Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2025 Irish Presidential candidates

Options
  • 21-02-2024 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Who do you think will contest the next Presidential election in Ireland? I myself have a few predictions:

Fine Gael

I definitely think Fine Gael will contest it. They have a number of candidates that have floated the idea of a presidential run.

Enda Kenny - 72 - Mayo

Frances Fitzgerald - 72 - Limerick

Heather Humphreys - 60 - Monaghan

Mairead McGuinness - 63 - Louth

I think Enda Kenny would be extremely gaff prone. He's also not particularly friendly, so he might make other leaders and politicians uncomfortable.

Fianna Fáil

I don't think Fianna Fáil will run a candidate, they don't have a lot of good or charismatic choices. But there are only two obvious choices if they do decide to.

Bertie Ahern - 71 - Dublin

Éamon Ó Cuív - 73 - Dublin

Ahern would be an em-em-embarrassment, but I don't think he could do much harm.

Sinn Féin

Adams has said he wouldn't want to run. I think he and the Army Council Sinn Féin know he has too many skeletons in the closet.

Liadh Ní Riada - 57 - Dublin

She has a chance as a relatively younger, female candidate. She was the SF candidate last election, and she probably only had low support because Mickey D was running.

Independents

Conor McGregor - 35 - Dublin

We've had Peter Casey and Séan Gallagher do very well, so McGregor may throw his hat into the ring. I very much doubt he'd get very far, but the election might be made a little more fun watching him mess up his campaign and make constant blunders.

There is a clear open spot for a centre-left or progressive candidate who could do pretty well. Either another Higgins type or a Mary Robinson/McAleese type. They will probably appear the closer we get to the election. It is still over a year out!

I'd be happy to hear other people's opinions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,249 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Joe Duffy is finishing up in RTE soon enough ya know and has been plamasing the electorate that tend to vote for a few years now. Man of de people and all that. Given his liking for FF... watch that space.

McGregor might give it a lash alright.

I'm not a great fan of FG but Enda would have a decent chance, I think you're quite wrong about him, he's personable, fit and has a good public profile.

No doubt there'll have to be a women on the list or Mná na hEireann won't be too happy....

• Registered Users Posts: 41 notJoeJoe

Oh man, Joe Duffy for president that would be sweet lmao.

Also, eh, I've just heard stories about Enda being a bit of a gobshite is all. But sure all politicians kinda are

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The question about a centre left candidate is whether Green-Labour-SD will have 20 reps between them to nominate someone.

Currently they easily do (16 Green, 11 Labour, 6 Soc Dem Oireachtas reps plus a handful of centre left independents) but it might be a lot tighter if SF don't keep slipping votes from that area of the electorate.

I'd expect parties to be very strict on their councillors nominating this time out so there may be no council nominations.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,194 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

"A candidate must be nominated by either: (a) not less than 20 members of the Oireachtas (Parliament), or (b) at least 4 City/County/City and County Councils. A member of the Oireachtas or a City/County/City and County Council may not nominate more than one candidate at the same election. A former or the retiring President may nominate himself or herself as a candidate."

Cannot see McGregor meeting that condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,707 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

If he decides not to contest his Dáil seat, Martin could be a decent short for FF. Bertie and EOC wouldn't get close to being successful so I doubt the party would want to put them forward.

I think McGuinness would do a good job and I'd say would have a good chance of winning. I don't think Kenny would have a chance, there are a lot of people with a strong dislike of him. His constituency mate Ring would probably have a better chance, he may not run for the Dáil again. I always thought highly of Richard Bruton and think he would do a good job, not sure he'd be interested though.

I doubt LNR has a high enough profile to win, very little electoral success. Hard to see who SF would nominate, anyone with ambition likely want to stay/become a TD as they could be part of the next government and they can't go to someone who would highlight paramilitary connections (Ferris, Ellis, etc.).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Did liadh ni riada SF not run last time and polled very poorly?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Yes. She failed to get her expenses back, by a huge margin - the expenses level was ~184k votes and SF got ~94k

SF had a series of poor to appalling elections - 2018 Presidential, 2019 Locals and 3/4 of the 2019 by-elections - the won one of them, but not by much.

Everything changed in *three months* between those by-elections and the General.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,119 ✭✭✭✭Water John

A bit too early to having a detailed look esp as GE will come before it. Enda is quite affable, just comes across a bit stiff on TV. Would do well, if he wants to run. Would Sean Kelly MEP have a go? FF will have someone, def not Bertie. O'Callaghan might run for them, esp if he doesn't get a cabinet position. Ceann Comhairle might consider it, well thought of. Lb may be bruised by the GE but may endorse a broad left candidate. Catherine Connolly would be a good call. The correct candidate for that space could do well again. SF will probably run someone, don't think Liadh wants any more elections. Pearse Doherty maybe if they aren't in Govn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Kigerajoe

I think ahern would make a great president. Kenny is dull

• Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I actually backed Enda Kenny for this a couple of years ago at 40/1. I'm not too confident about that bet now as I think that Mairead McGuiness was the favourite to get the FG nomination last time I checked.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I do not understand why political parties put forward party candidates for what is basically a non-party-political position.

The President must be above politics, so why make it a party political contest?

Because the nomination system effectively requires parties to do so.

