Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

F1 2024 - Round 2: Saudi Arabia

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Once you get out of the "1 winner, 19 losers" mentality. You start to enjoy Formula 1 strategies playing out.

Post edited by flazio on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,487 ✭✭✭✭klose

Not a great lookout for the sport when the only things to talk about are a rookie hopping into last minute to score points and KMag causing a DRS train to help his team mate gain a free stop to finish P10. if Stroll didn’t bin it that would have been 2 races with only 5 constructors winning points, could be a long season and interest will wain fairly quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭oceanman

its been over for quite a while now.....just nobody has told him yet.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 624 CMod ✭✭✭✭LIGHTNING

Yup he looked completely lost out there. What a shame, I hope he turns it around as he wont get another chance in F1

• Registered Users Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

First off, I am disappointed you didn't call it the Bearminiman, or at least the Bearminimum.

He got his chance in an F1 car (I know he will have tested one) in race conditions much sooner than expected. I thought he did well.

You mention Stroll - who put some hot laps in at times, but put it in the wall twice I think over the weekend, then has a radio message asking him if he can bring it back, to which he had a snarky reply. It is a tough enough track for a rookie I think (and yes he got pole in F2 but the cars are not seamless).

I can think of better tracks to make your race debut but also worse cars - so it remains to be seen about his raw talent.

I'd rather the likes of Bearman get a shot than teams carrying the likes of Stroll & Seargeant for the other things they bring to F1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,430 ✭✭✭weisses

Bearman had solid race but he drove a feckin Ferrari into 7th place, De Vries scoring points in that Williams was more impressing, look what happened to him. You have something to bring to the table when you are a reserve driver but jaysus the ott comments from the regular pundits..

So what you are saying is that Max needs to dial it down a notch driving that red bull to make things more comfortable for other drivers and to provide good television for the audience ?

Mercedes dominated the years prior to red bull rising to the occasion "the Brackley-based team won eight consecutive constructors' titles between 2014 and 2021, while the drivers' title was claimed by Hamilton for all of these years barring 2016 and 2021, where Rosberg and Red Bull's Max Verstappen took the crown respectively."

Remember the "party mode" they used during qualifying? basically making a mockery out of the whole qualifying session.

I think what they need to bring in is more artificially injected unpredictability, "use all compounds in a race for instance". give free reign to the amount of fuel you put in the car, all they do now during a race is manage, manage, manage.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭flazio

De Vries had a full weekend didn't he? Lawson in Zandvoort would be a fairer comparison and Formula 1 desperately needed a feel good story so young lad done good while dad has multiple heart attacks did the trick.

Dont get me wrong I like the story and he did well.... De Vries was driving a Williams.

Bearman did what was/is expected from a reserve driver at a top team, they prepare for it, of course these things always come with an element of surprise. but it was a bit overhyped imo

• Registered Users Posts: 10,268 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Jesus lads, he's 18. What he did was excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

You're right, it was excellent. However, I think the point is that some people are making out like he's the second coming based on just one performance. He could well turn out to be a generational talent, or he may prove to be merely average.

What has his age to do with it? ..if anything it was working in his favour

He is their reserve driver which means he needs to be up for the task that is expected from him.

He did a great job finishing 7th in Jeddah but don't forget he is driving a car that is capable of that and more.

Nothing was expected from him, he drove without any pressure, other then keeping the car out of the wall

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement