a great night either - seemed to be recycling a lot of pre-planned soundbites in an obvious way and had to state that she'd be supporting her EPP colleague von der Leyen as President of the Commission. Also ended up talking about the need for gender quotas for European elections when asked about a previous remark that the EP was "male, pale and stale".
    • The Sinn Fein and Green candidates seemed to be anonymous and not confident speakers when they got the opportunity to speak
    • Saoirse McHugh didn't have a good answer for why she was even running again and had the air of someone whose heart wasn't in it. She did get the line of the night though when she called Casey a clown.
    • The moderation/format was terrible - ended up several times with a bunch of people talking over each other

Overall very uninspiring. The likes of Nina Carberry, Ciaran Mullooly and Lisa Chambers, who didn't even make the cut may have been the real winners here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,707 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Ming gave the impression of being the most on top of his brief for the debate - but as you said, his constant interrupting as well as his whinging whenever someone else interrupted him could well have grated on some people.

Cowen had the air of someone who was pissed off at having to share the stage with other people - just came across as a bit belligerent.

I thought Walsh was very quiet, and seemed lacking in confidence whenever she did speak. Very odd for someone who's been in office for the past 5 years.

Casey seemed confused by the whole thing - it was like he had a checklist of points to make given to him by a handler, but he didn't understand them or even understand what points related to what question.

Agree that McHugh gave the sense of someone who was running for the sake of it. She couldn't really articulate herself what she was hoping to achieve - other than keep slapping Casey down.

MacManus not speaking too much was the best outcome for SF - he's not the brightest spark and is liable to dig himself into a hole. SF complain about nepotism in other parties, but MacManus is as bad an example of it as anyone else. Riding on the coat-tails of daddy, and the memory of his brother.

I thought Toibin was let off very lightly when asked about his intention to contest the next GE. Voting for Peadar is really voting for his sister - but they know she's not capable of actually winning a seat herself.

O'Reilly came across as the cookie-cutter green candidate prototype. Polite and well-meaning, but soft. Gave the distinct impression that she's just running because the Greens need to run someone.

I thought Hannon was a bit of a disaster as a host/moderator. Missed lots of obvious follow-up questions; constantly allowed candidates to soapbox on unrelated issues instead of addressing the questions asked and really struggled to control things.

This isn't for candidates but a tool for comparing your own beliefs and values to the parties. I gave it a bash and it seems to have lined up pretty much where I expected to be

https://ireland.isidewith.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Miharo

I think these polls will turn out to be way off just like the referendum. Would be shocked if Niall Boylans vote turns out that low. He's not part of the political establishment who there is a lot of anger out there for right now, has a public profile, the anti illegal immigration sentiment will see him pick up votes while not being as unpalatable to a lot if people as Dwyer or Heasman.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

I’m in this constituency so recorded & watched with interest.

First off, why were there 2 greens on the panel ( McHugh for all intents & purpose is/was a green ), yet no SD?

Cowan for me displayed arrogance as if he is #1 in the FF trio.

I’m not convinced by Tóibín. I got the impression he’s clueless , especially on migration.

I agree on O’Reilly.

Of the 8, I would think Flanagan came out best. BUT, he is doing himself no favours with his persistent interruptions.

I agree on Walsh. Also she started on gender quotas. For me, the gender of any MEP ( or TD for that matter ) is irrelevant, as long as the at person is best for the job.

Casey, what a joke! He came across to me as a school teacher looking down on his pupils the way he posed. His stuttering on Ukraine ( he rambled off on Palestine/Israel, again Hannon messed up here as he never answered her question).

I agree too on MacManus .

McHugh? Totally out of her depth.

Hannon was very poor I thought. Like You I thought she let Tóibín off too lightly. She was losing control over the farming issue.

I may have missed this point, but with all the backchatting on the farming community, no mention on the culling of cows.

I didn’t even know Casey was running - I haven’t seen one poster - tells me what he thinks of Kildare. Same goes for O’Reilly & Walsh.

God help us come June 7, as what I saw last night didn’t instill me with any confidence.

Post edited by WishUWereHere on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,707 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Casey - the wiley genius that he is - has put up some posters near the Grand Canal in Dublin; not in the constituency that he is running in.

I’m originally from the north-west, and the parents are still there, so keep an interested eye on MNW still. The quality of candidates this time round - not just these 8 - is poor

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Mod: one off-topic post deleted. Stay on topic folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,308 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Niall Boylan hitting all the popular notes when talking, in which he has excellent experience. In my view he will get a seat

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭MFPM

Listened to the debate on Drivetime, Cormac OHeadhra is a real pain, I can't abide him. Niall Boylan hasn't a clue but he was clever in hitting the points that the people he's appealing to want to hear, though I doubt they listen to Drivetime in huge numbers, he was the only candidate who shouted others down. It's very much the Trump approach, headlines and slogans but when pushed fir facts he's found wanting.

