Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2024 Irish Golfer Top 100 courses

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭patsat

Castletroy, Naas, Powerscourt (East), Ballybunion (Cashen), Killarney (Killeen), Portumna, Enniscrone, County Sligo, Tralee, Ballybunion (Old).

10 played.

Favourite links would be a toss up between the beauty and par 3's of Tralee versus the condition and layout of County Sligo.

Best Parkland for me is Portumna without question. Although I must play more high end parklands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Portumna is such a lovely course. We do a club day out there every year even though it’s a fair distance away. They were blessed with the location, but they also keep it in brilliant condition.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

5 of them played:

Baltray, Carlow, Powerscourt East, Bunclody, Arklow.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

7 played.

2 of them being Headfort Old & New where I'm a member so that doesn't really count. 😂

Hopefully I can add a few more to the list this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

26 played.

I think Moyvalley should be lower.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭SEORG

34....played ....No way Mount Juliet is better than Cork (I'm not a rebel!)...I have only paid over €100 for one of them. A lot are making it very expensive now.

Castletroy, Royal Curragh, Killarney (Mahony's & Killeen), St. Anne's, Esker Hills, Tulfarris, Arklow, Dingle, Bunclody, The Heritage, Tullamore, Carton House (O'Meara), Ballybunion Cashen, Belvoir Park, Galway Bay, Portumna, Dromoland, Murvagh, Fota Island, Cork, Mount Juliet, Portmarnock Jameson Links, Dooks, Doonbeg, Enniscrone, The European Club, County Sligo, Carne, Tralee, Waterville, Adare, Ballybunion Old, Lahinch, Royal County Down

• Registered Users Posts: 20,758 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Played 69 of them....but as mad as this sounds...that is lower than I expected...

The north is a big gap for me.

Also south County Dublin not exactly accessible.

And then.....mid West parklands sketchy enough....

We are so fortunate in Ireland to have so many course. .there are many very good courses not even in top 100..

Now..to nearly go back on myself...

If we look at top top tier.

Maybe we overestimated the top level.

We focus so much on our top links ...as they are such a unique experience.....but to challenge ourselves for a second..could you get to 2 hands ...world class parklands ?

In Irish circles..we always considered Mount Juliet top top tier...but with You Tube and more experience..have we kinda over stated some of our Irish stuff.....?

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭thewobbler

I’d almost go the other way Fixd.

Doesn’t everyone, everywhere overrate their parklands?

if we are to accept that the best parklands in the world list would include Shinnecock, Merion, LACC, Riviera and dare I say it, Augusta, then we surely have to accept that on even the best parklands, there are some filler holes, other holes with zero strategy, and a handful of holes that are far from memorable.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭fungie

Played 62 of them and most of the top ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

I don't think you can spilt golf courses into merely links and non-links ie parkland.

I think parkland is too wide a catch-all. I don't think many if any on your list there could be described as parkland in the truest sense.

You have to take into account the land as it was, how much work had to be done to turn it into a golf-course, how much of the natural lay of the land was kept or incorporated into the course.

I think we need more descriptors to separate the types of golf course beyond Links, Heathland, parkland.

I'm sorry but there is no way Shinnecock should ever be described as a parkland for instance.

I don't like the term faux-links particularly either, but there are a lot of them in America and they are certainly not parkland courses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭blue note

I've played 21 of those. Slightly lower than I'd have thought.

I quite enjoy these lists, but the difference between a course that might be around 10 and one at 30 is probably minimal and the same can be said of courses around 50 and 90. I always think a star system similar to the Michelin stars would be a better way of doing it. You could have 3 stars for the best 4 or 5 in the country, 2 stars for the next 25 and then one star for another 50. I think it would be more meaningful for a club to get another star than climb a few places in the rankings.

And we have fantastic quality of depth in our parklands. Anyone could rattle off another 20 that aren't even in the list that are absolutely terrific courses. But at the very top end of the parklands, we don't have many that would leave an impression if the Irish Open was held on them. Adare Manor, Druids Glen, Killeen Castle, K Club.... would many others be exciting venues?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

94 Hope to pick a few of those just in the 100 from up North this year...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭big_drive

I went for a look at the Challenge Tour event in Headford last year. Thought it was a beautiful course.

Must be very nice being a member of a 36 hole club and from what I remember the membership fee is very good for what you get

• Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Yeah the new course is hard to beat when it's at its best in the summer.

