Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Declining service from all sides

Options
  • 08-03-2024 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,815 ✭✭✭

What is with the declining retail and service industy sevice?  I am not difficult to work for. Maybe that’s the problem. But at every turn there seems to be a wall of hardship unless you are buying something on the spot.

Part went in my solar. Not standard stock item. Spent a month chasing trying 2 months chasing 3 different merchants to order and all promised never endingly to order it and update me the week after…..not a single phone call. Ordered on eBay.

Trying to buy 30 bare root plants from the place I bought 300 from last year to replace a few failures. Every week the owner faithfully swears he will give me a shout next week when the stock comes in….might aswell be growing them from seedling at home. 

Slow puncture last week.  Wanted a special order tyre. Tyre place said they were “price on application” and they would ring me Monday. I said grand just order it I know the price of them. Not a phone call. **** them aswell. 

Oil company. Ordered Wednesday. As I knew I was home Thursday/Friday. No problem they said. Nothing. 

Hoof pairing man doesn’t answer the phone. Only works by text and he ignores at will. Too small for him to bother calling. 

Mower on the mechanics weeks and I know full well all he has done is move it 2 times out of his way. 

Trying to renew insurance and difficult get call backs.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭HorseSea

Could write a similar post myself, no one interested in customer service anymore, just your money but the they even want to work for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,209 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Everyone is too addicted to their phones with tiktok and face book. And real life work is stretched out where it used to be one day to four, five, six days. So productivity has reduced by 75 to 85% because of Chinese tiktok. In China labour saving devices and techniques are shown. Here it's cats and a talking French bulldog.

I jest...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Had a qualified sparky in checking a motor on the meal bin that stopped working that is driven with invertor from 3 phase to 1 phase, he verified she had power but couldn't get it to turn, and that was all he could do for me...

Pulled up the tutorial video for the invertor model and how to troubleshoot issues and found the issue where it had reset back to 50hz instead of 60hz needed to get motor turning, it's unreal how useful youtube can be sometimes in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Rang for teat dip on Monday. “ no problem, we’ve a van passing all the time” Friday evening and still no teat dip

first time buying teat dip off this company too, have been buying detergent and acid for the last while

• Registered Users Posts: 11,209 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Talking to a salesman at the ploughing for teatdip. We'll be in your yard next week. Never came after.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭lmk123

It’s gone to f**k since Covid, I think it’s a mixture of things,

1. There’s a shortage or workers in every industry so people know they will walk into a job immediately if they want to leave so don’t care

2.A lot of small companies are taken over by big ones, when working for a big company you really are just a number, people think “I’ll get paid the same no matter what so why should I care”

3.It is close to impossible to fire someone without the possibility of a WRC case

4.Trades in particular couldn’t give a f**k anymore, too much work and not half enough people to do it so they can mess people around knowing full well that they’ll get the job anyway. I had a lad tell me at one stage he couldn’t answer the phone because of Covid

5.Covid gave companies free rein to bring in whatever “policies” suited themselves and they have simply kept the ones that suited

i could go on all night about this, when I did my house i did most of the work myself, I had to get 4 lads in all to do things I couldn’t do, 1 was sound the other 3 broke my heart, I’d live in a caravan before I’d do it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,710 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Out for a meal today, bit of a family get together. Two heineken and a heineken zero ordered at the table. All three came in the same glass and they gave one of the heineken to the guy driving. Also gave a vodka to a non-drinker. Just didn't care. That's a serious blunder for bar staff.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Silverdream

Most places finding it hard to get staff nevermind good ones. We are in the middle of another boom, so customer service goes out the gate. idk how long it'll last but I still remember back to the last boom and bust.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,220 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Dont get me started on the banks, nearly killed me dealing with aib last year. They just dont care. My parents dealt with the same chemist for years, my dad's prescription was short some tablets, he went back to them and they said he was doting they don't make mistakes. They moved chemist.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

Watch Louis Rossmanns rant on Lenovo ( I know full of expletives)

https://youtu.be/U2k9D81fbpA?si=gXUdbN1GuYGF54RF

This practice is now defacto with ALL Irish PC and Apple Mac dealerships here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,749 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Govt around the world won't tackle companies and insurance company's anti consumer practices. If they were forced to honour warranties this wouldn't happen.

Tradesmen have always been unreliable. When I worked in construction decades ago it would break your heart trying to get them to turn up. That's was pre internet.

But outside of that I agree poor communication has become normalized. It started before lockdown. Perhaps for worse since.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

I’m trying to get a yes/no out of AIB at the moment. Theres no manager, or whatever they call decision-makers now, in the branch in my nearest town (15 miles away). I’ve been in there 4-5 times and all I get is a direction to the website.

I might go back to the Credit Union again. The interest rate is higher but what price sanity?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

The lad over my account changed recently. He was a young lad from a dairy farm, in fairness he was very good, dealing with a crap system. The man over him the area agricultural lad was useless , a plug, just there to fill a hole. Not accountable for anything. Lads like him never get moved as they are so bad. So the new lad rang me to introduce himself. I dont think he was expecting to get such a long conversation as we had . He said all he could do was apologise for how badly we were treated

I find I treat emails or communications as if I'm not going to get a reply. Especially at work. I get held up so often, I now have a "if no reply I'll proceed as follows". Where I can .

Often I can't progress something because I simply have no communication from someone or a company. It's a key reason why outsourcing for us is failing.

Nothing worse than someone arranging to do a job and you waiting on them and they dont show and dont answer your calls. Is my time not as important as theirs, a text to say they're not coming wouldn't kill them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

At the voting the other day at a small country school there were two tables with two people at each table handing out the voting cards. So four people to hand out a piece of paper and draw a line through a name. Used only ever be two people.

This is the way the country has gone. Everything is now a big job that takes twice the length of time to do or twice the manpower.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,815 ✭✭✭893bet

I managed to get the hedging by driving the 30 mins and they happened to have it in the van on the way to another job.

and my slow puncture has fixed itself……even though I saw it clearly bubbling on the side wall…..at 180 euro a corner for the car I am happy to keep it topped up!

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Grassy Knoll

sometimes you pay for what you get, but I take my small bits of business to where I get looked after and have confidence that I am valued as a customer. Places like that hopefully will pull through when things swing the other way again, which it will at some stage… agree with the premise of the OP though, there are a lot of places that want to take handy money

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Just got a car back from a main dealer after replacing a few pipes on the EGR. Took three and a half months. Getting parts was the main reason for the delay. I think the world has gone to fcuk since covid. Luckily they gave us a replacement car.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,111 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

If you buy from whom I think down your side I’m finding deli every a lot slower and request for payment a lot quicker …very reluctant to change because products are very good and work well

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Yep same company I think

got call this morning that it’s on the way. Cheque on delivery or pay over phone or they couldnt send it out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭yagan

We moved house recently and the old deck needed replacing, rang around and managed to get two quotes. One was saying he wouldn't be able to get around to us until ten or so months later, the other said something similar and then suddenly he rang saying he could start the next day as another job had cancelled. He was very pushy but we simply weren't able to fit into his schedule at such short notice.

I did some basic repairs instead and we said we'd hang on until this busy period eases off and some sanity enters the market.

On the plus side we managed to get an electrician to do a few jobs, but he really could only fit us in an odd day here, an odd day there. Anyway we got everything we needed done but when it came to paying him he was nearly impossible to pin down, I texted him several times but at this stage he's so busy I'm sure he's forgot.

Anyway if things slow down I'm sure he'll remember.

We order 2 x 1 tonne pallets of small bags of meal every month from glanbia. 2 different types of meal. The same every month. The last 4 or 5 months the order goes through twice, so one week we get the pallets we ordered, the next week the ones we didn't order arrive. Some glitch in the system. Luckily most times I'm here when the lorry arrives the second week to say we dont want it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭visatorro

Glanbia are very slow at delivering stuff I find. That why id never order meal off them. Agreed on the banks. Mortgage was a fecking nightmare. Finance Ireland were more straightforward to deal with for agri finance in fairness.

Tradesmen are a law onto themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭SodiumCooled

Since I started voting over 20 years ago there has always been 2 + 2 at the tables like this in my local polling station. It no harm if you ask me, gives more oversight and double checks on things in what is a very important activity (voting). Also provides cover for toilet breaks etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,577 ✭✭✭White Clover

It’s 2 people for each box. The parish here is divided by a river. One box for North of the river and the other for South of the river.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭SodiumCooled

Yes same, parish is divided and 2 people per box always (in my memory) - It probably the same in the case of the poster I was responding to.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭roosterman71

I'm building and the biggest delay I've had was electricians. COuldn't for the life of me get one to commit. 2 different lads came, quoted, agreed on process and then when they were due to start said they couldn't do it. Back to square one. Delayed the build 6 months at least. Any tradesman I have got have been paid on the Friday before they leave. That's what i promised them and have been blessed then with a) the people that turned up weren't layabout chancers and b) all did good work (except the electricians who are a nightmare)

Tractor is banjaxed here and waiting since Wednesday for someone to call out to get it repaired. Sitting here all day waiting cos I was promised they'd be on this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭RightTurnClyde

I'm buying their detergent and descale (and they'll cubicle powder when they did it). Their teat dip is excellent but I found dairy directs one a bit better. ( and easier to deal with!!)

Advertisement