Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2024 Irish Golfer Top 100 courses

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

I have played exactly 26 too

Plan go Rosapenna this summer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭benny79

50 for me I think probably forgot a few 😂 Having played Portrush a few times now dont know how its No.1 great course no doubt.. but no 1 I dont know definitively up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Ah Portrush is incredible. More exciting then #2 Portmarnock, but fairer than #3 Royal County Down which perhaps leans too heavily on it's incredible front nine. A complete course with everything from holes 1 through 18 with no weakness (except for perhaps conditioning which has not been nearly as good as #2 and 3# in the past couple of years. Surely they're preparing to peak the course for 2025?)

I hope to tick off old head in a few months time, a round I'm really looking forwards to!

The image below is the true crime, that I have not had the opportunity to play any of the big south west courses to compare numbers 1, 2 and 3 to! I've cleared out my PM's folder and await the invitations 🤓

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭thewobbler

Same boat RR.

I’ve a massive Kerry, Clare, Limerick shaped hole in my map of Irish courses played.

Every time I think of heading to the South West, I either book Donegal or Portugal.

Donegal and Sligo are better value for money. I've not played any golf in Portugal or Spain yet. I do think we have the best courses in the world on our doorstep, but lament the fact that it's cheaper to get on a plane and fly to Portugal to play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭paulos53

Tralee and Ballybunion have always been the most accessible of the South West courses as they both have a few opens every year. However I noticed last year that it has become harder to get on the timesheet. They generally open the timesheet to members first and there were very few slots available to non-members.

I also see that Ballybunion are using the Cashen course for the Junior scratch cup this year, so that is 1 less opportunity to play the Old course.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭benny79

I get where your coming from @RoadRunner but for me to be ranked No 1, I rate the whole experience, course, condition, club house, staff (friendliness) value etc.. Hence why my favourite is The European Links wise... I remember the very first time I played it. Rang to book and asked for the price and Pat himself answered and said its €50 (winter rate at time) but if I turn up with a american accent its €250.😂 I still laugh about it today! A great course no airs or graces and probably one of the most friendly around! And the mad thing is I never play well there still yet to break 30 pts there but yet still love it! But like you said the condition hasnt been great in Portrush in my view if your up at the top condition should be 100% all year round especially when charging top dollor!

But I suppose thats the beauty of the game! people love courses for different reasons

• Registered Users Posts: 23,561 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

17 played for me.

Of the rest of the list Heritage, Glasson, Carne, Enniscrone & Strandhill all booked for this year so far. Surprised I had played so many considering I only really started playing properly in 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

65 played, might get about 5 more in this year

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭moycullen14

That's probably as good a stretch of courses as anywhere in the world. All within 100 miles (or so) of each other

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Ballinrobe, Druids Heath, St Margaret's, Mullingar, Powerscourt East, Castlemartyr, Seapoint, St. Anne's, Grange, Concra Wood, The Heritage, K Club Palmer South, Carton O'Meara, Powerscourt West, Dromoland, Carton Monty, Luttrellstown, Donegal, Strandhill, Cork, Mount Juliet, Connemara, Killeen Castle, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, K Club Palmer North, Doonbeg, Enniscrone, Co. Sligo, Portmarnock.

30 of 100 played. Looking forward to adding to the list this year.

Doonbeg and Co. Sligo probably my favourites of the links courses (albeit I don't see myself returning to Doonbeg anytime soon). Druids Glen is fantastic following the upgrade works, but it's very expensive now

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Lewie1989

Been able to get out on quite a few of these since March last year (Naas, Macreddin, Headfort New, Laystown Bettystown, St Margarets, Seapoint, Moyvalley, Tulfarris, Rathsallagh, Palmerstown, Ardglass, Portstewart, Jameson Links)

I've found the quality and variety of courses in Ireland absolutely superb, i've lived in a few places around the world and don't think there is a better city to play golf from then Dublin. So many great courses within an hours drive, very lucky to have it on the doorstep :)

Hoping to tick off the European, Wild Atlantic dunes, Enniscrone and Rossapena this year !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭VW 1

From a different point of view, is there any courses that you feel should be on the list and isn't?

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭thewobbler

The problem is that 100 is exactly the wrong number for Ireland.

It should be top 50; it needs to be top 50 to make it prestigious.

For once you head into the 80s and 90s, it kind of simultaneously feels like “one for everyone in the audience” and “it’s their turn”, rather than an acknowledgement of class.

Off the top of my head, courses I’ve played that could easily be dropped into that list without complaint include Lisburn, Kilkeel, Kirkistown, Coolatin (though I’ve heard it has lost some land), Woodenbridge, Greenore, Massereene, Knightsbrook, Mount Wolesley.

this doesn’t make the list wrong. Just that there’s nothing much to differentiate why and why not in the lower echelons.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I think there's value in the Top 5, Top 10, Top 30 but is there really a way to separate say 66 from 82 etc or 34 from 43 etc.