Having 2 courses on site is great. You're practically always guaranteed to find a tee time on pretty much any day apart from the very rare occasion. The 2 courses are very different and offer different challenges depending on what you're looking for. It's nice to be able to mix it up between the old and the new and stops it getting stale.

Like all clubs, it has its good and bad points but it's hard to deny the value for money when you compare it to other courses in the area. And if you were to pick Headfort up and drop it in/around Dublin then you'd easily expect the membership fees to more than double.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Innish_Rebel

A very poor 5 for me.

Mahony's Point, Fota, Cork GC, Mount Juliet & Old Head.

Definitely need to add some links courses to the resume.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭paulos53

58 for me with a trip planned in the summer that will cover another 3. I am counting a couple of courses like Adare that have been renovated and could be considered a different course from the one that I have played.

Ulster is the big gap for me as Donegal is the only one of the 9 counties that I have played in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭blue note

Forgive me - I don't know how to paste a table in boards. The below is the Golf Ireland list from this year and the last Golf Digest one (2020). It's interesting to see the two side by side. I don't think all that much would have changed in most of those courses, so by and large you are comparing like with like. Any course that didn't make the other list I assumed to be joint 101st.

It's funny to see a few courses with very different rankings in both - Concra 35th vs 63rd, Strandhill 63rd vs 34th, Ardglass 75th vs 44th. And Tramore and Mount Woseley in at 47th and 65th in the Golf Digest list not featuring in the Golf Ireland list at all. But you can see scanning through it that the further down the list you go the less 10, 15 or even 20 places of a difference make.

GD GI Diff Course

2 1 1 Royal Portrush

3 2 1 Portmarnock

1 3 -2 Royal County Down

4 4 0 Lahinch

6 5 1 Ballybunion (Old Course)

8 6 2 County Louth (Baltray)

10 7 3 The Golf Course at Adare Manor

7 8 -1 Waterville Golf Links

5 9 -4 Tralee

14 10 4 The Island

N/A 11 N/A St Patrick's Golf Links

19 12 7 Belmullet (Carne Golf Links)

12 13 -1 County Sligo

9 14 -5 The European Club

13 15 -2 Enniscrone

23 16 7 Trump International Golf Links - Doonbeg

21 17 4 The K Club (Palmer)

11 18 -7 Ballyliffin (Glashedy)

24 19 5 Royal Dublin

25 20 5 Portsalon

15 21 -6 Portstewart (Strand)

20 22 -2 Ballyliffin (Old Links)

28 23 5 Druids Glen Hotel & Golf Resort

22 24 -2 Dooks

16 25 -9 Old Head Golf Links

17 26 -9 Portmarnock Hotel & Golf Links

37 27 10 Slieve Russell Hotel & Country Club

29 28 1 Killeen Castle

30 29 1 Narin & Portnoo

38 30 8 Connemara Golf Links

27 31 -4 Rosapenna Hotel & Golf Resort (Sandy Hills)

18 32 -14 Mount Juliet

32 33 -1 Cork

63 34 29 Strandhill

33 35 -2 Fota Island Hotel & Golf Resort (Deerpark)

26 36 -10 Donegal (Murvagh)

43 37 6 Malone

45 38 7 Carlow

54 39 15 Luttrellstown Castle

41 40 1 Carton House Hotel & Golf Resort (Montgomerie)

34 41 -7 Castlerock

40 42 -2 Headfort (New)

71 43 28 Galgorm Castle

75 44 31 Ardglass

61 45 16 Dromoland Castle

39 46 -7 Lough Erne Resort

31 47 -16 Rosapenna Hotel & Golf Resort (Old Tom Morris)

58 48 10 Portumna

36 49 -13 Killarney Golf & Fishing Club (Killeen)

53 50 3 Galway Bay Golf Resort

52 51 1 Belvoir Park

64 52 12 Powerscourt (West Course)

56 53 3 Hermitage

44 54 -10 Palmerstown Stud

60 55 5 Ballybunion (Cashen)

48 56 -8 Carton House Hotel & Golf Resort (O’Meara)

68 57 11 Tullamore

46 58 -12 The K Club (Smurfit)

67 59 8 Rosslare

59 60 -1 Royal Belfast

50 61 -11 The Heritage

55 62 -7 Bunclody

35 63 -28 Concra Wood

94 64 30 Rathsallagh

72 65 7 Dingle Golf Links (Ceann Sibéal)

