Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BGS 2024 - Round 1 Corballis - 23rd Mar 12:20

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭a post punk

This will be my 3rd time @Sorbet so we’ll do our best!! Although you’ll have to decipher the Cork slang 3/4 of the 4 ball are from God’s county 😂

looking forward to 18 holes and firmish fairways it’s been a very long winter….

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

I'm in your group, looking forward to playing with you. I've only Corballis once myself, roughly 20 years ago, so we're both wandering around the unknown! :-)

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Currently 3 open slots for anyone who is on the fence.

1 at 12:20 and 2 at 13:20.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Sorbet

Sign up to play with strangers off the internet they said. What could go wrong they said 😉!

I don’t often admit it but I’ve a bit of west Cork in my veins so we’ll be “pure sound” on the day. Let’s hope we’re “haunted” with the golf 😀.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Alanm

A couple of updates and notes for the day.

The time sheet will get locked tonight. Due to a couple of people not being able to play we will have to make a few changes - we won't move anyone far from their current slot, but please be aware of this. Seve will most likely do this later today.

In case anyone has any last minute problems on the day, my number visible in clubnet (Member Hub section - member contact list). Last minute dropouts are not guarenteed a refund (although I will do my best to sort).

Pace of play: as we're late enough in the day, I would ask all groups to do their absolute best to keep up with the group in front. Corballis is a little tight and can get a bit slow at times so it's important that we keep things moving as best as we can. Please remember there is a 3 minute time limit to search for a ball. If you aren't sure your ball is in play/might be lost, play a provisional. Ready golf where it's safe to do so. Those that are newer to golf, please listen to the more experienced lads.

For the round itself, I'm planning for NTP on 6 and LD on 12. We'll also have placing on the fairway only - I've heard that some of the fairways have quite a lot of divots. This is ok for qualifying purposes. Please note that Golf Ireland recommend that all rounds should be submitted and we're encouraging all members of the society with a GUI to do this. I'll try to remind everyone of these on the day too!

Food and presentation of prizes will be held afterwards in Balcarrick golf club. It's out the gate of Corballis, turn left and it's on the right a couple of 100 meters away. As there is a long time from 1st tee time to last, I don't expect everyone to hang around - but please do if you can.

Think that's it for now, any questions or queries, please let me know. See you all in a couple of days!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭token56

Strong cold winds, exactly what I've been playing in unsuccessfully all winter and I don't think I'm going to be bucking that trend any time soon. Not long to go now.

Also I'm happy to have my timeslot moved forward if it makes life any easier for organising.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭willabur

in case anyone is interested I wrote this course guide a couple of years ago. https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/111742741/#Comment_111742741

its true, 3.45, 4 hours is typical and you don't feel like you are waiting too long at that, its an active round. But 5 hours takes the piss.

There was an interclubs match last summer that went out after a swedish society. The swedes hadn't a clue where they were going and not many of them looked like they had played much golf before. It was the slowest 4 holes of golf I ever ever witnessed. They must have been 6 hours getting around that day

• Registered Users Posts: 11 go1f

You can move me to any slot if it helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Rosstopher213

Sorry to say i wont make this weekend now couldnt get anyone to cover shift in work ..see ye all in April

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 scotty_golf9

Sorry about this lads, i had to take my name off as i had a fight in work with a saw and ended up loosing. Needed 3 stitches in my left thumb so i hope be sble to play. See yous at the next one

Any recommendations for a good podcast /episodes for the 2.5 hour journey?

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭BohToffee

I'd be a fan of either No Laying Up or Paddy talks golf. Tee up a few of the interview episodes rather than the tournament recaps. Pardon the pun 😬

I'll be tuning into the billy horschel one for the return journey.

Cannot wait for the outing weather looks to be reasonable in comparison to previous days outlook.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,758 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Some good interviews in the past catalogue of No laying up.

The Chipping Forecast is an easy fun listen too.

Cheers for that , I listen to No laying up and Paddy Talks a good bit aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Best of luck today lads. Enjoy the round!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 scotty_golf9

Have a blast today lads⛳️

Quality afternoon on the links. Thank you Captain and committee for organizing. Play was slow, quality of play was questionable most of the time but some really good golf at times. the company was great Javier and Paul are two gents

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭BohToffee

Another boards society season begins with a quality day on the links thanks to captain Al and the committee for organising. Golf was most definitely questionable at times but the company was spectacular, thanks to kiith and truedub on that front.

My day started with plenty of oohs and aahs, that was just getting out of the car. What followed was a mixed bag at best. Starting with 4 putts, then a nice par. To get me thinking it could be a decent day. It would have been the first time ever I scored anyway decent in Corballis so I should have known myself there'd be plenty of high scores so several 8s followed but my card was saved by a few more pars.

Looking forward to Portmarnock in a few short weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭bobster453

Just home after a long day, another enjoyable excursion with the Boardsies.

Many thanks to our esteemed Captain and his illustrious committee.

Well done to Fix on his maiden win.

For me it was very much a mixed bag..front 9 ok back 9 disaster. Two shots only stick out..a flop wedge shot when the ball was wedged against a bank by the green and a shot out of a pot bunker with the ball behind my feet and sand wedge so open it was practically flat. Everything else completely forgettable.

Great scenery and great company with WOGD and just cannot remember A's handle so will say nothing.

He is a serious good golfer and will defo be in the mix this year.

WOGD was like me..good shots mixed with not so good but again another day he will defo come good.His acrobatic skills saved him when he took a tumble..i think he said it was 7 back flips..a pirouette and a fodsbury flop..see attached pic...this was not staged i swear.

As for the course i agree with Tiger..defo marmite.Not for me i think.I accept losing balls but when you manage to hit one down the middle and it cant be found its a joke.

What a wind...enough said.

Front 9 classic links back 9 like something just added on and goddam dangerous too..3 groups in close proximity crossing over and balls flying everywhere.

Looking forward to Portmarnock already.

Thanks again folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Snackbox20

Good evening golfers, not long in the door, but a great day out. Nothing better than getting back out on the fairways with one of the best golf societies and hopefully another great year ahead. Hope ye all got home safely.

It was really nice seeing a lot of familiar faces before tee off and welcome to the new members.

Congrats to captain @Alanm and his committee for running today's outing really well and congrats to @FixdePitchmark on your maiden win.

In the words of Conor Moore, it was a case of "ugh! Man, the conditions were really really tough out there!!" Corballis is a course where you have to be accurate and also be able to play your percentages, it certainly put the manners on me. I was in the 13:10 group with @benny79 , @boccy23 , and new to boards, @Sorbet . It was a mixed day for us all, both Boccy and Benny were playing steady golf and got on some nice par runs and found their shots on the fairways and greens. Both of the lads were unlucky not to finish in the top 3 only for @benny1 or 2 shots not falling the right way. Sorbet had a nearly similar day to myself, but had some very good shots in his arsenal, holing some very good scramble putts, especially his recovery putt for par on the 16th. Benny was dialling in with his putter. Boccy had some great shots off the tee and a brilliant back nine with a solid 15 points coming in at the finish.

I was talking with some of the lads before the round and @charlieIRL reminded me of my "Sonya" on the last outing 😜😜😜😜, delighted that I hit a crisp 6iron to the back of the green. We were joking that on a day like today a score like 10 could be a winner, I was more than happy to score 21pts, but I threw away an awful lot, but was happy with a lot of shots I did play, especially happy with my short game and around the greens.

Plenty to work on ahead of the next outing to Portmarnock.

A great start to hopefully another great year for boards.

Well done to fix again for your win, and to the other prizewinners. Really enjoyed out on the course with our group, and thanks once again to captain and the committee for organising today.

See you at the next event

Plantbased20

Thanks to Captain Alan and all who helped organise a really enjoyable and really well organised day. Congrats to @FixdePitchmark on the win.

First Boards outing for me and it didn’t disappoint. Great company in @boccy23 , @benny79 and @Snackbox20 - very welcoming and some moments of great golf. If a few close putts had dropped @benny79 could have challenged for the win. Had a great run of pars that I might have spoiled by mentioning near the turn!

@boccy23 played some great golf and look forward to seeing him on a course where driver is in use - drove really well today. @Snackbox20 chipped beautifully- can definitely pick up some tips there.

For my own game - it was my first time playing a links course after taking up golf in ‘23 and in truth don’t think I’m at the level required for it just yet. When you’re a little wayward you’re punished quite hard. Even some shots which connected well can disappear when you’re hitting blind! Still really enjoyed the day. Front 9 is really beautiful, back 9 not quite at the same level but stiIl some lovely holes.

