Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

F1 2024 - Round 2: Saudi Arabia

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Fantastic drive from Bearman so far.

Well done Ollie, brilliant drive!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Didn't see much of RBR all race, thankfully. The action was with the mid pack. Well done Ollie.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Max will be furious he dropped a point 😋

Not really, I'm sure.

Surprised Leclerc was able to rob it from Hamilton on softs. Got some help from DRS he said.

Sergio doing a decent enough job so far, if he keeps that up they’ll keep him on for another year.

• Advertisement

I'd actually forgot Checo had a 5 second penalty

Nice touch there Hamilton applauding Ollie.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭This is it

Watched that with no sound, and side by side with the rugby, but it seemed incredibly boring. Other than the Norris and Hamilton battle it didn't seem like much more was happening.

Delighted for LeClerc, so far it seems like fighting for 3rd is about all most can hope for, 1st and 2nd is sown up.

Bearman looked very good, delighted he got the points and delighted he finished ahead of Norris and Hamilton. Really held his own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Longing

Second race now and have noticed by lap 2 Max can pull out a lead of over a second over chasing car to stop them getting DRS. They Red Bull is so far in front. Ferrari best of the rest. Great drive from Bearman.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,268 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Just watched back there now. Some observations:

Watching on a Saturday night is great, was able to relax in quiet with a pizza.

• Bearman was great. Surely he'll be full-time next season? Shows how pointless some of the current drivers are (looking at you Logan...)
    • Nothing of interest happening at the top of the field, but was a decent race. I enjoyed the shithousery from Kmag that gained Hulk the point.
    • What is going on with Ricciardo? Was woeful today, unless he picks things up ASAP he'll surely be out at end of season?
    • Wonder if the red bull sponsors will start to miss their cars being shown during the race? When Max is so far ahead they won't be shown except at start and end...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,573 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Did they give a reason why Lando wasn't given a penalty for jumping the start?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭waynescales1

I'm curious to know if he moved before lights out, but then came to a complete stop again still within his box, still before lights out, whether would that be a penalty.

Regarding the above, seems ridiculous that race stewards can't overrule a faulty piece of equipment.

Different view point from the F1TV team on that, plus opinion on the KMag penalties being over harsh. Embedded videos from F1 don't work here so I'll post the link and tell you to forward to 17:55

https://www.youtube.com/live/dmKQGuubRHY?si=uP8j_3CXpoPYX4XF

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Ikozma

Something has to be done with f1,it's gone so boring and predictable.

It simply can't continue in this vein if they want people to watch regularly,I used to love f1 but I don't think I'll be bothering much anymore,pure shite it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭kksaints

Thought that was a very dull race with little excitement. As good a job as Magnussen did holding up the other cars so that Hulkenburg could get the pit stop in it is not the type of racing that's exciting to watch. Piastri getting stuck behind Hamilton for so long was also frustrating. I think the teams got the strategy for Hamilton and Norris wrong, they were left out too long on the medium tyres. It has been a poor start to the season with Verstappen just sailing serenely to victory twice.

I don't think it was a "poor strategy" rather than a gamble that perhaps there would be a second interruption to the race which didn’t pay off.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,430 ✭✭✭weisses

It's like this for the past 20 years... with different teams being dominant. The rules are the same for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

lol, I was going to say 10 years but I guess you're right. I've watched the last two races as they are actually on a Sunday in NZ (new season, new chance)instead of workdays but its awful drivel, nothing happens apart from a few artificial DRS overtakes and David Croft is appalling as a commentator and makes it all even worse, between the overhype and missing everything and the stupid little 'funny' comments. Then there's the fact that rules are irrelevant, watch any other racing series were they are consistently and fairly applied and F1 becomes even more unwatchable, why even bother having track limits tbh.

Will probably watch Aus and then its 7 mins of highlights for me until Japan which is vaguely the same time as well. When you can be bored with a 7 min highlight reel you know the sport is irrelevant.

At least down this end of the world we got Supercars :)

They done an excellent job with the new F2 cars with how even and close they can race each other, I do find F2 more enjoyable. The F1 cars are too reliable now that you can assume 90% of the time the top ten will be made up of the two drivers from Redbull,Merc,Mclaren,Ferrari and Aston. I think they should give points to the top 12 drivers and make races a mandatory two stop to try get the top drivers out of position so we can actually get see drivers fight their way through the field

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

They should bring the 3 softest compounds to every race.

