Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2025 Irish Presidential candidates

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Everyone's concerned about that stuff. It's just where it lies in their priorities is the issue. Fortunately they actually poll that stuff and typically it ranks way down on the list of priorities for most people.

And yes of course she isn't anti-farmer but farmers accuse anyone who suggests that our current agricultural practices aren't sustainable of being anti-farmer.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Michael D Higgins is/was something of an idealistic and intellectual politician: so maybe if we do look to the ideal of what an Irish President is, it should be someone who is ... well, sure, talks high-minded rhetoric 'cos in the absence of any legislative power that's, all they can bring (bar the constitutionality angle WRT to new bills)

So maybe a good candidate outside the Political world might be a poet, author or someone working in the arts whose path trends more in the public eye? Someone who like Higgins can and does speak eloquently towards our ideals of a better world or Ireland, without delusions about what they can bring in any pragmatic sense.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

There's a former politician that's a bit similar which is Martin Mansergh, but he's 77 already

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

That's the other interesting aspect I'd meant to comment on: all the suggestions thus far, as far as I can see, are people north of 65; no more than America's current anxiety over ageing candidates, it'd be preferable if whoever runs in 2025 are younger men or women.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Particularly as its expected here that the President will serve 14 years, not 8-maybe-4 like the US.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,247 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Michael D's idealism led to him overstepping the mark on more than one occasion. His praise of despots in Cuba and Venezuela were particularly distasteful, to put it mildly.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Surely a person over 65 would be quite capable of doing the onerous task of turning up to the opening of an envelope, meeting the ambassadors in the Aras when they first arrive, signing the odd legal bill intp law, and making the odd speech.

Now the USA has different demands on their president and that is quite a different issue. Neither of those candidates should stand, but for different reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,059 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The chances of any "you'd never have heard of me if I wasn't on a TV series" candidate are thankfully nil, that fad is over and the candidates it produced were useless.

Had to look up who Éanna Ní Lamhna was and I'd certainly not be the only voter in that boat. I see that she appears on TV series I never watch...

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Yeah but you also said that one of your favourite politicians was Hitler, so forgive me if I think you don't quite grasp the requirements of the role.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,123 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Mairead McGuinness would be a great candidate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,123 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Quick off tangent question.

Had MD actually died in the last week (god forbid), what is the procedure for the irish presidency?

Do we just do without one for how ever long it takes to organise a new campaign, or is there an interim plan in place?

Undoubtedly: the role shouldn't be and isn't particularly taxing, but nor would I like it to just become some retirement gig for any high-minded ex politician or public figure. It's a tricky needle to thread because - let's be blunt here - it rivals only the senate in terms of legislative pointlessness in Ireland's political structure. Thus it's not exactly an enticing prospect for those whose careers might still have plenty of legs left in them; to them, the Presidency might seem like a bit of a dead end. Not sure what the answer is then, just that it'd be "nice" to have someone who can see out the probable 14 years without keeling over halfway through.

Mad question: but are there any functioning democracies out there who don't have a President or "top of the pyramid" style individual? Always got the impression Germany's president was a bit of a non-role given the Chancellor, like our Taoiseach, appears to be the one who fronts up the government; while various constitutional monarchies would have their king/queen as nominal head of state.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

Well, it has happened before, when Erskine Childers died in office in 1974. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erskine_Hamilton_Childers#Death

I'm not going to look up the Consitution now but I think the Council of State may fulfil any essential tasks in the event of a vacancy.

The Presidential Commission take control on death or resignation (which has happened, twice)

That is the Chief Justice, the Ceann Comhairle and the Cathaoirleah of the Seanad.

They actually do day to day stuff when the president is abroad fairly frequently

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Not sure if people in earlier posts were joking or not, but actually a TV presenter or journalist could be a good option for this role.

Somebody like Miriam or Pat Kenny are articulate and could hold their own in any political discussion, but not supposed to be giving their own opinions. they are used to welcoming guests, trying to put them at ease.

OK, RTE people aren't so popular at the moment but my point is that it certainly does not need to be an ex-politician. Just somebody with an understanding of how politics and diplomacy works.