Only two parties have ever won and two large parties still really really really want to.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Well quite a lot of candidates got onto the ballot paper without party support - like Dana.

It is a kind of political patronage - like getting a judge appointed who must immediately disavow the political connection.

The council nominated candidates have all been very, very poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,059 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Do we even need one?

Runs for cover

As Michael D Higgins is a Labour politician, I was initially going to contradict you, but then I realised you are correct - there has never been a FG President, Mary Robinson and Michael D were both Labour Party, and the only non-FF Presidents.

Mary Robinson and Michael D were both Labour Party, and the only non-FF Presidents

That's not technically true. Both Douglas Hyde and Cearbhall Ó Dálaigh were consensus picks among the major parties at the time and thus were elected without any election being held.

To get really into the weeds - Presidents who run for a second term do so as Independents since they don't require party nominations to run again.

It is true to say that a candidate nominated by FG has never won a contested Irish Presidential election.

O'Dalaigh was Attorney General under two FF governments, and had been a member of the FF National Executive. An FF party member and supporter.

Hyde, yes that is true, was non-party.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,008 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Regarding Conor he would not go near it , the effort required for this is unreal and its to risky and he really doesn't want people digging into what he has been up to last few years which would be terrible for his brand. Their will be an indy candidate who will run from the right but I suspect he will be more serious than Conor but who that this who knows!

On Liadh I think she was only selected because the big hitters knew it would be a waste of time so don't see her as runner this time especially as she flopped on the day.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Also, the effort required just to get on the ballot would be effort driven and an obvious gatekeep for what amounts to yet another gimmick candidate.

Not unlike Peter Casey or the like, there's an American inflected presumption you go "I'm running for president" and you just get on the ballot after a few and registration form. Though in the case of Casey he jumped the hoops, he just had this idiot idea the President had legislative power.

McGregor's first hurdle, and I daresay those speaking loudest that he should run aren't aware of this, would be getting the support and signatures. How likely would it be that 20 TDs or 4 local authorities give him the official nod? I'd say very very slim TBH.

If the big 3 + smaller 3 political parties don't absolutely sit on their councillors to block all council nominations I would be astounded. And no council will be close to an Ind+Oth majority

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Which you'd presume would kill off all this insane McGregor chatter outside of the die hard anti-migrant niche who have taken him on as their Musk'ian idol.

I know Higgins hasn't been everyone's cup of tea but to my mind has been a quintessential Irish President, insofar as the title cam be understood. It's a high minded ambassadorial rule with some perfunctory legislative obligations; having had Higgins be a broadly well liked idealist for 14 years will obviously be big shoes to fill.

Like, I can't see many charming children's books being written about whoever comes after.

That's exactly why I feel very apathetic to our potential candidates at the moment. Is this really the best we're being offered? We deserve better.

If we end up with another President who is just some old politician who has spent his decades in the ranks of a party, I can't see there being much of a reason to continue having a presidency.

I feel like the last three presidents have really set a tone for what a president should be. They should be someone you can be proud of having as the representative of your country (or at least not an international embarrassment), and, hopefully, someone people could look up to or be inspired by.

They should be someone you can be proud of having as the representative of your country (or at least not an international embarrassment), and, hopefully, someone people could look up to or be inspired by

I was proud of Higgins, he is a good egg, And for a lot of people that was Higgins too, who apart from setting an idealistic tone about a compassionate Ireland, understood the actual role perfectly - more than the spoofers like Gallagher or Casey who thought it was the White House. As I said you don't become a children's toy or books without becoming well loved by many.

But given the nature of the role all that can be asked are retired politicians or figureheads cos that's what the role asks of you. A bit of diplomacy, a bit of ambassadorial work, and the smallest part of the legislative branch of government.

Unfortunately I don't know who in the public sphere matches Higgins "twinkly eyed" irishness that'd go down as well as he did. But the starting point would have to be: do you know what the role involves?

Post edited by pixelburp on

• Registered Users Posts: 24,386 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Gallagher in particular done my head in with his utter shte talk about being a president who will prioritise a strong economy. Either utterly clueless or disingenuous.

Can't really think of anyone to get behind right now. Certainly no one will live up to Michael D for me as he was exactly what I would want from a president.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,492 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Aurelian

I think Enda Kenny would be extremely gaff prone. He's also not particularly friendly, so he might make other leaders and politicians uncomfortable.

Gaff prone and might not be electable but "not friendly"... he's usually described as someone who absolutely everybody who meets likes, even opponents. Extremely personable. Doesn't quiet come across like that on TV though.

What I meant was, it felt like Childers, Hillery, de Valera etc. were essentially given the Presidency for the long time they had served in politics and their parties. Higgins wasn't that, he actually brought something to the table as a president and wasn't just handed it for his 'service' to the country.

Interestingly, Mary 1 and Mary 2 were both 46 when they became president. In 2025, a 46 year old would have been born in 1979!

• Advertisement

Kenny wasn't a good debater or public speaker but that doesn't mean that he wasn't charismatic. I know someone who worked for the IDA in America. They saw both Kenny and Varadkar meet with CEOs of large American companies. They said there was no comparison between them. Kenny had them eating out of his hand whereas Varadkar was aloof and standoffish.

Advertisement