Settled my first tee nerves with a GIR but followed with 3 putts! Highlight of my round was a two on the par 3 4th after sinking maybe an 8/10 footer uphill. A nice up and down for a point on 8 after finding water with the first shot. Had a nice two putt on par 3 17 after my approach went on the top level and nearly had to putt 90 degrees away from the hole and sink a long second one.

Despite my poor scoring had a really enjoyable day. Looking forward to the next one in Portmarnock , might put the child of Prague out and hope it’s not too windy!! Thanks again all.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

That was challenging. Haven't played many times in wind stronger than that, and I really struggled as I tend to put the ball up in the air with all my clubs. I was striking the ball well, but it was just being destroyed by the wind. The par 3 7th was the worst, hit a lovely PW about 50 yards right of the green, only for the ball to end up in the water 50 yards left of the green. Crazy ball flight. Worst was the 15th though, and not cause of the weather. Hit a beautiful drive, down the middle, to 100 yards. It then took me another 5 shots to get the ball in the hole. I did have a few putts lip out, so feel like I left a lot of points out there (like I'm sure we all did). 25 points in total, which is about fair for how I played.

Corballis is an odd course. I switch between thinking it's fine, and kind of hating it 😂 It's an odd design, with some poor holes mixed in with some pretty good ones, with a lot of forgettable ones inbetween. I do enjoy the 2nd, 3rd and 4th. Won't even mention the mess of the 15th/16th holes.

The company, as always at a boards event, was fantastic. Played with bohtoffee and truedub. First time with truedub, and hope to see him back at more events. Like me, he struggled with the conditions, and lost a few balls. But had some lovely approach shots and shirt game was mostly good. Bohtoffee is a big hitter, and is quite good at keeping the ball low under the wind, a shot I really need to get into my bag. Was great seeing the distance he could get even into that wind. Thanks to both the lads for making what could have been a terrible round, still be very enjoyable.

Think I'll likely miss Portmarnock, but looking forward to the next event.

Post edited by Kiith on

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

I wasn't sure what to expect from Corballis - lots of opinions, both good & bad, were flying around, but I decided I'd make up my own mind as I went around.

Yuck. I've never liked courses that have criss-crossing, and this started early with @BohToffee helpfully grabbing my arm on the first hole to stop me walking straight in front of another group. The blind shots and hit-and-hope areas on some holes don't suit my game (which is nowhere near precise enough to cope), and I found it tough to cope with the conditions too. Without the advice of my playing partners I could easily have shot 1000!

I was lucky enough to play with @BohToffee and @Kiith , and really enjoyed their company the whole way around. We had a number of laughs as we progressed, not least on the 15th fairway when I managed to hit myself in the mouth with my own divot.

Part of the appeal of the Boards society for me is playing new & different courses - many thanks to @Alanm and the rest of committee for their hard work organising this outing and all the others during the season. I'm hoping to play as many as I can.

Win at last

Well at last, after over a decade of trying, got a win. Haven’t played well for 2 or 3 years at this stage . but this season put some good, winter work in.

I was never a golfer able to get in the 40  + points – and was probably off a handicap I was never particularly competitive off – but I was always able to get to mid 30s – on tougher days hang in there and be in the top 5 .  I also tend to have a better front nine – a thing that can cause you considerable pain in society golf.

The week was a mad one – been working 8 days straight – then a problem in work meant that I had to do a night prior to the game – not exactly ideal preparation – little or no sleep, no warm up.

But – at least it was Corballis – a course I genuinely know backwards and have probably played it 200 times + (even if I was never a member). Wind was another big advantage - I basically play hockey, not golf.

A group from Boards here, play a bit over the winter – and Corballis became a sort of spiritual home – reason being, it is always open , very cheap and very fast. Do you want to be out on a 6700 yard + course in deep winter ? – ice on greens and gale force wind. A quick run around meets the needs of a year round golfer, when in mid winter.

But – it is as some have described, marmite , too hard, too slow , crazy golf . It is not a golf course that fits into any normal category. That in itself is a charm to me. I like Links , I like variety , I like doubt and unpredictability. I also like fast short golf.   

One of the best rounds I ever had – was a 69 in Corballis – was probably playing the golf of my life at the time – but you still have to have every bounce go your way – as at that place a foot here or there is death. I love that edge of seat golf – that needs control and course mgmt.

But back to Saturday – so in a daze between sleep and awake, I hit the first tee – was with a fine group for the day – Golfgraffix / blue note / VW1 . All great ball strikers, with very different games – the joy of amateur golf. On the 2nd tee, I said to them all – this is the big dog group. Blue note – has had fairly epic scores in the society – so I was interested to see his game . His ball flight is incredible and very suited to a real target golf style – I’ve seen VW1 hit the ball and he also fantastic athleticism. Golfgraffix has transformed his game over the last year – he was know as a player with an extraordinary short game – but has transformed himself into an all round real serious player.

And then you see the sea – what a run from 2 to 7 – as good as anything out west – but just a slightly smaller scale. I was hitting the ball well – but got frustrated with the lack of reward , the mats to grass tee boxes to unusual tee locations – didn’t really suit me. And the round was getting away on me. ‘Graffix was off to a flyer – such control and calm and game plan and focus. Amazing to see by the contrasting wild Irish sea.

As I stood up on the 4th tee – for as far as you could see, you could see golfers all over the place / the sound and the navigation and views of the course was fascinating to see. What a mad place – also golfers are mad. I’m one of them too.

Blue note and VW1 were a bit wild at the start – but good shots were interspersed by despair – but at no point, did they lose their calm and cool demeanor.

As for me and Golfgraffix (another tale) – the calm was at times like the sea – not calm (lol) – we go back a long way at this stage – and over the years we have developed a sort of false rivalry. We have had fantastic matches at boards events and away from it. I’d say it is fair to say he has a slight edge on me with wins – but when we are both at our best – it is as tight as Corballis. Me a stronger long game, him a much stronger short – it creates a great match dynamic.

But – whilst I was hitting the ball great – it was Corballis and as we know,  a foot here and there – it is a scratch , I wasn’t being rewarded in my mind. But at the same time – everyone was saying 30 pts is a great score – considering the wild day that was in it.  No matter how poor, or what form I’m in , I can still always get into the 30s.

I still made a few mistakes and school boy errors – a bit of mental fatigue. But I got to the 30 –  and there was definitely more in the can.

Happy out to get the win in Alan’s year – a really terrific bloke, who is a wonderful golfer, with great humility. He has traits we could all learn from.

The society is such a different place to normal golf. It in theory is just about golf. But when you meet up with people, you see it is a bit more. It is golfers who want to go on a bit of a golfing journey, an odyssey, an escape – a discovery.

Fair play bluenote and VW1 – for putting up with me and Golfgraffix, pretending that the match we were in, was more important than life and death. But we all know that golf is not just about who wins. It is about a shared journey – a discovery of somewhere new. And maybe that odd shot that can genuinely surprise yourself – and call you back to this game and the society and something in yourself.

Thanks for the great prizes Alan , and I’ll have a little memento of a beautiful engraved Galway tumbler to enjoy a wee drink – I can reflect on the views on the 4th on that day – and also a nice memory on the last decade of a truly extortionary golf journey with many very special golfers and more importantly, great people.  

Post edited by FixdePitchmark on

Would be interested to hear how people found the conditioning and presentation of the course on Saturday, especially from those who have played the course before

It was actually a bit better than I expected. You also have to keep in mind that this year is the worst conditions I've seen on nearly all courses and it is still very early in the year of a very very bad year. Will be a completely different place late May.

The positives - great to see sand bags out - if still limited use by course users

Greens still in ok to good condition - if not their best.

Negatives

We had to have placing - but the divots around the place are still bad - but you got to think not just the courses' responsibility but - bad golfers with no respect.

Season relatively close - want to get a move on with whatever is happening on 5 and 7 and 8 and 9 , - the loss of the real 8 is a disaster.

Mats not great on tee boxes - let that pass - but it is April next week.

A few bunkers look structurally collapsed . poor condition.

Overall - it looks like there is too much golf going on - but I would add - that course with serious greens fees and subs - have very similar issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭jarrieta

Congrats Fix! Glad you had a win at last, your ball flight is and links experience made you a very good candidate.

I really enjoyed it, I think my most enjoyable round of golf in the last 8 months, definitely best weather I have had. My golf is still horrible but I had some decent holes and a few good shots. The best part was the company with @willabur and @pakman, really good folks and golfers, but neither of us had our day.

Advertisement