Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BGS 2024 - Round 1 Corballis - 23rd Mar 12:20

Options
  • 27-02-2024 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭

Welcome all to the first round of 2024. A familiar course for the society, Corballis will hopefully be a bit more enjoyable this year with a lot more clubs to choose from! Corballis has been a regular venue for our society over the years and I personally have some great memories from previous rounds (and a few not so good ones - 22pts last year was not a highlight!).  

The cost for this will be €35 for members.  

Information on joining the society can be found here: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058280130/all-about-the-boards-golf-society-joining-information-and-rules.  Please PM myself or Seve OB if you have any issues.

I'll update this thread with details of when the timesheet will be opened for booking.

As Corballis doesn't provide food, I've booked us into Balcarrick for something afterwards. I'm looking forward to seeing you all in a little over 3 weeks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Just in case there's any uncertainty, I WILL be comparing last years 4 club challenge scores against this years results. Anyone not improving on last year will be made fun of 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

Will be hard for me to improve on 1st 😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Wonder will BakerBhoy decide to just leave the putter out of the bag since he had a good finish on this last year without one?

Won't be able to make this one this year. First time in a while that I'll have missed the first outing of the year.

Will be away in sunnier climes at the time though, so I'll be able to console myself somewhat 😉

Enjoy it folks and good luck to anyone playing here for the first time trying to figure out where they're aiming on a couple of holes!!!

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Really looking forward to this one in particular, I'd say it must be over 10 years since I played a links course!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,758 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Well last year ..I had 1 hand [injury]and 4 clubs...so imagine I should do better..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Lot of early excuses!!!

Looking forward to getting started up again and another visit to Corballis. Might bring the 4 clubs again, can’t get any worse for me!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Snackbox20

Now the year has properly started.

Can't wait to get out and hit a Sonya all the way up the first 🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

All tools will be deployed.

I'm taking all the help I can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭benny79

I think I might just stick with 4 clubs since I came second last year 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Enjoy this one folks. I won't make it myself even for a walk around as I'm heading away for Easter (not with @spacecoyote).

Hope to start some gentle swinging of the club over the next week or so but full golf is still about a month away so per doc's instructions I will hold off till after the holidays before hitting the links.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭blue note

I'll try to go out first. It'll be a bonanza for the rest of ye for finding balls.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'm confident i'll make this one, though there may be a last minute cancellation if baby number 2 decides to come as early as baby number 1.

Can't wait to get stuck in again. Haven't been playing well, but love me some links golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭bobster453

Missed this one last year thank allah.

Looking forward to it never having played here.

The 6-0 defence starts here😂

Like new photo bobster....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Alanm

The timesheet will open for booking in ClubNet this Saturday at 7pm.

I am sure I dont know what you are talking about😂😂

Timesheet is open !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭blue note

This round is creeping up fast. I'm going to try to get to the range at least once and out on a course at least once before this event. I don't want to come off 18 feeling like I'd have had a good score if I'd only practiced a little bit before the round. I'm thinking of that saying..... "try and fail, but never fail to try." That's my plan. Do a little work and then when I crash and burn I won't feel too bad about it.

I'm scanning through the thread from last year here and it'll be interesting to see how different a day people have with a full set of clubs. It's perhaps the most divisive course in Ireland, so with the full set I'm wondering what people are going to think of a round where you barely need your driver and still have short approaches. And the short par 3s - 5 of them would likely be the shortest on your home course. The outrageously difficult index 1 3rd hole.

I hope every group has at least one person in it who has played the course before. I especially hope the group behind us has one, it's bloody dangerous if they don't!

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Sorbet

Really looking forward to it - first Boards outing and first links course! As a result not expecting much in terms of points but looking forward to the challenge of something new.

Does anyone have any idea whether the course will be counting for handicap purposes or still too early?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭willabur

Back on the boards tour and looking forward to kicking it off on my home course.

Fair warning to all, the course has seen much better days. Pretty much every aspect of the course has gone downhill significantly in the last 6 months. With everywhere else closed in the area the footfall is just far too much for the course to cope. Tee box on 1, 4 and 7 are currently out of play. 1 is a tee off beside the putting green, 4th will 100% be out of action so it will be tee off from the red tee box. the visitors tee box on 7 is closed but they may put us out on the members tee box, I hope so as it is a completely different hole from back there. 8th is the same situation as last year, they seem to have started work but it is painful progress.

I'll be in the first group on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

yes it will be. unless something very unusual. Links courses pretty much counting all year round

In fact, there is a new WHS directive that all society scores should be submitted for handicap purposes, so we would ask you all to make sure and submit your scores going forward

Corballis is scoring all year around, currently its lift clean and place on the fairway.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭a post punk

Really looking forward to the first outing , it seems like an awful long wait this year….. this is my 3rd time to play Corballis with the society so no excuses !

I’ve played whenever weather permits over the winter but have only been to the range to practice once,(just cannot face that weather day and night aswell……) I spent all of last winter at the range so I hope the game is still there when we kick off this year.

Best of luck to @Alanm kicking off his year👍

Is the course currently qualifying ? With so many temporary arrangements not sure how CR and slope could be right ?

Yep it is currently qualifying. The indexes are a bit of a mess atm

Good turnout.34 so far and only 2 places left.

Stays like this for the year will need A game switched on just to qualify for the Jug panel.

Bring it on!!!🏆

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭jarrieta

Oops, almost missed this one, just booked, looking forward to it, I am playing very little and terrible, but will be fun!

See you folks in a couple of weeks!

Advertisement