92 66 26 New Forest

87 67 20 Castle

62 68 -6 Arklow Golf Links

78 69 9 Westport

90 70 20 Grange

80 71 9 Tulfarris Hotel & Golf Resort

81 72 9 Farnham Estate Hotel & Golf Resort

101 73 28 Moyvalley

84 74 10 Galway

74 75 -1 Esker Hills

97 76 21 St Anne’s Golf Links

57 77 -20 Seapoint

83 78 5 Castlemartyr Hotel & Golf Resort

69 79 -10 Powerscourt (East Course)

86 80 6 Mullingar

51 81 -30 Dun Laoghaire

82 82 0 St Margaret’s

88 83 5 Druids Heath

101 84 17 Royal County Down (Annesley)

66 85 -19 Clandeboye

89 86 3 Laytown & Bettystown

101 87 14 Headfort (Old)

73 88 -15 Glasson Country House Hotel & Golf Club

96 89 7 Macreddin

93 90 3 Killarney Golf & Fishing Club (Mahony’s Point)

101 91 10 North West

101 92 9 Royal Curragh

77 93 -16 Ballinrobe

85 94 -9 Dundalk

101 95 6 Naas

95 96 -1 Blainroe

101 97 4 Moyola Park

101 98 3 Malahide

70 99 -29 Castletroy

101 100 1 Spa

47 101 -54 Tramore

65 101 -36 Mount Wolseley Hotel & Golf Resort

76 101 -25 Shannon

79 101 -22 Knightsbrook Hotel & Golf Resort

91 101 -10 Woodenbridge

98 101 -3 Dundrum House

99 101 -2 Castleknock

100 101 -1 Roganstown

42 N/A N/A Hogs Head

49 N/A N/A Royal Portrush (Valley)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Have managed 55 of them myself which is actually more than I was expecting to be honest.

A few on there that I'm friends of members that I haven't managed to get out on, so will need to give them a nudge 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Marty1983

20 - Castletroy, Killarney(Mahonys), Glasson Lakehouse, Castlemartyr, Galway, Dingle, Ballybunion (cashen), Galway bay, Killarney (kileen), portumna, Fota, Cork, Kileen Castle, Old Head, Dooks, Tralee, Waterville , Adare Manor and Ballybunion old for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

53 for me.

• Advertisement

Has anyone played Trump place ? aka Doonbeg ?

Must be unreal if it is ahead of the course that are mentioned in Donegal alone ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Yeah, nice out and back course, the 10th actually takes you further away from the hotel, only let down by its greens which were still settling in after being rebuilt 2/3 years previously at the time I played it. There’s a good YT video of Louis Oosthuizen played it with Radar

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Doonbeg is lovely. Not the toughest course in the world but aesthetically it’s as nice as Lahinch. Best bunkers I’ve ever played a shot from (unfortunately for my sake 😒)

Nice mix of short and long par 3s, one reachable par 4 that’s extremely narrow and another reachable one with a bomb drive with the wind.

Anyone know if Doonbeg play winter mats or temp greens - just seen it is "only" 75 euro - and as them things go these days - that is on cheaper side ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Mats

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭golfer79

Exactly 20 for me I believe and a fair spread if I do say so considering I only took up golf in 2015.

Cork, Fota, Castlemartyr, Old Head, Dooks, Tralee, Waterville, Ceann Sibeál, Enniscrone, Strandhill, Rosses Point, Rosapenna x3, Portsalon, Naas, Palmerstown House, Mount Juliet, Carton x2.

Hopefully add another couple this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ncawley

In your opinion what’s the most over rated course there?

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭thewobbler

Royal Belfast at 60 seems odd. It’s a fun and enjoyable trek with some memorable quirks , but it’s not a great course.

O’Meara at 56 is always overrated on all these listings.. Yes it’s got an amen corner. But it’s just mediocre apart from that.

Galgorm Castle at 43. I know they spend a fortune adding to it every year. But it’s fundamentally a boring walk. All shine, no substance. This type of golfing experience shouldn’t be encouraged.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

It’s always a very fair list. The first year was when the difficult decisions were made.

I’ve played 63 of them. The ones i haven’t are some of the parklands in the 2nd half of the list.

I do think St Patrick’s will eventually be talked about in the same breath as Lahinch and Ballybunion. It’s that good and I’d recommend everyone play it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Amazing to myself, I have played 26 of them. I've walked another dozen. I might try get a few more this year

Advertisement