F2 has an element of a spec series about it which is partly why it's so close

F1 rules need major overhaul in order for a close race to happen otherwise it needs safety cars around half way in order to make it interesting. Processional races are whats ahead I fear. Yesterday was dire.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

Ah yes this tired old, sure it's always like this comment that gets thrown around... Eh no it hasn't, there has been dominance before but not to this level not even close.

But the rules are the same... loopholes are there to be exploited I'm sure red bull are doing it right now. Like Merc did like brawn did etc etc so although the same not everyone interprets them the same.

When was the last time a driver had 0 competition not even a teammate? Vettel, Hamilton, Schumacher all had competition one way or another.

When was the last time a single driver won 19 out of 22 races or equivalent depending on the seasons number of races?

When did a team win all but 1 race In a season?

And when he and they win all 24 this year and they will and most likely next year too seen as they are probably working on next year's car already. people will come back and say the same that we have had it for the past 20 years comment.

Not targeting you directly just the comment it gets said here a lot.

Ah yes this tired old, sure it's always like this comment that gets thrown around... Eh no it hasn't, there has been dominance before but not to this level not even close.

But the rules are the same... loopholes are there to be exploited I'm sure red bull are doing it right now. Like Merc did like brawn did etc etc so although the same not everyone interprets them the same.

When was the last time a driver had 0 competition not even a teammate? Vettel, Hamilton, Schumacher all had competition one way or another.

When was the last time a single driver won 19 out of 22 races or equivalent depending on the seasons number of races?

When did a team win all but 1 race In a season?

And when he and they win all 24 this year and they will and most likely next year too seen as they are probably working on next year's car already. people will come back and say the same that we have had it for the past 20 years comment.

Not targeting you directly just the comment it gets said here a lot.

Schumacher had it literally written into his contract that he'd have no competition from his team mate... He was miles ahead in a number of his championship seasons, and that was when cars weren't as reliable.

Apart from max, look at the gaps between everyone else. Super close.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,563 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Why do you think that even though it's clear as day he did?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,563 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Because he did not. Maybe it was a mistake on his part.

Anyway to the race. It was much better than last weekends race but still boring up front. It looks like even with all the scandals at Red Bull that they and Max already have this season wrapped up. Which makes the front racing very boring.

I agree with what a poster above said tgat points need to be extended to the top 12 and tgat all races shoukd have a mandatory 2 Pitstopes at least.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

After the race Ricciardo had the look of a broke man just like he did at Mclaren, it is only two races in but it does look like his time in F1 is over

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭quokula

Not sure I get the hype for Bearman. Yes it was short notice and he's inexperienced and he made it to the end without mistakes which is a solid performance. But people are acting like 7th is some miracle result. In reality, out of the top five teams who have a good performance advantage to the likes of Haas behind them, he finished last other than Stroll's DNF and Norris and Hamilton losing out to the safety car. He finished the best part of half a minute behind Leclerc, and Charles was just cruising given that he was able to pull a fastest lap out of the bag at the end. What Bearman achieved was kinda the bear minimum that ought to be expected of any professional race driver jumping into that car.

I'm not saying it wasn't solid as it was, but I've seen people calling him the next Senna, I've seen calls for him to get a race seat immediately etc. Have people forgotten that De Vries got called in by Williams in exactly the same way and he scored points in a car where scoring points is a massive achievement? Or Liam Lawson doing the same in an Alpha Tauri? Yes, Lawson is a little older and De Vries a lot older and more experienced in other categories, but neither had F1 racing experience and the results they achieved were far more impressive given the equipment they had - it was basically the equivalent of if scoring a podium or win in the Ferrari.

Anyway aside from that it was a good race, lots of racing through the pack and very enjoyable to watch. I'm not entirely keen on how Magnussen's race played out - I'm all for teamwork and it's clever driving to hold the opposition up like that, but he was only able to do it by going off track to keep Tsunoda behind him, earning himself a penalty that cost the team nothing. Really he should have been forced to give that place back and Yuki should have had the opportunity to race Hulkenberg fairly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

^"Anyway aside from that it was a good race, lots of racing through the pack and very enjoyable to watch."^

jesus what were you watching

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement