Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

March Referendums

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Gudstock

I hope the trend here is reflected in greater society! And they turn out on the day!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,634 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Same as - indeed part of me thinks the whole thing was concocted to deflect attention from this governments failures in housing, cost of living, immigration etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭amacca

No and No too. I have zero faith in these chancers to not make a complete balls of anything....and roughly the same amount of mistrust in any other tools elected

I see some party mentioned they'd run it again if it got no votes....makes a mockery of voting if so and its run without clear wording....

I agree too in that I think it's just a sideshow

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭bb12

Catherine Martin blatantly lying on 2 occasions now is absolutely astonishing. no and no.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

No and no, this government cant be trusted its been an absolute shitsjow since they got into power.

Thats the link to Ben Scallan asking a legitimate question and the three stooks walk off stage. Not sure if its working but its on the Gript Medis FB page. I dont subscribe to any online newspapers but was considering signing up to gript the last few weeks and that clip has made uo my mind to support them now.

Better living everyone

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Where did these referendums come from? Were they in the programme for government or just random ideas that have been around for years and finally getting their day out?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

There is so little factual information about regarding these referendums until now when we will get an over load that I am thinking of voting no to both for no other reason except you are better off with the devil you know than the devil you don't..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Augme

A hugh turn out means this will be a convincing yes. A low turn-out will be better for the no side.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

The refusal by government to share notes of meetings with Senator's, regarding discussions they had with the dept of finance, about changes to taxation, pension and inheritance if this referendum is passed, means I'm voting NO, the reason given not to share the notes was, " it would not be in the public interest" so it's obvious there hiding something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Durable relationships? WTF is that?

Bullshit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Cran

Yes and yes, don’t see anything wrong with durable relationship’s as language constitution tends to be vague then legislation covers the definition. Marriage as only definition of family is outdated and needs to be changed.

changing the definition of woman in the home is needed. Now I have huge issue with how as a society we provide care, but that’s a separate discussion to this referendum.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭youllbemine

I believe it was in the Green’s election manifesto.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭smallbeef

Yeah it was.

More proof that vegans can't think straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭KevMayo88

What is to stop a mistress from making a claim on her lovers' estate upon his death, by suggesting under the amendment that she and him were in a "durable relationship", and that because of such she is entitled to recompense and support from his estate?

I don’t know who to vote for in the next election. Or in the local elections for that matter. Might have to go independent across the board. Can’t relate to or agree with with main parties on many policies of late. This referendum has really shown me how much they are prepared to lie.

I don’t mind if they come back with a reasonable re-wording but being told that we will have to vote on this again if the wrong result is returned is pure and utter bull. Are we living in a dictatorship? They will try any tactic to get it over the line. Lie, mislead and now even threaten. Outrageous behaviour from our elected representatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,363 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Which party said we'd revote? It's Green Party thing and was part of their acceptance to be in government. The other 2 parties agreed to let them have their referendum as part of the coalition talks.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭lmk123

I was actually going to vote yes to both until I read this, I’d rather s**t in my hands and clap than agree with the Greens

Speculation nothing based in fact, wife & kids would have stronger claim based on legislation. There’s an awful lot of this or that on stuff at the moment with no basis in reality or fact.

Sinn Fein. Who have proved that they actually aren’t that different to what we currently have in power. They are no longer the opposition party they are trying to be (or we’re trying to be). They seem to be happy to tow the government line on most topics.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/mary-lou-mcdonald-says-sinn-fein-will-re-run-referendums-on-family-and-care-if-they-do-not-pass/a205864146.html

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭leoch

Don't know wats it's about or give 2 fcuks about it but will vote no and no if the greens are all for it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭KevMayo88

Without question, if that referendum passes, there will come an occasion whereby a mistress will use the "durable relationship" as a means of attempting to justify a claim on her lover's estate. Completely spurious and without merit I agree, but I am certain the "durable relationship" will be tested in the courts in this or a similar manner.

What’s the problem though? If proved (which would take a lot) dug your own hole if not that’s it, don’t see the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Do dictatorships hold a lot of referendums? 😉

Hard to know who to vote for in any election all right.

I don’t what way to vote in this referendum, must read up on em. But I think voting a certain way, just to go against one individual/party isn’t the best plan long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,363 ✭✭✭roosterman71

What's the definition of "durable relationship"? I've a durable relationship with my plumber in that he's a reliable sort and I can give him a shout when I'm stuck. Is he entitled to my estate if this passes?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,814 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭amacca

Well if one were literal it could be a relationship which can withstand wear, pressure, or damage; a hard-wearing relationship.

Maybe I'm looking at this all wrong, if anyone comes looking for the farm after breaking up with me I can say by definition it clearly wasn't a durable relationship and they can feck right off!🙃

Durable relationship, such bolox ...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Augme

But how exactly can a person justify that? Where in the Constitution does it say they would he entitled to their economic interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

If the referendum is passed will the property and inheritance rights of people in a durable relationship be the same as a married couple ? if so then the courts will be busy

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Hungry Burger

If it comes from ROG’s department you can bet your bottom dollar it’s not in you or your family’s interest.

Vote No, No.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

I'm thinking of taking an ABG (Anybody But Greens) approach and my starting position is to oppose whatever the Greens say.

I'm open to persuasion (as the lady sang) but anything the Greens want is usually just a D4 brainfart, and rarely in the interest of those outside the Greens little utopian bubble.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement