Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2024 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Looking at the 30 year average 1990-2020 air frost is more common in April than November at Dublin airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Nail on the head. Temperatures are below average but when you look at the final third of April into early May historically, it's typically a rather cooler period. This is probably brought about via increased chance of blocking and therefore northerly or easterly winds following the climatological demise of the stratospheric polar vortex (which happens on average around April 15th).

In the UK, April high temperature records have been biased to mid-month. 29C in 1949 and 2018 were both mid-month as was 28C in 1893. 2011 had 27.8C on the 23rd before bit of a cool down during the final week though Ireland had it very sunny and rather mild due to being sheltered by the easterly winds that hit then.

In fact, this period being cooler is noted as one of the weather singularities by climatologists that analysed our weather over time years ago, much like other examples such as Christmas to New Year storms or early September warmth. It's just one of those patterns that keep coming back year to year that can be fed back to processes in the atmosphere like Christmas to New Year is on average when the stratospheric polar vortex is at its most powerful or early September warmth can be translated back to hurricanes or tropical storms amplifying Azores ridges our way after a more changeable, autumnal turn in late August. I'm going off on a tangent so I'll leave it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

nothing unusual, for example a very hard frost on the night of May 4/5 1996

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭compsys

Both those stations are probably the coldest stations in the country for overnight temps. So unsurprising to see given the cold airmass and clear skies.

Mount Dillion at least benefits from some of the warmest daytime temps in good weather. Poor Dublin Airport seem to freeze at night and then get plagued by cool sea breezes during the day. It seems to be in just the 'right' location for the worst of both worlds.

Anyway, as others have noted, there's nothing overly remarkable about freezing temps in late April.

Things look like warming up as we head into May thankfully (as you would expect as we head into late spring).

The first week or 10 days in May can still be quite cool though depending on the set-up. Frost in early May isn't unheard of either. So if we can get through those days OK we should all be able to put off the heating until early September hopefully…

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I remember us getting plenty of frost during April and May 2022 I think it was. After a very mild winter we ended up getting most of our frosts in the second half of Spring that year. It is also possible to get frost early June and indeed snow under very rare conditions.

That was 2021. The average temp for Dublin Airport that April was just 5.6º! That was -2.5º below the LTA average. The month was colder than February or March that year.

In fairness frost in June would be very remarkable.

But I think what we all need to remember is that cool weather is possible at any time in Ireland unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Early June 91 parts of the country had frost, even an air frost. Think there was some frost about early June 2005.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I remember an uncle telling me of a severe frost in June 1962,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

June 1962 holds the record for the lowest air temperature ever recorded in June. -3.3°C
    Offaly (Clonsast) 1st 1962

County Fermanagh recorded -2.4c on the 4th June 1991

An air frost has been recorded in every month. July below has the highest minimum temperature for any month

-0.3c is lowest for ROI in mostrim, Longford back in the 1800s

-1.1c in Tyrone back in July 1971

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Robwindstorm

Feckin Gerry and his prolonged rain 🌧

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭acequion

Today was lovely in Tralee, if a bit chilly. I neither want nor expect summer in April. That said I neither want nor expect winter either and the latter is much more possible in Ireland. But today ticked the boxes for me: bright, calm, sunny blue skies. No complaints at all.😊

• Registered Users Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Agreed. Same up the road in Castlebar. Great visibility today

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

whereas for some of us today was cold (real feel around 7 all day) dull and at times wet this afternoon. Brightened a bit this evening but still cold.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Great bright dry day in North Kerry, out walking and rummaging for a few hours along the coast, the breeze was cold but the sun was strong, depending on how exposed to the wind I was the jacket was zipped up or opened , glad I had a hat with me could have scorched the dome 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭yagan

Cork harbour.

Yesterday was dull and cool with a very fine spitty rain, but got loads of hedge cutting done.

Today is gloriously sunny, sitting outside theres warmth in the slight southerly although showered expected later.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The past few days have been really nice here in Meath and dry. Friday and yesterday were very sunny and it felt warm in the sun once sheltered. Today is another beautiful day which is rivaling last Sunday, just not as warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭snowgal

yes lovely sunny days near Trim, though there is a bite in that wind!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,542 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Christ it feels like 3/4 degrees in that breeze today no doubt we will be told it’s the warmest April on record 🙄

Well if we're looking at it objectively, 2024 will NOT be the warmest April on record in Ireland. Aprils 2011 and 2007 are leagues above it, they were by far the warmest on record. 2014 and 2020 also exceptionally mild.

Right now, the IMT stands at 9.2C which is milder than average but rather unremarkable historically.

All the Aprils with an IMT of 9C or greater since 2004.

2011 11.0C

2007 10.7C

2014 10.0C

2020 9.9C

2023 9.3C

2024 9.2C

2009 9.1C

2019 9.0C

2010 9.0C

The coldest April for comparison was 2012 with 7.0C followed by 2016 and 2013 at 7.2C.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,696 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Yeah I would never expect April to be warm and would always prepare for the worst weather wise. That said, I absolutely love the extra light that April brings. And the growth in nature. The 2nd half of April has been lovely. Great to get some dry fine weather this early.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

It's kinda mad that April 2021 doesn't feature as one of the coldest Aprils seeing as the average in Dublin Airport for that month was just 5.6º. It really was in its own mini climate that month with other stations way, way warmer.

The exceptional amount of frosts (frostiest month in Dublin since December 2010) brought down April 2021 a lot here. The airport having its coldest April on record though in my opinion was more a culmination of its colder location compared to years ago. I was looking through the dates of the last frost there and there was at least 4-5 years on the dot right before it moved in 1995 where the last frost occurred in February or March (normally now happens in April or May). This included April 1994 which had some quite wintry weather. I found that interesting and ties back to theories about how Dublin Airport had "cooling" from moving but as you've been saying, it seems to have levelled off or even reversed since the new runway.

The west had quite mild days during a fine spell later in the month which brought mean temperatures to be around average or even slightly above locally. For instance, Ardfert (Kerry) had 6 consecutive days with 18C or greater and 3 of these were 20C+. That doesn't happen most Aprils. The easterly winds as usual meant it wasn't nearly as mild on the east coast.

Been a nice week this week.

Why would they say something that would not be true? It's all an agenda is it?????

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Ros4Sam24

Thunder and lightning in North Ros and an outrages hail shower.. lovely

I think we got fairly lucky in Meath this week protected from all the rain and showers although today started lovely it has deteriorated and rain drops here now, first since Thursday. Plenty of sun over the past 3 days which has been great for walking and outdoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Power went briefly here in ballinamore

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Hooter23

The second round of showers coming in off the west coast now…could be worse than the first round of showers which are now in the east…second round not on the radar yet…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Thunderstorm warning has been issued for the east and Midlands

Advertisement