Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Declining service from all sides

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭cjpm

@RightTurnClyde Which one of Dairy directs are u using?

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭GNWoodd

The number of town lands going into that station probably increased since the last plebiscite. All jobs are simple until you have to do them. All it takes is some clown to arrive in without a polling card and the two behind the table have to go through 600 or 700 names while a queue builds up .

it’s like saying the BISS application is only a matter of filling out a form to get free money when there are numerous hoops to just through to get it right

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭148multi

I think the problem with co-op's is delivery is contracted out, I know one logistics firm that collect twice a week, but bring it to their yard and won't go out until the lorry is near full, some farmers waiting a couple of weeks but being told it on its way.

While at the same time white vans are racing around the country with mostly small value items, whoever made the decision in àn post years ago to concentrate on letters should be sho#. Covid seems to have changed the mindset with a lot of people.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

To be fair to businesses there's alot of scrapping the barrel going on to get staff.alot of these jobs are now attracting some very lukewarm performers and on the other hand people like good drivers are being swiped by other Businesses

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

I'd rate AnPost the best by far government agency.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭148multi

When most other post services in the eu were investing in parcel delivery, àn post management made the crazy decision to concentrate on letter delivery, they had the perfect base service for parcel delivery .

For example the French post office at the same time established a parcel delivery service in every eu country.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭SodiumCooled

Building also and have been lucky enough in lads coming when they say etc. in fact I’ve had lads ringing me to come and I not having things ready for them (jobs I’m doing myself).

I always like to get lads paid quick too but some lads don’t seem to want to be paid. I’ve had to separate trades now that have taken months to pay as they keep saying “we will sort it again” when I try to get it sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Tileman

I got building done last year. Everyone paid on the day they departed except electrician. Have rang him 4 times to get the invoice to pay him and can’t get it. If he doesn’t come soon the money will be spent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭Good loser

Put it in an escrow account. Maybe the one used for the APPLE money?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭memorystick

It’s not Customercare

Its Customerdon’tcare

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Had a young lad beside us 17, trained him in during the Xmas and he agreed he'd do a few hours each evening 4 nights a week from start of February was okay for the 1st 3 weeks, then was able to do 2 nights now, no reply at all this week when I enquired what's evenings he could do...

Was paying him 20 euro a hour, if a 17 year old can't be arsed to show up for that kind of money, you start to realise relying on outside labour in a farming situation is becoming nearly impossible in a economy with full employment

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭lmk123

That’s some money for a young lad to be getting, you’re a lot more generous that 2 lads I’ve sold bales to recently, you’d swear they were on the breadline (as they collect bales with tractors worth over €100k)😂

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭youllbemine

Jaysus that's some money at 17 and learning a skill. I was lifting boxes not that long ago (2015) for €7 cash in hand. Worked 6 days a week for 10 hours a day. Lunch not paid. €420 a week for 10 weeks on summer though was a nice ball of cash going back to college.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

• Registered Users Posts: 8,816 ✭✭✭893bet

Cash? Undeclarable?

Surely at that money you could pay a farm relief service through the books and have something reliable?

Paid into his bank account re online bank transfer, he was a neighbours son, thought if I could get him going and trained in he'd be a great asset to have, was guaranteeing him 4 milkings a week for the year after calving/training heifers had finished up too at 75 a milking....

Was blessed beforehand with a chap who moved into the area with a local girl, he was doing 4-5 milkings a week, after work was in the army so was finished at 3.30, he joined the prison service recently and is up in Dublin so can't do any milkings bar every second Saturday

I think frs are in the same boat getting and retaining staff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭green daries

Same boat here lads are becoming totally unreliable. Have a young fella who wants the idea of I'm working but not the actual working bit .... had to tell him it wasn't working out there at the weekend.he Didn't care one bit. I'm blessed with one lad who's doing 4 milkings a week minimum and a few more if he can fit them in

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭farmertipp

slightly off topic. I hate that new sky ad. it drives me mad. I'd love to kick that dope In the remote

It's the time wasted training in a new lad to a level you can leave him on his own that bothers me, then they'll usually flake off shortly after....

The wife was always at me to get in help etc in the evenings to finish up earlier etc, she's finally seeing after 3 years of trying to find a person thats reliably and stays for any length of time is becoming virtually impossible, it's a constant merry go round

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

In fairness what more can ya do. That young lad if he’s smart will regret not playing ball with you. You were giving him some money

I was getting a Brazilian lad with little English for general farm and building work, he worked in the same place as me during the week. Was giving him 15e cash in hand for 5-6 hours (more if he wanted it plus evenings once the time changes) on a Saturday and he turned his nose at it after a month

no one wants a recession of any sort but with inflation and hassle getting lads, Is it only a matter of time that there will be a check of some kind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Never have or suited to expand here enough to avail of help in the form of casual labour apart from contractor occasionally.

I'm accepting in the fact I'll run the show just big enough for the one man operation I have.

Sounds good money but maybe there is other factors such as the the relationship some bosses may have with their employees.

Some bosses are pricks, even if they think they are lovely and no matter how much money they give out, I seen enough, not to work for good money with the fact I may have hated the sight of the man I worked for.

At the end of the day no business should just accept that everyone should automatically come work for them.

As said, build a business than can be worked single handed and don't worry about haveing to employ outside help if it's getting hard to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭green daries

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭youllbemine

The comments section on YouTube would agree with you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭DBK1

We don’t really watch tv much and when we do it’s generally the Irish channels but we have sky. We’d been talking about cancelling it but never did. After seeing that ad on every ad break on every channel for the last few weeks I told herself to ring them and cancel and when they ask why to tell them there’s no way we’d give hard earned money to a company that would come up with an ad as idiotic as that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,816 ✭✭✭893bet

What add are we talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

• Registered Users Posts: 29,220 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

That's all fine but if something happens to you you might need someone to step in.

The sky ad where your man Shane I think is sitting on the sofa going aàaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah, it's also on the radio

Good luck with cancelling. I bit the bullet and cancelled last August over 35 minutes the call lasted offering me every deal possible. I just kept saying I want to cancel my subscription. Then when I did finally get rid they'd ring about once a month offering me deals. They rang yesterday and I put an end to it. The ad just adds to my annoyance with them. I was forking out 120 euro a month just on tv

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭farmertipp

Advertisement