Whatever is towards the top of the list deserves its place but there's plenty outside the 100 that could be included and some dropped off

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Any of the top clubs have opens at reduced green fees? I cannot see myself playing any of them otherwise.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭L.O.F.T

Baltray's greens had just been heavily spiked last time I saw it, seriously tainting the experience for me. It hard for me personally to justify it as being top 6 in the whole island when it was such a let down back then. Maybe I need to try get back there to find the love for it again? 🤨

Also surprised to see St Patricks so high when the course is still likely bedding in however I have not played it yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭L.O.F.T

Baltray is a super track, do give it another try, if you can get a deal. It's fairly pricey

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

I was lucky enough to play it for free many years ago, in the most glorious sunshine. I remember it being stunning, with the greens being the best part. I'd love it give it another go now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Beaulieu

89 of the Top 100 (per that list) played by me. 11 left with a Northern bias

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭bmay529

70 and counting, Still to play Adare (waiting for invite!!!), Old Head (same), Doonbeg (waiting for the new owners!!), Portumna, Portsalon and several Northern courses outside the big ones.

Best course: Everyone talks about Portrush and RCD, both great courses, but I love Tralee and Enniscrone (great value also) with all its great dunes

The St. Patricks rating is definitely on potential imo. I played it last year and it wasn't in great condition. Was mid-August and they said they were still struggling with it after getting burned out in May. However give it 4-5 years and you can see it is going to be top class once it settles, the holes themselves are fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭blue note

For me I was surprised that St Patrick's wasn't higher than 11. I liked the slightly rough around the edges condition of the course when I played it. The fairways weren't perfect and that was just right for me. In fairness, the only one I've played in the top 10 is Baltray, so I can't really say that St Pats should be higher than any others, but I'll say it anyway - it should!

And Baltray is a terrific course. I'd love to go back. If they do another open I'll try to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭kermitpwee

St Patrick's is incredible, you must play it, Baltray when the greens are good is a brilliant course, top 10 everyday and perhaps higher for me, Westport is totally overrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭fungie

I felt at Patrick's was way overrated. Basically a US resort course but links. Sandy Hills is much better IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭IAmTitleist

It's amazing how people opinions differ. The beauty of it i guess because i would have no interest in playing either of the other 2 Rosapenna tracks to be honest. Whereas St Patricks is right up there with RCD/Portrush for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,758 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I personally prefer Sandy Hills - a few issues with St Patrick's - to me it is only partially a Links - there is nothing wrong with that and it is great to have a new style of course - visually stunning - some of the best scenery on any course I have seen - but would agree with above feels more a resort course - with massive wide fairways.

Have played it with about 15 golfers - and in general more people prefer Sandy Hills. So for the course to jump to like world level so quickly seems a bit of hype to be honest. If a course is that good- why is it not universally liked - the same group would probably be 14 out of 15 on a course like Royal Portrush.

The point I'm making there - is St Patrick's will be a bit more divisive than is being suggested.

The course is still very immature - it was very rough around the edges last year - and the greens were not just bad - they were very poor.

And - 1 last thing - and this is a personal thing - I always believe you should be able to 2 putt on any green no matter what - I have a pet hate of sure 3 putt greens - and there are about 4 or 5 of them there.

But - the views are world class - have not seen anything like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

Well, Fix, safe to say that we know each other's position on St Patrick's, so let me respond to your comments

I'm not sure why you say it is 'only partially a links'. This is pure links land.

The 'resort course' tag seems to stem from the belief that wide fairways equals 'resort'. Fair enough. But there aren't many resort courses I know that have such a multitude of approach options and from different angles. That's the genius of St Patrick's.

"If a course is that good- why is it not universally liked" You use Royal Portrush as an example but it's safe to say that Royal County Down is a course that is not universally liked but is still revered globally. St Patrick's is in my top 6 courses, maybe top 4.

"and the greens were not just bad - they were very poor." Fix, we played the same course on the same day. I didn't find the greens to be poor at all. Yes, I've been told that the course condition was poor during the summer (and that's a key reason for the course dropping in the rankings) but I was actually impressed with the course's condition that day.

Can I ask an obvious question about your 3-putt comment: would you have an issue putting on the greens at Augusta? I've just played Ombria, a new course in the Algarve, and I would say 12 of the 18 holes have three-putt greens.

K

• Advertisement

Which greens on St. Patricks are 'sure 3 putts' ? I am not a good player, HCI of 13, and I had 1x 3 Putt when I played it. The Par 5 6th where the pin was hanging off the front right of the green.

Advertisement