I thought Gibney did OK, Lynn Boylan wasn't great but she doesn't have to be, she's going to be elected. The second group were better, more established politicians who know their stuff, Daly and Smith probably shaded it but don't think there was any real standout moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,291 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Lynn Boylan was struggling and her seat chances aren't certain given that she lost the last time. Her inability to answer where she would put reception centres showed her up. I'm not sure she's ever said anything in her political life of substance.

Niall Boylan there to show up these chancers. It's perfectly normal for prospective politicians to speak up and argue their position to convince voters they really want the job. Not sure why you need to bring in a Trump comparison as this is what politicians have been doing for generations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭StormForce13

In fairness, I can recall her saying - frequently - that she loved Ibrahim Halawa! I even recall a tweet from her stating that she couldn't sleep because she was thinking about him stuck in his Egyptian prison cell

I suspect she'll be keeping that stuff quiet during this campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,643 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Lynn Boylan should have been moved on after the last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,569 ✭✭✭Augme

She's an MEP. Why are they asking her where she would put reception centres? Jesus, you'd really worry for political future if this is what broadcasters are asking.

She's a senator.

So you're fine with her having no solutions. You're happy with her mediocrity just because she wants to be an MEP.

A career politician with no answers, no vision, no intelligence but happy to take the salaries.

Her mantra appears to be "talking with our communities". Sinn Fein rubbish.

She's not to meant to have solutions for domestic policy. She's running as a MEP.

This isn't going to wash with the public. She looked out of her depth. Sinn Fein want to be the party of government.

Oh I know. Most of the public have absolutely no idea what MEPs do.

Lynn Boylan able to criticise the government on housing pretty grand. Nothing to do with being an MEP. She picks the topics she wants to comment on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭MFPM

The question on reception centres was nonsense, that was O'Headhra asking rubbish questions that have nothing to do with Europe.

Boylan behaved very much jn the way Trump does, wild statements and half truths but when pushed there's no substance.

The government really going for the far right vote. Or is this not far right now?

Asylum seekers to have their payment means tested.

It'll be interesting to see if Sinn Fein oppose this measure.

http://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2024/0523/1450763-asylum-seekers-ireland/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,114 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I think the point is more that while certain people may be able to effectively critique the government, they should not be asked these questions nor given the platform to do so in the context of candidature for the European Parliament. But people don't take European parliamentary elections seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭suvigirl

I'd be fairly confident that the majority(probably all) of AS will retain their 38 Euro a week payment….

• Registered Users Posts: 7,362 ✭✭✭corkie

Ireland South candidate Cynthia Ní Mhurchú complains to watchdog over online abuse on X

• Ms Ní Mhurchú says she is regularly subject to abuse and called a 'stupid bitch' on the social media platform

I had a look at tweets target at her and they don't seem that bad. Maybe some have already been removed.

This silly complaint will probably lose her votes? Does her staff know how to use the platform? Mute, Block and Report!

At least I know where she stands on #DSA and don't need to ask!

How hard did you look?

Here are some examples from only the last few days:

It's actually quite interesting. Some of her tweets have little or no replies. Then every so often ones will have literally hundreds of replies from Irish flag type accounts that are laser focused on migration.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

Them comments are atrocious

I didn't see any of the above when I checked her @'s as I said they may have been removed.

Ah ok. No you have to go to her actual tweets and look at the comments underneath. The worst ones are usually at the very end as they get flagged as offensive and you need to click through to see them.

Female politicians get dogs abuse online. The really sinister thing is that it's happening now as well in the real world. The Irish Times did a great bit of journalism last year where they talked anonymously to female TDs about their experiences. A few of them talked about their experiences on the record, Neassa Hourigan saying she wears a covid mask on the Luas to prevent people recognising her and giving her abuse, Josepha Madigan saying how some guy got furious with her in a clinic and then followed her out to her car shouting abuse at her when she tried to get away from him and Holly Cairns saying that someone showed up at her house.

Social media seems to have turbo-charged the abuse. I don't know why any women would go into politics if they have to put up with this sh1t.

• Advertisement

Not interested enough in her to be go reading all her tweets! I may have mistakenly assumed that a reply to a tweet create an '@'? With 'replying to'.

Edit: -

as they get flagged as offensive and you need to click through to see them

So her or staff have to actually click through flagged content to see them?

In response to her complaint, I guess: -

Coimisiún na Meán publishes Information Pack for all election candidates

Post edited by corkie on

Advertisement