Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2025 Irish Presidential candidates

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,920 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Christ, imagine Dana or Sean Gallagher or Peter Casey as a European Commissioner? It'd be a national disaster.

Life ain't always empty.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Oh I agree with you 100% and you make a good case, but we both know when it comes to politics the reptile brain can take over and false narratives get drummed out up out of selective outrage. "Unelected President" is just gonna invite a lot of stupid nonsense if it became a genuine referendum angle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

The ambassadorial role of the President means that they have to be warm and personable, be comfortable in front of camera's, is articulate and can deliver a speech while also being able to field questions and come across as genuine when talking candidly. I think this lends itself to an election contest, of the people who go forward, the person who is best in these qualities is most likely to win a popular vote.

Just giving it to someone could be a disaster, particularly if that person is a largely unknown civil servant. It would likely result in the role changing from what it is. In that case, I'd rather we scrap the Presidency and subsume the legislative powers into another existing role.

I wonder if there is someone from the world of sport who will come forward. They will have a certain profile already, have represented already (albeit in a very different capacity), be comfortable when the focus of attention, will have experience in interacting with different types of people, etc. Someone like Sonia O'Sullivan could be good, I have no idea if she would have any interest but it's just an example of someone who I could see being popular.

We had an unelected head of state a little over 100 years ago, there is no way the Irish people will vote to go back to something similiar.

Life ain't always empty.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

• Advertisement

Not quite the same but a hard sell nonetheless.

Life ain't always empty.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

No. But an emotive enough argument that it'd trump reality.

I think the only way the idea would gain traction would be if we had a President who was uniquely awful, incompetent or maybe just dangerous. Then perhaps people might consider the post's value.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Many public appointments are made without a direct vote from the public.

Taoiseach is the most obvious. All ministers are also appointed. All judges are appointed, including SC judges who can have massive effects on everyday lives.

In fact, the President might be the only public position that is directly appointed by direct election, and there have been very few occasions since we have had a President, the the office holder has made ANY decisions of any import that affects the general publics lives in any way whatsoever.

In fact, I find it hard to imagine any possible decision that could affect anyone in a serious matter at all. Suggestions would be welcome.

Thankfully the damage a rogue President here (unlike, say, France or the US) could do is quite limited. Powers tightly circumscribed by the Constituion, and can't travel abroad without government permission.

Life ain't always empty.

All of which I agree with but I think I'm coming at this more cynically inclined towards the likely public reaction. We've already seen with previous presidential election that there's a massive delusion about what the role is or allows. Can't see 2025 being any different. Gallagher and Casey waffling on about economic manifestos - and they're the ones that _should_ know better.

• Advertisement

Well, the politicians can shut the door on the candidates like either of those, or any rogue candidates.

A candidate must be nominated by quite a number of politicians - it cannot happen by accident.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,314 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Not wanting an unelected head of state is both perfectly reasonable and the mainstream idea. Suggesting a referendum on it would fail due to malevolent forces and reptile brain is fairly offensive and also fairly silly.

Is there any country in the world with an appointed bureaucratic head of state?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭Field east

Ml McDonald would tick a lot of boxes. He, IMO be a very safe pair of hands, has a lot of the experience needed. He may not be everyone’s’ cup of tea BUT we must look beyond our personal biases - especially since the selection is limited

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭kazamo

If the president became unelected would we notice any difference.

The Politicans decide who ends up on the ballot paper and has every president we have had, run for Dáil Éireann ?.

Seems like we are restricted anyway 🤔

Michael McDowell maybe? I see he's floating about today, and TBH I didn't even think he was still alive. Yeah he's in the senate but that doesn't negate what I say, same difference 😂

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

McDowell would be a terrible, terrible choice. Reactionary contrarian right winger.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Mary McAleese didn’t as far as I know.

edit: seems she did in 1987

Knew she did, checked Mary Robinson before posting.

Might be one from the distant past, but it’s a closed political shop for a while

• Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

when I think about it she was involved with FF and she was nominated by them so you’d have assumed she ran for election somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

McGregor would genuinely be in with a shot but I believe he'd be best off waiting another 2 presidential terms. The more old people who die and the more young people who can vote the better he'll do. He's idolised by teenagers.

Personally I'd like Gerry Adams to go. He'd be a shoe in IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭myfreespirit

"Personally I'd like Gerry Adams to go. He'd be a shoe in IMO."

In the words of another well-known Northern politician - 'Never, never, never...'

Adams is quite unfit to be a TD, never mind the First Citizen. Fortunately, the Irish electorate is generally somewhat discerning, so Adams chances are zilch.

Thankfully.

Oh good god no……if we are going to make a mockery of it, might as well go for Dustin the Turkey.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,314 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

If we made the King the head of state a la Canada would we notice any difference? There are still innumerable reasons why we wouldn't do that.

I have issues with the nomination process for president and think the reappointment of McAleese was pretty gross. This is not an argument for throwing out the concept of an elected head of state.

Suspected it wouldn’t take long for the King of England Armageddon alternative to be brought up 😂

President of Ireland is a ceremonial position with state visits, accepting new ambassadors credentials, few speeches and attendance to all major sporting events at home.

Nominations are decided by Politicans and we keep electing Politicans or wannabe Politicans to the job.

Why not save ourselves the bull that we have a choice, and save some money on a race for a ceremonial role.

Let the Dail and Seanad decide……and shock horror….they may even have a full Dáil Éireann for the vote 😮

I used to be interested in presidential debates, but when the incumbent doesn’t even bother showing up, not exactly a good look.

My apologies. I meant Michael McDowell - senator

Would he not ‘balance out’ the left winger who will see out his 14 years in the position. I don’t think that MMcD would do as many solo runs as the present incumbant

Based on his media articles, I'd expect a bonkers solo run every week

• Registered Users Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Some one who covers up for his rapist brother, and an actual [redacted]

Some interesting role models you have….

• Advertisement

No, he is a loose cannon = a contrarian, a person with an opinion on everything, even if it is wrong as most are.

Advertisement