@pixelburp AFAIK the role of the German president is not too dissimilar to ours - to protect the Constitution but primarily act as a figurehead. i.e. head of state, not head of government. Much prefer that to the US / French style presidential model tbh (too much power in one pair of hands) or Czech, etc where the president can pretty much veto anything they (don't) like, remember when their prez was playing silly buggers over an EU treaty which their parliament had endorsed?

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Danny healy ray

I see no one has mentioned that mighty man from South kerry with the cap

he would win it by landslide if I do say

• Registered Users Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Not a hope. Yeah sure he was involved in the peace process but for a lot of people he was one of those politicians who was wheeled out continuously to defend FF and Bertie during the crash on the Vincent Browne show.

Kerry yes, maybe even other Munster constituencies but your username notwithstanding, the media presence of the Healy-Rays does not necessarily equate to widespread public support.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,904 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Other than former politicians no one immediately springs to my mind as a good candidate. I know they are out there, but my mind is a blank. Anyway, the format for selection of a candidate is political anyway so go figure.

I'd like to see something like an endorsement/nomination from the Citizen's Assembly or a similar set up in addition to the current system. Just to try and take the "non political" role of President out of the total control of politics.

That would mean another Constitutional Referendum I think, not sure..... can you see that happening!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

There is another option for President.

The Chief Justice, head of the Supreme Court, could be moved over to be President for a sojourn of say four or five years or until retirement age for a CJ. This would be an ex-officio position, and s/he would be replaced as CJ on appointment as President.

The position of CJ is above politics, as is the President. Legal training, while not essential for President, would be an asset, and who better qualified but the Chief Justice? The Chief Justice is already a member of the Presidential Commission, so carries out Presidential duties when the occasion demands it..

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Danny healy ray

micheal worked for all rural foke all over ireland and he always gets a great welcome in Dublin more votes than micky d would be very possible

I'm gonna go ahead and just say that with that username, your view might be a bit skewed towards a certain favouritism.

And, once more, it's not about how popular you are, but whether you can get support of 20 TDs or 4 local authorities to get on the ballot in the first instance. By all accounts, if any Healy-Ray believed they'd get that they're welcome to try and run.

And given the Healy-Ray's preference to keep things "local" in terms of direct action, why would an ambassadorial role like hte Presidency curry any enthusiasm for them? Can't fix the road from the Áras.

Honestly, that's about the best proposal I've seen for replacing - rather than removing - the Presidency, though it would perhaps come under fire for being a non-elected role.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Mod: @Danny healy ray please read the forum charter if you want to post in this forum. Any more rubbish should be posted somewhere else e.g. After Hours

@pixelburp

The election of President makes it a political role while it is meant to be non-political in nature.

Furthermore, a candidate can only get on the ballot paper with the sanction of a large number of politicians - normally driven by party loyalties or contrariness. That to me is a contradiction in normal logic. Politicians nominating a candidate for a non-political role appears wrong.

I am suggesting the role becomes an ex-officio role of the judiciary, with the candidate being selected from the Supreme Court - usually the Chief Justice.

I cannot see why any objection would be raised to it - but of course there would be. It gets over the age qualification, the suitability question, and legal training - particularly in constitutional law.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,074 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

At work so I can't look up the Vincent Browne appearance but I remember it being equal parts hilarious, bizarre and calamitous while Wikipedia describes an incident where he told someone not to question their betters when they were discussing Bertie's finances.

He'd be a disaster.

I suspect the referendum required to allow that would fail by a huge margin

Agreed, but as we've see you'll get enough pushback from those arguing about why our Taoiseach isn't elected - it'd be leagues worse if the referendum came forward to make the Presidency a non-elected position. It'd be taken over by every Bad Faith merchant and worrywart trying to make it seem a darker, more autocratical move than it would be - your point about the paradoxical element of the current system (non-political position requiring political approval) an intellectual one that'd potentially run foul of every anti-government voice out there.

• Advertisement

Well, of course every change is opposed.

However, the Supreme Court is not elected. The Chief Justice is not elected. So why should the President be?

We could (and should) elect our European Commissioner, but we do not. Why? It is a much more relevant position than President.

Advertisement